Anyone install the cancel cam on a steering wheel??

-

abgwin

Reaction score
I'm rebuilding the steering column internals in my 66 Barracuda. Now that I have a new turn signal switch, I've located all (most?) of the missing parts and epoxied the steering wheel hub back together, but I'm having a helluva time getting the turn signal cancel cam (spring clip that goes on the back of the steering wheel) installed.

Has anyone done this successfully before? I'm running out of ideas...

I've taken them off and installed them. I use a snap ring spreader and plenty of lube. You want to line up the tang at the 9 O'clock position with the wheel straight ahead.

I've done this, what a pain---I think I used a large adjustable wrench to give me something to hammer on.(you'll have to whack it good)
Cudamark thanks for clocking info--I didn't pay attention when separating them.
Lawrence

I just did a complete tear down and am not sure what your talking about. Mine was a 65, different or did I go far enough?

I used a grinder to cut a slot in a pipe coupling. Getting that ring off without damaging the insulator underneath was the hard part. I had to break the first one to learn what not to do. Right now I dont recall exactly how I got the ring off successfully.

Thanks, everyone, for the advice, especially the pipe coupler. That did the trick, along with a carriage bolt, some washers and a nut. Squeezed it right on!

(Please ignore the ugly epoxy. You can't see it from the right side, and the previous owner broke the wheel into several jagged pieces - not much to work with).

Attachments

• cam install.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 193
For the benefit of others... I used a steel pipe coupling and a hammer.
Those who plan to use a hammer will need to suppot the wheel at its center hub to prevent cracking the wheel.
The hardware method shown worked fine too apartently and is a safer method.
Happy moaring

-
Back