Anyone Else Like Beer Memorabilia?

-
The Champagne of Beer. Love how the new jingle has conveniently left out the line, "beer after beer!"

"Lights up but doesn't scroll $600". Now I had already done my research and knew that these things are selling for $1000 on eBay
A friend buys and sells Hamm's memorabilia, and got a pallet load of those rolling waters signs. He got them cheap, cheap, cheap. Nothing wrong with that! So I ask him, since he got a deal on so many, could he give me a deal on one? He says sure,let me get them and we will talk. This is when they just hit $1000 on eBay. He tells me a few days later, scratching his chin while thinking,"yeah I'll give you a deal, $700. I passed, as I needed money for life more than a sign. I don't blame him for asking what he did, just thought maybe he'd let one go for cheap to a guy he knows doesn't have much. I guess you could say he gave me 30% off, but i could have bought from a stranger for the same price. And when I said cheap, I mean it,the seller gave them away.

But I like going into his basement, he has so much stuff, I can't believe what they made back in the day. That bear is something else. He even has a bear suit!

They're super cool. He also picked up a prohibition era delivery truck sign for cheap. People throw memorabilia and money at him.

Going back and reading my post, I have to say that those bottles were quarts...not quartz. And his cigars were King Edward, not Prince Edward. The "Prince" was Prince Albert cigarette tobacco that came in a oval shaped tin can with a hinged lid. Probably, nobody reading this gives a big crap, but I'm an engineer and I just could not let that ride without correcting it. lol.
:lol::lol:

I'm another enthusiastic beer memorabilia person. Also, a v-e-r-y longtime beer fan as well. Seeing the Miller High Life stories above brings back a tale y'all might enjoy.

I'm in my late 20's, a fresh-scrubbed and enthusiastic but inexperienced dock supervisor at a pretty good-sized LTL trucking company. At this point in life I had respectfully imbibed any number of cases of Miller, as it's tasty and economical. Elsewhere in the company, there is a terminal manager vacancy. My local manager thinks he knows who will get the job. A very close friend of his, also a terminal manager in yet another location, disagrees. A wager ensues - the loser will send the winner two cases of Miller High Life. Unbeknownst to my manager, his friend had the inside edge in corporate politics, so knew ahead of time who would get the job. My manager now owes his buddy two cases of beer.

Fast forward a couple of weeks, and the manager finds out I brew my own beer. Which means I own a bottle capper. Which means, when he starts digging around at ideas, that yes it is entirely possible to empty a bunch of beer bottles and refill them, then recap them with the original caps if you wish. If done carefully, the caps will show no signs of previous removal.

This translates into my manager, my assistant manager, and myself sitting at my dinky kitchen table opening two cases of Miller (very carefully so the caps don't appear to have been used) and drinking them. This is three guys, downing two cases of beer, in a couple of hours. Erk! As the lightweight in the crowd, I was surely floating.

Kids, don't try this at home.

But, in the 80's this was not a real stretch. The master plan was to drink the Miller (accomplished!), then refill the bottles with rot-gut to pay off the debt to the cheater that had the inside track. So, we took two cases worth of Blatz, Buckhorn, and Falstaff, mixed them together in a big popcorn bowl, refilled the empty Miller bottles using a turkey baster, and recapped the bottles.

It worked like magic. The winning recipient, having inhaled enough Miller to float a battleship, never said one tiny little peep about what the heck was in those bottles of Miller High Life. We never told him. As we're all retired now, the statute of limitations says it's OK to share the story.

I worked in bars for quite a few years and acquired a few things besides hangovers, most is packed up, but here are a couple
pieces.

20180107_105219.jpg

20180107_105254.jpg

I'm another enthusiastic beer memorabilia person. Also, a v-e-r-y longtime beer fan as well. Seeing the Miller High Life stories above brings back a tale y'all might enjoy.

I'm in my late 20's, a fresh-scrubbed and enthusiastic but inexperienced dock supervisor at a pretty good-sized LTL trucking company. At this point in life I had respectfully imbibed any number of cases of Miller, as it's tasty and economical. Elsewhere in the company, there is a terminal manager vacancy. My local manager thinks he knows who will get the job. A very close friend of his, also a terminal manager in yet another location, disagrees. A wager ensues - the loser will send the winner two cases of Miller High Life. Unbeknownst to my manager, his friend had the inside edge in corporate politics, so knew ahead of time who would get the job. My manager now owes his buddy two cases of beer.

Fast forward a couple of weeks, and the manager finds out I brew my own beer. Which means I own a bottle capper. Which means, when he starts digging around at ideas, that yes it is entirely possible to empty a bunch of beer bottles and refill them, then recap them with the original caps if you wish. If done carefully, the caps will show no signs of previous removal.

This translates into my manager, my assistant manager, and myself sitting at my dinky kitchen table opening two cases of Miller (very carefully so the caps don't appear to have been used) and drinking them. This is three guys, downing two cases of beer, in a couple of hours. Erk! As the lightweight in the crowd, I was surely floating.

Kids, don't try this at home.

But, in the 80's this was not a real stretch. The master plan was to drink the Miller (accomplished!), then refill the bottles with rot-gut to pay off the debt to the cheater that had the inside track. So, we took two cases worth of Blatz, Buckhorn, and Falstaff, mixed them together in a big popcorn bowl, refilled the empty Miller bottles using a turkey baster, and recapped the bottles.

