Anyone growing there own fresh vegetables

-

memike

Super Moderator
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I started my seeds a couple weeks ago and wondering how many gardeners we have here :)
Today I will be spreading my compose on top of my tomato area and moving leaves off my straw berry plants I separated last year from 8 plants and made many for this year.

First step is to dig up this and till it in :D

Attachments

• Mothers day 2012 012.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 196
  • Mothers day 2012 019.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 195
  • Mothers day 2012 020.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 197
Yup, we do sweet corn and put up a bunch for the cold winter months. Tomatoes, cukes, green and wax beans, and kohlrabi (mmmmmm).

Strawberries?!? I can't wait to see mine, but the snow gotta go first.

I have herd that the Cherokee Purple tomato verity will produce some great tasting tomato's for me here in Arkansas so I ordered seeds and started them 14 days ago :glasses7:

Attachments

• 10997713_1019336341415045_1634456074896124721_n.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 165
Yup, we do sweet corn and put up a bunch for the cold winter months. Tomatoes, cukes, green and wax beans, and kohlrabi (mmmmmm).

Strawberries?!? I can't wait to see mine, but the snow gotta go first.

I will see about getting pictures of my small bed of strawberries today :glasses7:
I am proud to say the snow has all melted and setting at 55 degrees outside right now Bruce :D

That hole with my fish parts in it gets fish added to it year around almost, there is a few holes dug back there '.. Best thing I ever dun was start saving the remains, I have coffee grounds and other compose to spread today as well on top of my beds and let it set for a week or so then till it in.

Thats the wifes department..she does cherry tomatos beef tomatos cucumbers greenbeans egg plant romaine lettuce and we have a good size rasberry bush..yummy!!!

Just picked first 3 sweet banana peppers! Can't wait to stuff them with cream cheese, wrap them with BACON, and throw them on the grill till crispy! Also picked a dozen cherry tomatoes. Yum,yum,yum! Anyone drooling yet? I guess spending the winter in FL is sort of cheeting, right Bruce? LOL

I will see about getting pictures of my small bed of strawberries today :glasses7:
I am proud to say the snow has all melted and setting at 55 degrees outside right now Bruce :D

Oh, memike, I forgot to mention it's 82 and very humid! Just rubbing it in! lol:glasses7:

Thats the wifes department..she does cherry tomatos beef tomatos cucumbers greenbeans egg plant romaine lettuce and we have a good size rasberry bush..yummy!!!
Hope to have all of these in the ground, I am glad I have not put my onions and Potatoes in when I usually do this year :D

Just picked first 3 sweet banana peppers! Can't wait to stuff them with cream cheese, wrap them with BACON, and throw them on the grill till crispy! Also picked a dozen cherry tomatoes. Yum,yum,yum! Anyone drooling yet? I guess spending the winter in FL is sort of cheeting, right Bruce? LOL
I was wondering where you was from to be enjoying banana peppers and grilling :D
I am ready for this chit to be over with here in Northeast Arkansas :color:

Uh...yeah. That's not fair. :D

Those bananny peppers sound good!

Alright anyone having issues with the bunnies eating their strawberries? This is the first year they have bothered mine maybe because it was so cold.

I even tried a couple secret weapons blood meal and well when ever I had a little extra in the tank if yeah know what I mean. Usually works but they eat some of them down to stubs hopefully now that some green is popping up they will leave them alone.

Will start stuff here pretty soon always a gamble with the last frost.

I have always done the garden thing, but the chickens free range and its really hard to garden with them. I only do some tomatoes, peppers, y. squash and zukini. I would like to have some greens seede now but the chickens would find where I scratched up the ground.

I buy my plants started and from people I know. (now) I bought some tomato plants last year from Meninite greenhouse and there were crap. no vigor.

I love my fersh eggs and we sell enough to pay for the feed. I really need a fence around the garden, but......................

