Anyone into Genealgy ?

-

AdamR

Big Member
Reaction score
Ive been working on my family tree the last few days and have hit a dead end. Once I get to mt great grandparents the clues have pretty much dried up. This is the point were they came to America and finding info on people from Czech isnt easy. I didnt find info on Ellis Islands web site about my who I believe were my Grandmothers parents. My Grand fathers parents are a bit trickier.

Im 99% sure that Ive found correct info on my fathers-mothers parents but I cant 100% nail down his fathers parents. Ive been told a few stories about the last name in the past including changed spelling (possible Hrushka or Ruszka) or that the name was made up so they would fit in the Czech area of NYC were they lived. I found my great grandmothers name as Lizzie Rushka, No info at Ellis Island but I found a Erzebet Ruszka that fits the time frame. She listed as being married but I couldnt find info on her husband.

I found my great grandfathers name as Harry Rushka on a US cencus from 1920, It list Lizzy Rushka as the souse and my grandfather Alex (confirmed) and his brother Paul (confirmed) But thats all Ive found of Harry Rushka. The Cenus lists Lizzie as being born in Czech and Harry as being born on Greece. I havent found anything about Rushkas being in Greece at all so its possible his last name was different and they used her name when they got here.

Thats about all I could dig up. I did all of this without using ancestry.com because I just cant afford it right now. This is just as addicting as cars. I started looking around 10am yesterday and finally gave up as 11pm.

I know where your coming from Adam. We originate in the same part of the world. You are lucky to be able to get as far as you great grandparents. I can only get as far as my grandparents. They arrived here right after WW1 as teenagers and that is where the trail ends. Trying to get records from the old Soviet block is impossible for the average guy. My name is Koval which was shortened from Kovalski which was spelled a little different in the old country. Good luck with your search and I hope you do better than my family did.

Jack

I already h ave more info then anyone else has managed to get. I have my uncle on my mother side helping to. He did my mothers family back to the May Flower. He connected us with John Howland.

Adam what methods did you use to look up your ancestors?

Most of what I have found has bean just googling names. Im using ancestry.com to build the tree but I havent paid yet so Im not getting those hints. Lots of US Census reports and a few other sites that have come up like the Ellis Island registry.

Lot's of times you can get some good info from family bibles if there are any. Check with relatives to see if any of them have these.

I found a lot of info at local church registars, cencus reports at the provincial archives, as well as university archives when I did mine.

I am french acadian so I searched the acadian areas of my province visiting museums and such

interesting and rewarding pastime....I have info that shows where my family tree faced the expulsion here in N.S. and the family line that was forced to settle in Louisianna, my bucketlist is to visit there hopefully during a world acadian congress.

I can understand how it could be interesting to some to search there roots.

Me. I could give a rats ars.

Good luck with your search.

I can understand how it could be interesting to some to search there roots.

Me. I could give a rats ars.

Good luck with your search.

Hmmmm, perhaps this is an indication of where all those 1-star thread ratings may be coming from around here lately ....

I also have family that was on the Mayflower. Weird huh?
My sisters were very good at it. The trail ends in Ireland 600 years ago.

According to records the Mayflower held about 112 people of which about 35 million current people can claim a relationship to.
Cool, but not exactly an exclusive club.

I was able to trace my mom's side (native american) back to the 1400s, pretty cool, but in some instances a little painful. Some of these people weren't very nice.

A cousin was looking into my fathers side but stopped researching when he discovered a distant family member was a member of the nazi ss.

We are pretty fortunate, as we still have family in Germany. I have a family tree dating back to 1691. The family farm in Germany, was deeded in 1463, and is still intact.

My Dad has done this stuff for 40 years as a hobby and has done heir searches for years at the behest of insurance companies,....He now works for the Census Beureau. He quite literally knows the location of every graveyard in Connecticut,....He says gettin info out of the iron curtain from back in the day is a HUGE roadblock...

I've done it. verified things I have long suspected, and now suspect a family member of something rather nasty.
I know that my mothers, fathers side of the family were large slave owners. It was something that was always spoken about, a great deal of money was lost on the south losing the civil war in their case. I just never realized just how much until I started digging. My wife says I have "stuck up" streak, I guess it was genetic.
Some things you find can shock you.

Rumble, Lots of people can trace themselves back to the Mayflower. We went back to the guy that fell off LOL. George W Bush has also traced back to him. Its pretty amazing.

Tracing back to a not so nice past shouldnt be anything to be ashamed of. You can pick your friends, You can pick your nose but you cant pick your family.

Rumble, Lots of people can trace themselves back to the Mayflower. We went back to the guy that fell off LOL. George W Bush has also traced back to him. Its pretty amazing.

Tracing back to a not so nice past shouldnt be anything to be ashamed of. You can pick your friends, You can pick your nose but you cant pick your family.

hey theres skeletons in everyones closet, especially hundreds of years ago when everyone did some #$%ed up sh&*.

i would think Genealogy would be easy for Amercians considering how well Europeans typically kept records......especially of Spainish descent within the Catholic Religion .....they kept excellent records.

i would think going back to Europe....someone has to have records on you guys before your Ancestors got on the Mayflower....and there has to be a reason why they got on the Mayflower.

My Genealogy was easy bcoz i was born in South Central India and my family has been in the same place for what we believe is a couple thousand years from one kingdom that existed in ancient times....i am basically the first person in my line that has ventured off so far from my birthplace. ......but hopefully my offspring will find the records and paper trail from what i am doing now lol

Mine should be easy to trace, I was put on this planet by aliens so I could break the world land speed record in my dart.
In reality though my moms parents were straight off the boat from Italy so that would be a tough one. I can trace my dads side back to the early 1800's but that just because they are all mostly buried in the same plot. On a side note though I got to hang out with five generations of my family all at the same time a couple falls ago and that was amazing. My two great great aunts only had flooring in their kitchen and bedroom, the rest was good old dirt, it kept my nephew busy though.

My cousin spent five years doing our family tree and traced us back to Europe (France)
to the mid 1300s , anything before that is really hard as you fall into the Med-evil times or dark ages and so many records were burnt or lost and in many cases not even kept.
Proud to say thou , my family has been Canadian since the 1600s . Some of my ancestors were also expelled from Acadia ( New France then) now known as Nova Scotia. (Scottish for New Scotland). Some dark sh*t going on in Canada back then.
I am a proud Canadian none the less . European Churches did keep pretty good records
right back to the dark ages as I said. Cheers and good luck.

-
Back