Anyone have the 1972 Hot Rod Articles showing Mopar 305 build?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
On Page 55 of the April 2012 issue of HOT ROD, you’ll find a photo of John Dianna’s ’73 Duster with the hood popped to show off his destroked 305 Chrysler LA Series engine as part of our 20 Best V8s story. The shot is cropped in the article in the current issue, but we sort of like the full size version, so here it is.

The February 1972 issue of HOT ROD we’ve been thumbing through recently has the second part of build on that very same high-RPM small block that was designed to drag race and shift at 8,600RPM. We don’t remember how long the engine lived under those brutal conditions, so maybe we’ll visit the 1972 issues in the archives and dig that up next.

Vintage Photos of the Week: John Dianna's 305 Mopar

I wonder how much of that combo was borrowed from the Trans Am series (Sam Posey/Dan Gurney) and the 305 run by Dick Brooks in his Dodge Daytona wing car when Nascar didn't allow the Hemi in it anymore.

NASCAR never "disallowed" the Hemi. They sanction the cubic inch displacement to 305 cubes IF the engine WAS a Hemi........and they still won........but Chrysler was the one that put the end to it. I don't blame them.

305 was also the 5.0l limit for SCCA T/A racing. 2.96 crank in a 340 got you like 303cid.

When I worked at Keith Blacks around the mid 70's, we were doing billet small block MOPAR cranks for ?Petty? I believe. The billet chunk of steel started off at better than 400 pounds. What they ended up at I never found out, nor did I find out the stroke or any other specs. I was racing small blocks back then (still am actually), but I couldn't get any info from anybody there.

Russ.

I wonder how much of that combo was borrowed from the Trans Am series (Sam Posey/Dan Gurney) and the 305 run by Dick Brooks in his Dodge Daytona wing car when Nascar didn't allow the Hemi in it anymore.
Bob "Turk" Tarozzi's a member here, he was one of the engineers,on Gurney &Swede Savage's teams... He might know....

Wow...this sounds like a neat build. Aside from the miserable late 70s/early 80s GM 305s, the "5 liter" size is kind of a magic number for well-rounded V8 Engines.

I'd love to daydream about this kind of thing but my car is running an A904 slush pump...which would pretty much rule out that idea.

Wow...this sounds like a neat build. Aside from the miserable late 70s/early 80s GM 305s, the "5 liter" size is kind of a magic number for well-rounded V8 Engines.

I'd love to daydream about this kind of thing but my car is running an A904 slush pump...which would pretty much rule out that idea.

It sure as hell was magical for the Chevy 302. I would say for the Ford 302 as well. Look at how many millions were made. They were put in almost everything Ford made at one time or another.

yeah.... GM's Camaro and FoMoCo made a legend with the fox body..... 5.0 a well rounded V8, just don't go 5.2.... :poke:

305 chebby can even make some respectable power. Biggest problem is those heads and lazy cam. Just read a good article on it a few days ago.

p140678_large%2B1972_plymouth_duster%2Bside_view.jpg
6778488-JohnDiannaDUSTER.JPG
paragraphimage.jpg

This is all I could find.

Thanks for the correct info on the Hemi, Myron. Like you said, with so much info out there, it's tough to cypher through all the bs.

-
Back