Anyone ever use asphalt millings to make a road

-

Oklacarcollecto

Life is an experiment
Reaction score
I just bought 165 tons of asphalt millings to make a wider drive for my shop building, repair my road and create a three car parking pad at my house. Anyone have any experience that you can share on do and don't when working with millings?

Good old Oklahoma clay is the base material because it is natural here.
The asphalt I have still has a good oil content and in doing a test run it packs nicely. Today I dug a 15 foot x 32 foot hole around 6 to 8 inches deep and tomorrow I have another 34 feet to dig so the new pad will be 15 feet x 66 feet. If my calculations are close that will take 45 tons.

Any ideas or past experiences will be appreciated.

I have seen a lot of guys use the "recycled asphalt" for driveways. You get it
packed down good. It should last a long time. Was thinking of using on my
driveway, but ended up getting a great deal on new.

I have seen a lot of guys use the "recycled asphalt" for driveways. You get it
packed down good. It should last a long time. Was thinking of using on my
driveway, but ended up getting a great deal on new.

This asphalt is fresh ground within the last two days. They want a fortune to lay asphalt here and last time I used concrete because it was quite a bid cheaper.

Michigan was testing mixing shredded pop bottles in with it when I lived there in the nineties , it sure seemed to hold up good to the quick weather changes that tear conventional asphalt apart in no time

Michigan was testing mixing shredded pop bottles in with it when I lived there in the nineties , it sure seemed to hold up good to the quick weather changes that tear conventional asphalt apart in no time

I have also heard about shredded tires being mixed in with asphalt.

Friend of mine has a dump trucking co. Few years ago he was hauling millings for the state. Can't give you too much info on the how to's,but it sure made a nice parking lot around his shop.

If you are talking about the asphalt the grind up,I did my drive way with it and got it free.
Works great and lasted a long time. The crushed rock here is soft. Makes a good driveway.

Moe

I see it used all the time around here for driveways and such. The only trick is to get it packed really tight. Holds up great and makes for a nice smooth drive

If you are talking about the asphalt the grind up,I did my drive way with it and got it free.
Works great and lasted a long time. The crushed rock here is soft. Makes a good driveway.

Moe

Yes, that is what I am talking about. It is hard to come by here because they mix in back in with the new. I gave $100 per 15 tons delivered 4 blocks from where they are gringing it.

i use it matter fact hell i haul it all the time ( i own a dump truck) any way once its down and the sun hits it it will go back tog. like the road cause the resin release ...best thing since bread lol.....just about my whole yard is milling...gonna get me about 4 more loads in here this yr. when the work picks back up....:D

I used it over gravel when they cut a driveway 2 feet deep through my lawn when I built my pole barn. It packed hard as concrete after a while. In september they came to trench to put in my power line. The plan was to go straight down the drive through the gravel, that was a joke. The trencher couldn't cut it. You can look in the "show your garage" thread in the shop and garage forum and see pics of where they ended up putting my power.

We crush broken asphalt, and take in millings. Do you know what the gradation is of the millings. If it is 3/4 minus, it will pack very well, but you need to be careful grading it. It will compact very easily, then be hard to grade. If it is coarser gradation, with less minus(fines) it will make a decent base, but not a great finish. I just joined a new Association, aimed at selling municipalities on the virtues of recycling products, and just sold 30,000 tonnes to a new school project in Milton, Ontario. If you like, you can PM me with any questions you have. By the way, I was in Oklahoma on an asphalt plant seminar at Terex. Pretty cool factory.

we used it up here at our drag strip to cover our pits with it. It has been about 5 years and it is starting to kick up lots of dust again. I don't think it was layed down very thick, but for the price it worked great. There was lots of traffic on it as well not like a private drive or parking area.

We crush broken asphalt, and take in millings. Do you know what the gradation is of the millings. If it is 3/4 minus, it will pack very well, but you need to be careful grading it. It will compact very easily, then be hard to grade. If it is coarser gradation, with less minus(fines) it will make a decent base, but not a great finish. I just joined a new Association, aimed at selling municipalities on the virtues of recycling products, and just sold 30,000 tonnes to a new school project in Milton, Ontario. If you like, you can PM me with any questions you have. By the way, I was in Oklahoma on an asphalt plant seminar at Terex. Pretty cool factory.

It is 3/4 minus. I am going to work it slowly and try to keep the grade even as possible. I have a rollback and I will load a heavy van and pack ot down.

I think the shredded tires was a bust. Something about spontaneous combustion in the roadway! I saw a news blurb a while ago that showed a street at night and there were little flames coming up through the fresh pavement. That would give "burn out box" a new definition!

coldmillings work great to help stabilize a gravel road....spend last summer working on a coldmilling and repaving project on US 395 between Carson Ciity Nevada and Miden Nevada.,,,

coldmilling were used at several of the large parking lots at the Las Vegas Motorspeedway are

the coldmilling were suppose to go to the state and county pits for storage and one of the truck drivers decided to do a little free lancing and was dumping load for a friend who for his gravel road...he got caught and they had to blade the coldmilling back up and haul them to the pit...LOL

coldmillings work great to help stabilize a gravel road....spend last summer working on a coldmilling and repaving project on US 395 between Carson Ciity Nevada and Miden Nevada.,,,

coldmilling were used at several of the large parking lots at the Las Vegas Motorspeedway are

the coldmilling were suppose to go to the state and county pits for storage and one of the truck drivers decided to do a little free lancing and was dumping load for a friend who for his gravel road...he got caught and they had to blade the coldmilling back up and haul them to the pit...LOL

Most of the time we can't get them for the same reason. Luckily this road is being replaced with concrete and with 3 miles of it our local government had no place to store it. If I have the extra money I want to get another 150 tons.

The trick is to prepare the base; if it is holey, or washboard, it will transmit the milling, smooth and compact the base to at least 95%, then spread milling, then compact the crap out of it.

Our neighbor bought some for our road. It doesn't washboard as quick as the old dirt road that's for sure. We still get some pot holes during rain storms, but nothing real big. He just gives it a clean up grade when it's nearly dry and it's good to go.

It definitely keeps the dust down. I don't really see much dust coming off the crushed asphalt at all.

The trick is to prepare the base; if it is holey, or washboard, it will transmit the milling, smooth and compact the base to at least 95%, then spread milling, then compact the crap out of it.

My base will be solid but not perfectly flat. I don't think any issues will arise from the base when the millings are going to be 6 to 8 inches thick.

Yes!! And also to note, any potholes, or washboaring that appear later will likely need a grader to repair. 3/4 minus will eventually compact to about 98 percent on top of that base. And then there are rejuvenators, but thats another significant expense.

if you get the coldmilling compacted...and only have cars traveling on the road...it should hold up fine...what kills roads is TRUCKS..

retired 30 yr Resident Engr from Nevada DOT....

retired 30 yr Resident Engr from Nevada DOT....

How about that matting I've seen laid on some of our back roads in AZ? They lay down a mesh fabric, then put the millings on top of that. Does that do much to help stabilize the road? Worth the money?

I did my circle driveway 10+ years ago. The trick that I found was to get it spread 4"-6" deep and then what I did was rent a compactor from a local equipment rental.

I would say the warmer the weather the better. The day I did it must have been 90+ degrees. Compaction is the key. I have also heard of mixing calcium with it and it turns out hard a rock?

My father in law used it. It wasn't great stuff. You will notice the lane when you drive it will probably start to rut from the tire pressure. Unless you can get it good and packed and even then I believe you would be subject to ruts forming.

-
Back