Anyone Have a Firebreathing Recipe for a 360???

-

dran42

72 Dart Swinger
Reaction score
I have a 1972 360ci motor, Ran like a champ before I rebuilt the car, so I put it back in my dart and wouldnt you know it now has a rattle inside it, and is eating oil like its going out of style.
So, I ask myself - spend the big bucks and upgrade to the 440, or save my pennies and rebuild my 360. Well, just spoke with the wife :) I'm going with the 360 rebuild :)

I've seen a few small blocks out there that just kick some serious butt, so anyone out there with a proven firebreathing recipe for the 360?
Thanks in advance! ~Dave

Why go big block? IMO, a 440 isn't necessarily an 'upgrade', especially with the added weight up front and all the inherent fitment issues. 500hp from a 360 is relatively easily attained with fairly standard bolt-ons. Stroker rotating assemblies are available to net 400+ cubes.

Go get this book:
http://www.motorbooks.com/Store/ProductDetails_36893.ncm :read2:

Hot Rodding magazine called Engine Masters.This month has a 360 build 448hp 5800rpm 438ftlbs for a pretty reasonable price.Check it out it could save you some money??

Only two ways to go IMO. If it's knocking and needs crank work, buy a cast crank stroker kit and go 408 for a little more $$ (like 20-25%) or, get great machining and good parts, and with a cam larger than stock make some really good numbers.

--.030 overbore, align hone, block deck, overall block massage
--Piston choice to match the intended usage, Hypereutectic if used for HP street with 6500 RPM limit and no power adder, Forged if extreme HP use, NOS, + 6500 rpm etc.
Stroker crank kit, with aftermarket rods (Eagle, or others) or forged crank for non Stroker, but HP usage, with matching rods (Same)
--Camshaft to match intended usage by talking with tech deptment at Cam Supplier of your choice, ROLLAR cam, to eliminate the flat tappet lifter problems of recent due to reduction of zinc and other chemicals in off the shelf oil
--Edelbrock RPM heads, maybe even their new Victor series.
--Edelbrock RPM air gap intake
--Hp carb of choice

Interesting you mention this. I am building one from a 360 (I have quite a ways to go ). Mine is .030 over, stroker crankshaft and pretty much what "Backtobasics" describes. Great formula.

Large 5 inch tip (25 hp)
2 ft tall wing (30 hp)
Stickers (10 hp each) (30 stickers x 10hp)= 300 hp!
Mass Air Flow Sensor resister "Chip" = 20 hp
-------------------------------------------
375 hp + Stock Hp = Firebreather!

360 or stroker 360?
What RPM range are you driving in?
What is the intended purpose?
What's the rest of the car like? IE;

The rear end's gear ratio you want to run?
The tranny type? If auto. what stall do you want to run.

You could also take a look at the Hughes Engines Iron Ram Magnum heads. Supposedly flow more than some BB heads OOTB and have mega potential for porting. The only downside (if it matters to you) is that they are iron (duh!).

Yea bb heads were not that great stock[except hemi] when compared to sb heads.
I mean 204-217cfm and peak ported at 275-290 while there have been people like a guy named bob mulland [I think was his last name] who ported and got 305cfm out of a J head.

That would be Bob Mullen, and that involved a lot of very special work to get there.

Thanks for all the info guys, I went and got that artical from Popular hot rodding mag. It seems like alot of work, but I have all winter.

Rumblefish; The rest of the car is: 727 Trans with a 2400 stall, 3:91 8 3/4 rearend. I plan not to race it; just a firebreathing cruiser so those Mustangs & Camaros cant stay with me if I dont want them to. :)

Cracked, I was looking for that!

dran, alot of guys went right to the stroker route. Is that OK with you or is the stock stroke OK?

Cracked, I was looking for that!

dran, alot of guys went right to the stroker route. Is that OK with you or is the stock stroke OK?

I kind of like the stroker route, kind of sounds nice. :) I wonder what kind of power is possible with the stock stroke?

Over 500 is doable. Dick Landy did that from an old create engine core. Up the ratio and stuck it with a good size solid roller and full ported heads.

-
Back