Anyone from the New England area know...

-

Jay_340

Moparologist
Reaction score
....if there are any radiator shops that will boil/rod/split radiators anymore? I have what looks to be an old US Radiator 4-core in my Plymouth. It runs a bit on the hot side and when it does, it seems like the center 1/3 gets warm, but not the outside sections. Through the filler neck, you can see crud in the cores and a bit of scale in there. I tried some flush concentrate, but as usual, radiator flush doesn't work worth a damn.

The one local radator shop here doesn't boil anymore or do acid dips. I dont think this piece is bad, just kind of cloggy.

I just had my radiator cleaned and serviced for my 1965 dodge Dart. The shop is in NJ but they are honest and turned my radiator around in a day. They flushed, cleaned, and even painted it for $65.00. The shop is called Hawthorne Industrial Radiator and the number is 973-427-7514 ask for Michael and mention the 65 Dodge Dart Radiator he just worked on. Hope this is a viable option for you, if not good luck with your search.

Get a propane torch and do it yourself. Melt the solder on just the bottom section to pry it away. Then use an old oil dipstick to rod out each tube, rinse and reinstall the bottom section. Resolder with the torch and plumber's solder and voila! I tried it myself on a Toyota and it was much easier than I ever would have thought.

Get a propane torch and do it yourself. Melt the solder on just the bottom section to pry it away. Then use an old oil dipstick to rod out each tube, rinse and reinstall the bottom section. Resolder with the torch and plumber's solder and voila! I tried it myself on a Toyota and it was much easier than I ever would have thought.

This ....^^^

Could also try Winkel Auto in Milford NH,603-732-1189. Gary is a Mopar friendly shop, salvage yard with lots of A body's and trucks. He used to hot tank radiators a couple of years ago, not sure because of EPA if he still does it.

....if there are any radiator shops that will boil/rod/split radiators anymore? .

Also keep this factoid in mind. This was posted some time ago by OldManMopar and I believe it's what was wrong with my rad

Radiator fins, over the years, from constant heat cycling and expansion / contraction, can 'crack' loose from the tubes. This does not necessarily cause leaks, and the tubes flow fine, but the radiator...........well it doesn't RADIATE anymore, at least not as much.

This seemed to be the trouble with mine. Running hot with the original 273 2-core, a rad shop claimed "it should cool a 360" NOT. Finally swapped in an "unknown" 73 slant six, also a 2 core, and the difference was dramatic.

-
Back