Anyone here know anything about Ford Pickups and engines?

-

Drache

1971 Dodge Dart Swinger
Reaction score
I'll be posting more info and pictures as soon as I can but I have a very rough what's it worth question.

1976 Ford F100 pickup, pristine condition, 4.10 years, very nice black paint, 351 Cobra Jet at 400hp.

Paint appeared nice as this minus the side chrome was deleted and no coffin rails.

F10HNC56055_1355296341935.jpg

Truck was redone from the ground up. The paint just was finished two months ago.

I guess you know it's not the original engine, right? The 351C Q code was made from 71-74. It's my favorite Ford engine. Had they ever been offered with 10:1 or better compression, some of hot rodding history might not be the same. If it's not a 4 bolt main block, it's not a real Q code cobra jet. And of course....they never came in trucks anyway. Nice lookin truck though.

I guess you know it's not the original engine, right? The 351C Q code was made from 71-74. It's my favorite Ford engine. Had they ever been offered with 10:1 or better compression, some of hot rodding history might not be the same. If it's not a 4 bolt main block, it's not a real Q code cobra jet. And of course....they never came in trucks anyway. Nice lookin truck though.

Yes. I also read that in 1972 it was the most powerful smallblock that Ford had out. In 1971 only the 351 BOSS was better and sadly was a one year only deal.

The guy is a friend of the Club and so more than a few members know the history of the truck. Sounds like a nice "Hot Rod".

I know he's put way more into the truck but he's asking $8000 for it.

FYI that's not the EXACT truck, just same year with same quality of paint. The actual truck had all chrome deleted.

You'll find no hate from me with older Fords. I like um. They made some kick *** trucks.

Us sure it is not a 351M , the look look like Clevland and if it is a 351C it is worth some coin.
Check the block # if is something like this-D7TEA3B then that would be a 1977 351M-basic Truck/large Car engine of those times.

If it is a CobraJet engine it will have one of these numbers on it
1971 2-Bolt (CJ) D2AE-CA D1ZZ-A
1971 4-Bolt (CJ) D2AE-CA D3ZZ-A
1972 2-Bolt (CJ) D2AE-CA D1ZZ-A
1972 4-Bolt (CJ) D2AE-CA D3ZZ-A
1973 2-Bolt (CJ) D2AE-CA D1ZZ-A
1974 4-Bolt (CJ) D2AE-CA D3ZZ-A
1974 2-Bolt (CJ) D2AE-CA D1ZZ-A
1974 4-Bolt (CJ) D2AE-CA D3ZZ-A

The 351C or CJ will have a lower deck height than 351M/400M and would pretty low in that truck.

Cool to see some Ford knowledge.

Got any pictures of the motor? Also the cleveland had 2 and 4 barrel heads. 4 barrel heads have bigger ports. I believe by the valve cover mating surface there is either a 2 or 4 depending on which heads they are.

No idea on a price. There is a guy on my local craigslist selling a 351 cleveland with 2 barrel heads for $1350 and he has had it up for a few months now. if that helps any.

Ok so the guy wasn't home but told me to swing by and look at the truck which was locked.

First off the paint isn't as pristine as I thought. It's home done and while good is about a 5 footer.

The inside of the box wasn't painted at all. The surface rust really detracts from the looks. No handle on the tail gate, some slight surface rust on the checker plate rear bumper. Didn't get to see the engine. The stock bench seat isn't ripped but it's a weird green color (truck used to be green).

There is a Hurst V-matic 2 shifter on top of a home made wooden box.

A club member confirmed it was a 351CJ by the numbers as he was there when the engine was just a block, except it's really the block only. The heads are 2V which he said was better for the street (sounds fishy). But still supposedly putting out 400hp.

In essence not better than my Dart but in the same shape. The guy works as a mechanic. Body is straight and no dents but the inside of the box not being done is troubling.

Big fat meats for rear tires though and I've seen the truck haul ***.

He's right. The CJ heads SUCK BALLS below 3500 RPM. Plus they were made for way more compression than they ever saw. You ever seen their intake ports? Google it. They are stupid big. The 2V heads are much better for low RPM street use. Sounds like plenty of negotiating room. Be careful. Sounds like it might not be what you want.

