Anyone ever weld wheel studs on front drum brake hubs?

-

char69ger

Reaction score
I screwed up and pressed the studs out of my hubs to change my brake drums. Now the new wheel studs are loose. I read here that some people have had to tack weld them back in. The hubs look like cast iron to me. I will need cast rods in order to weld them, right?

No you need to buy the correct wheel studs.

Put the loose studs in the hub, sans drum, tighten the nuts snug, not tight, put loctite on the stud, between the hub and stud. let cure, take off nuts, and assemble. It can work.

I put new studs also had the same problem found out that front drums have to get swedged if you want it done correctly

I put new studs also had the same problem found out that front drums have to get swedged if you want it done correctly
And if the old studs are swedged, you should cut the old swedging off with a spot facer, BEFORE you press them out. It's too late for you, this time, but next time you can be more aware.
I agree with posters suggesting you look for bigger splined studs. There are probably 50 -100 different designed studs out there, there should be one out there that will suit your situation.

You could use a punch And hammer to cave in loose stud hole edge on both sides to make stud fit tighter.
Ive done in the past.

The FIRST thing you need to do, is diagnose the problem.

I wouldn't use Loctite. Sure, it would get it assembled, but what about when you try to the change the tire on the side of the road? Goodyear spun a stud in my 69 Dart and didn't tell me. I later couldn't get the wheel off on the highway since the stud kept spinning. Whenever I went to a tire shop, I had them write "Left-hand threads on driver's side" in big letters on the shop order, but tire monkeys will still spin the studs trying to "un-screw" them. You have to watch them.

Re post #8, I see no need to swedge the studs when putting on a new drum. The factory did that only for easier handling. The wheel will hold the drum tight. Nobody feels the need to swedge rotors, though Euro cars use a locking screw which can be a pain to unscrew.

A quick hit with a mug won't kill you or the part.

-
Back