It worked like magic. The winning recipient, having inhaled enough Miller to float a battleship, never said one tiny little peep about what the heck was in those bottles of Miller High Life. We never told him. As we're all retired now, the statute of limitations says it's OK to share the story.

Great story! I think I have some stories kinda' like that, but unfortunately the Miller High Life left a foggy barrier to reaching them at this moment.

While the Dart sits in the garage waiting on spring, the beer sign bug has bit. I bought these two today. Drove in freezing rain for an hour to pick them up at a good price.
upload_2018-2-10_20-13-34.png

upload_2018-2-10_20-14-28.png

Hamm's was bought by the Olympia Brewing Company in the mid-seventies during my dad's tenure there. They also aquired Lone Star, and thusly Buckhorn. I have a picture somewhere of Grandma Ruth with a Buckhorn in her hand.

While the Dart sits in the garage waiting on spring, the beer sign bug has bit. I bought these two today. Drove in freezing rain for an hour to pick them up at a good price.
View attachment 1715140678

View attachment 1715140679

Hamm's was bought by the Olympia Brewing Company in the mid-seventies during my dad's tenure there. They also aquired Lone Star, and thusly Buckhorn. I have a picture somewhere of Grandma Ruth with a Buckhorn in her hand.
Nice!

Thanks! The blue one needs some work. It lights up and the motor and roller turns but it's missing the plastic film that makes it look like the water is flowing. Anybody got an idea on something we could use to break up the light? Maybe some clear packing tape with parallel lines drawn on it at 45 degrees with a blue sharpie?

upload_2018-2-10_20-50-25.png

De
Thanks! The blue one needs some work. It lights up and the motor and roller turns but it's missing the plastic film that makes it look like the water is flowing. Anybody got an idea on something we could use to break up the light? Maybe some clear packing tape with parallel lines drawn on it at 45 degrees with a blue sharpie?

View attachment 1715140698
definately worth fixing, take your time, get input - ideas and do it right

I've got a guy who's the self proclaimed master of all things Hamms. I'm pretty sure the replacement foil isn't available. We'll have to make due with what we have.

I have a few packed away from when I sold one of my Bars .
This is my favorite.

20180213_193246.jpg

I didn't know where to post this and this item is going into my garage when I get one, so I'm posting it here.

I was up drinking coffee early this morning and scanning Craigslist and EstateSale.net not looking for anything in particular. I came upon an estate sale that had a picture of an old Hamm's beer sign for sale. My dad worked for Hamm's when I was young and I've always had a soft spot for the bear and other Hamm's items. The sale started two days ago and most of the good stuff is gone pretty quickly, but I thought 'what the hell?' and decided to drive the twenty minutes to go check it out. Here's the pic that they posted.

View attachment 1715127634

Once I got there I was pleasantly surprised to see the sign that said "All items 50% off" and that the Hamm's sign was still for sale! My ethusiasm faded quickly when I saw the tag that said "Lights up but doesn't scroll $600". Now I had already done my research and knew that these things are selling for $1000 on eBay but I wasn't ready to spend a bunch of money on something that needed work. The more I looked at it though, the more I realized that this thing is really "mint" for a 50 year old sign that was meant to hang in a smokey bar room somewhere. There are no chips, cracks or missing pieces. It lit up but didn't move, as described. So, remembering the 50% off, I bit the bullet and took a chance on it.

View attachment 1715127636

I carefully loaded it up into the back of my truck and rushed home, eager to tear into it. Like I said, I had already done some research and I knew that replacement motors are available as well as rollers for the scrolling scene. Four screws later and it was apart. I took the little motor out and tried to rock it back and forth a bit with the sign plugged in. After about thirty seconds I could feel the motor vibrating and trying to turn. I helped it a little and dripped a little 3 in 1 oil down the shaft and it freed up! I lightly dusted the insides with a microfibre cloth and put it back together. Here it is in all of it's glory!

This thing will proudly hang in my garage as a tribute to my dad and someday when I'm gone my kids can fight over it. I'm going to really enjoy this thing. It brings back so many memories.

I enjoyed your story. I grew up on the east side of St. Paul on White Bear Ave. I also loved the Hamm's beer commercials and Land of Sky Blue Waters memoribilia,but my favorite beer was Schmidt, also brewed in St. Paul. You found a real treasure.

Oh ****. This popped up on CL this morning. Where in the hell am I going to put a 5 foot styrofoam Bear?!?! lol j/k
upload_2018-2-15_5-51-48.png

Hamm Bear

View attachment 1715140698
I'll bet the car and trailer wrap guys or the graphics/decal guys could print you out a scene to your size. Mylar film would be best.

Nice stuff in these posts. I started brewing some beer at home. Call it "beer I can't rememorbilia"
20180204_151354.jpg

I messaged the gal back and forth a few times and couldn't believe that she accepted my offer. I went and picked up the bear! It's in pretty nice shape for it's age and will look cool sitting in the corner. Now, what do I put in his hands?
upload_2018-2-17_5-10-18.png

foto-049.jpg
Hamms-bear2.jpg
I messaged the gal back and forth a few times and couldn't believe that she accepted my offer. I went and picked up the bear! It's in pretty nice shape for it's age and will look cool sitting in the corner. Now, what do I put in his hands?
View attachment 1715142881
Didn't he have a tray with a couple beers on it?

-
Back