He's right. The CJ heads SUCK BALLS below 3500 RPM. Plus they were made for way more compression than they ever saw. You ever seen their intake ports? Google it. They are stupid big. The 2V heads are much better for low RPM street use. Sounds like plenty of negotiating room. Be careful. Sounds like it might not be what you want.

Yeah especially since he stated he doesn't want cash and instead wants my Dart.

I love old Ford trucks, but I wouldn't trade for a Dart. What's wrong with the Dart that you would consider this?

I love old Ford trucks, but I wouldn't trade for a Dart. What's wrong with the Dart that you would consider this?

If the truck was as nice as everyone claimed I would have turned around and made a profit on it. My Dart is a project through and through. But since it's in the same sort of shape as my Dart I wouldn't trade.

What I remember most about my '77 F250 with a 460 was that it got a consistent 8-10 mpg. Didn't matter if it was empty, carrying a 9.5' camper, or towing a 5th wheel. Uphill, downhill, or off a cliff, mileage was the same.
Great truck. Hated to see it go when I bought my current '95 Ram 2500 V10.

major thing that turned me off was the bed of the pickup box. Nothing was done. It was left the original green with surface rust. Hell just sandblast the bastard and spray it rattle can black just to make the truck look slightly better. Same with the wooden box the Hurst shifter was on. Don't leave it plain wood, spray that bastard flat black as well!

What I remember most about my '77 F250 with a 460 was that it got a consistent 8-10 mpg. Didn't matter if it was empty, carrying a 9.5' camper, or towing a 5th wheel. Uphill, downhill, or off a cliff, mileage was the same.
Great truck. Hated to see it go when I bought my current '95 Ram 2500 V10.

My uncle (other uncle, by marriage) had a 3/4 ton E350 van with a 460 that was like that. 10 MPG across the board. Empty or loaded with books(!)...10 MPG

I actually did not care for my 71 351C 4v (ram air, none the less).

It was a royal ***** to work on, and didn't seem anywhere near as powerful as urban legend suggested.

It was an 80,000 mile original. I was the second owner.
It had lived those 80K as a highway trailer puller with it's PO.
I got beat by several gm 350s in that car (71 torino GT), and I NEVER lost to any gm in my 318 66 Coronet (!) or my 70 383 Super Bee.

That car was however, one of the nicest, unmolested cars I've ever owned.

To this day, I have not seen another 71 torino GT factory 351 shaker hood car.
(They've all been 429 cars)

I know the 351 can get it dun at the track/work ..... and here where I live if you give it time 3g's easy in running driving looks in good condition everywhere, and that would be med price here. Good looking old truck..
Lot of fun having a 351 and a goof mechanic/Builder.

I actually did not care for my 71 351C 4v (ram air, none the less).

It was a royal ***** to work on, and didn't seem anywhere near as powerful as urban legend suggested.

It was an 80,000 mile original. I was the second owner.
It had lived those 80K as a highway trailer puller with it's PO.
I got beat by several gm 350s in that car (71 torino GT), and I NEVER lost to any gm in my 318 66 Coronet (!) or my 70 383 Super Bee.

That car was however, one of the nicest, unmolested cars I've ever owned.

To this day, I have not seen another 71 torino GT factory 351 shaker hood car.
(They've all been 429 cars)

I agree, thus why I stayed with MoPar.. :D

Always liked the 73-79 Ford trucks, they were just simple, honest pieces of machinery. And, now that 67-72 GM trucks are getting ridiculous, I'll bet they are the next to "happen". Hauled many a car with an old 76 wrecker... 351M/NP435/Holmes 440 body.

I had a 76 F250 Camper Special. Heavy duty towing option. 460/C6/Dana60 4.10 gears. Awesome truck. I really liked it. I liked it better when I watched my ex wife drivin it up the road with all her **** in the back......Damn that was a good old truck.

I've got a 75 Camper Special, Ranger XLT, 390 4 bbl, C6, Dana 60 w/ 4.10's. Have been trying to sell it for the past 6 months for $1000. Runs great, people stop by and just want a joy ride, then figure since I'm asking only $1000, maybe I'll lower to their shitty offer of $500. Nope, $1000 firm was supposed to be for a quick sale.. Also open to trades on anything from early 50's - 70's, same condition.

001.jpg

002-4_zps40ea4805.jpg

003-6.jpg

008.jpg

006.jpg

I originally bought it for parts for my Highboy, but only ended up taking the tailgate, then found another tail gate for this one and drove it for a year.

-
Back