Last year was the first year for a garden in 50 years. I used to garden when I was growing up and I will be 60 this year. We bought a house for our son to live in. It has a 300' deep lot with the back 1/3 being a garden. There is asparagus, blackberries, red raspberries, grapes, gooseberries, rhubarb, and chives all growing. We put in some mixed lettuce, radishes, green onions, cherry tomatoes, 3 kinds of slicing tomatoes, green peppers, 3 kinds of hot peppers, green beans, peas, sugar snap peas, cantaloupe, and 2 kinds of cucumbers. (wow, I didn't realize we planted so much) We had plenty to eat and to give away. I processed and froze green beans, asparagus, and dried some peppers. Andy, my some made some raspberry jelly and we froze raspberries and blackberries. We hope to grow more this year. tmm

Attachments

• IMG_20140616_163921 125.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_20140813_203903.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 135
Alright anyone having issues with the bunnies eating their strawberries? This is the first year they have bothered mine maybe because it was so cold.

I even tried a couple secret weapons blood meal and well when ever I had a little extra in the tank if yeah know what I mean. Usually works but they eat some of them down to stubs hopefully now that some green is popping up they will leave them alone.

Will start stuff here pretty soon always a gamble with the last frost.

Yea the frost is a gamble, I have seen us get one on Easter week here in Arkansas, Bunnies will turn there heads to human hair, go get a bag or two from a salon and spread it around your plants, I do this to keep Deer from eating my tomato blooms :coffee2:

Last year was the first year for a garden in 50 years. I used to garden when I was growing up and I will be 60 this year. We bought a house for our son to live in. It has a 300' deep lot with the back 1/3 being a garden. There is asparagus, blackberries, red raspberries, grapes, gooseberries, rhubarb, and chives all growing. We put in some mixed lettuce, radishes, green onions, cherry tomatoes, 3 kinds of slicing tomatoes, green peppers, 3 kinds of hot peppers, green beans, peas, sugar snap peas, cantaloupe, and 2 kinds of cucumbers. (wow, I didn't realize we planted so much) We had plenty to eat and to give away. I processed and froze green beans, asparagus, and dried some peppers. Andy, my some made some raspberry jelly and we froze raspberries and blackberries. We hope to grow more this year. tmm
Wow !! Looks like you are going to enjoy a great garden Toolman :cheers: It's hard to have a big one here becouse I refuse to cut down these oak trees that keeps me in the shade and off my lawn mower :D I did remove two last year though :)
Looking forward to seeing pictures in this thread this year :color:

a garden can really take up a lot of time, and the canning/freezing does too! I enjoy gardening but if i'm working, and have to do it ALL myself, there isn't enough hours!!

I will do the tomato, pepper, squash deal, bout all. the darned squash bugs are death on the squash plants. and I have commercial grade Seven! not to mention the herd of chickens.

a garden can really take up a lot of time, and the canning/freezing does too! I enjoy gardening but if i'm working, and have to do it ALL myself, there isn't enough hours!!

I will do the tomato, pepper, squash deal, bout all. the darned squash bugs are death on the squash plants. and I have commercial grade Seven! not to mention the herd of chickens.
I hear that barbee6043 :coffee2: Like you I just do a few things and as fare as my strawberries I have always grew them becouse I eat them most every day and enjoy jams and preserves threw the winter, my mother inlaw does that for me :color: I don't work (at a job anyway) so I needed a hobby ! and bad !! gardening and house/yard work keeps me on my feet and my brain moving forward :D

Yesterday I started Big Zac ,Cleberty,Sweet 100 cherry and Cherokee Purple tomatoe seeds and will also plant climbing Lima beans,squash, cucumber, bell peppers and a few bush type watermelons in my garden. For squash bugs try spraying them with diluted liquid dish detergent. It smothers them.

Yesterday I started Big Zac ,Cleberty,Sweet 100 cherry and Cherokee Purple tomatoe seeds and will also plant climbing Lima beans,squash, cucumber, bell peppers and a few bush type watermelons in my garden. For squash bugs try spraying them with diluted liquid dish detergent. It smothers them.
This is about the same list of things I grow, I try and do a couple pumpkin plants for my granddaughter, and X2 on the diluted liquid dish detergent
, I use Joy liquid :D

-
Back