Anyone have the Harbor freight scissors lift?

-

Sully_PA

Reaction score
I have a few questions to ask if you do ...thanks....

Never used it but my rule for HF, if your life depends on it get it somewhere else. Some have been on CL around Harrisburg reasonable.

I appreciate your response but I'm not really asking what people think of the lift ....just if anyone uses one.... thanks

I have a scissors lift that I used a lot to build my Barracuda. Not HF though. Next best thing to a regular lift.

LOL isn't that really what you are asking? Seriously

Ahhh no this is .....Anyone have the Harbor freight scissors lift? .....
I have a few questions I'd like to ask someone who has one ......Seriously....but thanks for your input.

I got a friend of a friend of a friend who's friend says....... ahhh! nevermind! :poke::lol:

I have a few questions to ask if you do ...thanks....
had one, junk. rated for 6000 pounds and it was unstable as hell with my 3400 pound Dodge Stealth on it. Level concrete and all. Kind of struggled maintaining the height over time, I had to re-raise the stealth 2-3 times doing a brake job. It got so bad that if I went to full height, it acted like it was gonna tip over. I positioned and re-positioned the stealth multiple times and it didnt seem to get any better. returned the POS and bought an Atlas lift. much better quality.

Ahhh no this is .....Anyone have the Harbor freight scissors lift? .....
I have a few questions I'd like to ask someone who has one ......Seriously....but thanks for your input.

My advice.....if you cannot afford a brand name decent quality is buy a USED one that is brand name good quality.

image_11781.jpg

crawl under there.....I think I would weld some outriggers on the front or bolt a big bar across that flange on the front. Just give it a bigger footprint. First thing I did was replace all the bolts on my HF cherry picker with grade 8. The stuff that came off was not rated with a head stamping. Looks like a great tool to do brakes and tire rotations but.....?

Lots of tire stores have used similar lifts for decades. You can hurt yourself with a frikkin nerf football if you try hard enough. And if you're stupid.

Lots of tire stores have used similar lifts for decades. You can hurt yourself with a frikkin nerf football if you try hard enough. And if you're stupid.

I hear that Rusty .....I have looked at scissor lifts for awhile now The reality is that most scissor lifts currently being made, are being made in China except for the Snap on lifts, so your getting the same steel, same weld quality but just different designs as bend pak, Greg Smith,and some Eagles are all made in China. I also know a lot of people wouldn't think of getting under a HF lift and that's fine .....thing is i haven't found one instance of a HF scissor lift failing in all my searching but I have found post's and pic's all over the net from people who have been using them for years without issue ....I appreciate everyone's concern and will do my best to work safe and take precautions ....Thanks

Last edited:
I've got a bendpak low rise lift, checked out the hf brand as well. Even with all the extra structure and framing on the bendpak I'm not sure I'm comfortable working under it and for sure wouldn't want my boys under it. Once our shop is built I will have it bolted in place and maybe trust working under it. It does at least have lockouts to prevent it from dropping suddenly. I bought mine for like $550 used. Works great for brake jobs, body work, suspension, etc. Hope you enjoy whatever you do buy, either way it's better than nothing for sure.

View attachment 1715089487
crawl under there.....I think I would weld some outriggers on the front or bolt a big bar across that flange on the front. Just give it a bigger footprint. First thing I did was replace all the bolts on my HF cherry picker with grade 8. The stuff that came off was not rated with a head stamping. Looks like a great tool to do brakes and tire rotations but.....?
I have that very same lift, it is not however HF. It was invaluable during my 67 notch build.

I haven't used a HF scissor lift, but I have seen similar designs for the "do it your selfer". I have always understood these type of lifts are good to lift the car 4 feet off the ground (give or take) just enough to pull the wheels and do brake/shock/suspension work. I don't think that they are meant for someone to "go under " the car and do any under car work, just work in the wheel well area. I don't think I would trust going under the car for any length of time.

Could always place tall safety stands under it and settle vehicle on it. Im working on getting one for tire work and to use as a adjustable workbench.

It's not like I'm one to talk, as I did my car on a rotisserie I built out of 2 x 4's and 4 x 4's, but here you go.

IMG_1128.JPG

I would be lying if I said I didn't buy tools for our shop for myself or my boys to use from harbor freight at least 3 times a week. Things like dust masks, sandpaper, hand tools, super glue, etc. Mostly because they are items that are cheap and don't require assembly and don't risk anyone's health or safety. Plus, if as per usual my boys lose them they are cheap to replace. The employees know us by name there, lol. I have told my wife and kids several times "I will not risk mine or anyone else's health or well being to save money". Not that I'm anywhere near well off financially, I just know that I can't replace a life for any cost. Even with our bendpak lift, I make sure when it's up in the air I slide jack stands under all four corners of the deck. It's got lock outs on it, and feels fairly stable even at max lift. The first time it got used, my wife came out and asked me "what precautions are you planning on doing that will ensure no one gets killed or hurt?". She has little to no mechanical skills, and even she can see the possible catastrophe in using something like that.

I hear that Rusty .....I have looked at scissor lifts for awhile now The reality is that most scissor lifts currently being made, are being made in China except for the Snap on lifts, so your getting the same steel, same weld quality but just different designs as bend pak, Greg Smith,and some Eagles are all made in China. I also know a lot of people wouldn't think of getting under a HF lift and that's fine .....thing is i haven't found one instance of a HF scissor lift failing in all my searching but I have found post's and pic's all over the net from people who have been using them for years without issue ....I appreciate everyone's concern and will do my best to work safe and take precautions ....Thanks
Must not have looked very hard, I described my experience with it above

I would be lying if I said I didn't buy tools for our shop for myself or my boys to use from harbor freight at least 3 times a week. Things like dust masks, sandpaper, hand tools, super glue, etc. Mostly because they are items that are cheap and don't require assembly and don't risk anyone's health or safety. Plus, if as per usual my boys lose them they are cheap to replace. The employees know us by name there, lol. I have told my wife and kids several times "I will not risk mine or anyone else's health or well being to save money". Not that I'm anywhere near well off financially, I just know that I can't replace a life for any cost. Even with our bendpak lift, I make sure when it's up in the air I slide jack stands under all four corners of the deck. It's got lock outs on it, and feels fairly stable even at max lift. The first time it got used, my wife came out and asked me "what precautions are you planning on doing that will ensure no one gets killed or hurt?". She has little to no mechanical skills, and even she can see the possible catastrophe in using something like that.
I've got some of their hand tools. I filled each tractor with a box of each cause they are cheap and I don't care if they get lost in the field. I will say this, I really like their brand of impact sockets. Some of the tightest tolerance of sockets I've ever seen. Ever tighter than my Cornwell set.

-
Back