Anyone ever seen an odd hose like this?

-

Flashback

Reaction score
I mentioned this on the slant6 forum too. I pulled this lower radiator hose off my '66 Dart Wagon. It has dealer installed AC w/ a 273 v8 radiator (I verified radiator #). The car is a survivor in very unmolested shape so I don't think this was "rigged" up some time down the line. This wild hose is molded and wrapped closely around the timing chain cover, went underneath the front of the motor and then connected to the driver's side radiator neck. Of course I could not find a replacement and ended up "fashioning one" with two hoses. But I'm real curious if anyone has seen this before or has a similar dealer-installed system. BTW, there was a part # embossed in the hose of the rubber (that helps verify the era too!) that is 020A8 AG1. I looked on the net, but nothing.

I'm thinking this is an Agriculture related hose (thus AG) and may have been used for combind machines and haybinders which some had the ole slant six in them and no doubt Chrysler had to accomodate a variety of radiator applications (industrial line). My guess thus far.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• oddhose.bmp
    7.3 KB · Views: 707
When ya been around s'long's I have, ya see a LOT a ODD hosers

It kinda looks like the lower hose off a mid 80's 4.0L jeep motor

The car is a survivor in very unmolested shape so I don't think this was "rigged" up some time down the line.

Wrong. That's exactly what was done. The hose you show is nothing like any hose originally intended for your car. Slant-6 cars did not come with V8 radiators, they came with slant-6 radiators, which have the inlet and outlet located appropriately for the slant-6 engine.

In 1966, there were:

• four different 6-cylinder radiators and two different V8 A-body radiators,
• two different 6-cylinder and two different V8 A-body upper radiator hoses,
• Only one 6-cylinder and one V8 A-body lower radiator hose.

On your car, someone put in the wrong radiator and then dug around through a pile of hoses (or an illustrated buyer's guide) until he found a hose that would kinda work.

Your right the money slantsixdan

There were some early /6 Sweptline trucks that came with that type of hose. I have no idea why one would be in a car. Mike

Wrong. That's exactly what was done. The hose you show is nothing like any hose originally intended for your car. Slant-6 cars did not come with V8 radiators, they came with slant-6 radiators, which have the inlet and outlet located appropriately for the slant-6 engine.

On your car, someone put in the wrong radiator and then dug around through a pile of hoses (or an illustrated buyer's guide) until he found a hose that would kinda work.

Well, despite Dan's lack of good "keyboard bedside manner", I'll accept that the hose/radiator for my car was added. I still believe it may have been done by the dealer when new (as suggested by a past owner), but I'll never know. Good news is, man she runs very cool all the time!

To each his own, I suppose, but I find Dan's direct, no B.S. approach both refreshing and effective. Give me a straight answer with no flowery prose over a P.C. "mustn't hurt anybody's feelings" answer, any time!

But, that's just me.... your mileage may vary....:glasses9:

Well, despite Dan's lack of good "keyboard bedside manner"

What's that mean to you? I have an aversion to "facts" that are really guesses and assumptions and third-hand (fourth-, fifth-, sixth-) accounts of what someone thinks he remembers hearing his brother say about something he thought he understand from what he might've read somewhere. I correct such "facts" where and when I'm able. It's nothing personal.

...Or you were apparently THERE, in Texas, back around 1967 and know exactly what happened. It was a simple question. Thanks for your opinion anyway and I now know more about the set up.

It isn't Dan's OPINION...he provided facts.

Seriously...would you rather be mistaken, or now know what the real story is?

I've seen this on several boards...someone knows a lot of detailed info and the people that don't know it or don't WANT to know it get irritated when said person states facts.

I'm sorry you don't have the last ultra-rare curved bottom hose in existance but that's life! :)

I agree with Dan that the car would not have come from the factory that way but in a dealer installed situation, anything is possible. I've been a line mechanic at a dealership (and elsewhere) and have seen all kinds of modifications to cover a screwup so the mechanic doesn't have to fess up to management. Maybe the original radiator was badly
damaged during the A/C install and the mechanic had an extra V8 radiator around that he installed with your special hose. Wouldn't be the first time.....

It's a close call, but I wouldn't consider it to be a survivor even if Mark's dealership scenario had happened before the car was sold originally. To me, an important part of being a survivor is that it hasn't had anything jury-rigged by a mechanic (dealership or otherwise) or by a previous owner.

Just my opinion, which has no value whatsoever.

I probably should not jump in here, but... I had no idea there was such a specific definition for Survivor. I have a friend who is a cancer survivor, and he is not stock anymore either, he has a an aftermarket leg. But there is no one who would not call him a survivor. Actually he was on the TV show of that name on season 4 I think, a few months after he lost his leg to cancer.

But I am sure there is another meaning when it comes to car shows and such.

Tim

-
Back