Anyone modified roof trusses to fit a lift?

-

cudaspaz

Reaction score
Thinking about getting some trusses designed to eliminate my current triangular shaped ones.
Anyone do it yet.

The trusses I put in my shop have a 6-12 pitch for the roof and on the inside of the shop they are pitched at 4-12. My walls are 10' and in the middle it's 12' to the ceiling. Sorry I can't remember what they called them, but they sure worked good.

Cool.

Yeah, I need to eliminate about 5 trusses to make it work.

I was thinking of just doubling up some redesigned ones on each side of the ones I want to eliminate and once installed, just cut out the lower brace of the old ones,that way I know I will have no problems.

Probably need to get an engineer to sign off on it and then have the county inspect it in case Imever want to sell and won't run into a home inspection snafu.

You would need something like the modified queen scissor. The bottom one needs support on the sides of the raised opening. In other words they are supported at 4 places.

Yeah, just show a local engineer what you want to do. But then comes load calcs, the county, etc.

Trusses are engineered, thus any modifications need to done designed by a structural engineer. The bottom cord of a truss is a structural component that plays a critical role in the strength of the roof system.

For example, you'll see a lot of people put plywood on the bottom cord of a truss in order to create storage in the rafters. This is a no, no, as the bottom cord is in tension and the weight of the plywood and materials stored in this new attic place strains on the roof system that it wasn't designed for, as a result in a few years the roof begins to sag.

Simply put, modifying your roof truss's is not a simple task.

Are you aware that there are lifts that require as little as 9 feet? A low ceiling lift is another option.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

If you do some research there are scissor trusses that clear span a pretty decent length. A church that I used to go to had them made when the new edition was added.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBrchpLWQhw"]Building Roof Trusses & Scissor Trusses in Chief Architect (www.ChiefTutor.com) - YouTube[/ame]

http://www.askthebuilder.com/B348_Scissors_Truss_Design_.shtml

here is way I did mine

Attachments

• Camera 180.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 4,535
was my first pic to post, didn't know if it would work. I blocked up 3 blocks then used reg 8ft studs which gives me over 10' on sides and over 12' in center bay. I will try to start a thread later of my build, Joe

I have 10' 4" ceilings and used a low ceiling two post hoist. I can get most cars about 5' off the ground and trucks 3'-5ish'

The hoist cost a lil under $1500 shipped for me and I love it. Only problem is the lung valve is a poor design so it lowers a little slow, but I can live with it.

Attachments

• 2011-10-08_08-36-05_166.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 5,414
  • 2011-10-08_08-36-44_201.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 4,144
I was going to modify my trusses like this...I hope to go with a 4 post hoist.....

Attachments

• Truss Modified.JPG
    13.6 KB · Views: 4,462
  • DadsGarage.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 4,122
Thinking about getting some trusses designed to eliminate my current triangular shaped ones.
Anyone do it yet.

Yep, I've removed trusses from shops to gain head room. You can get a truss designer to engineer a stronger truss at each end of the lift area, then remove the existing truss cords, and replace with purlins that span the distance between the new stronger trusses. These purlins will support the roof sheathing, etc..... You will need to install posts under the ends of the new trusses and the engineer should be able to tell you what size.

JB

We modified some trusses for a fellow hod rodder who bought a house with a shop already built. We cut out the bottom cord, gusseted the remainder of the truss on both sides with plywood that went from the remainder of the bottom cord all the way up to the top cord and fully gathered in the jack posts that were left untouched. He was able to get his lift between the jack posts and has had no problems with his altered trusses. Now, is it adviseable?? No, but he wanted it done and we did it for him!! And, his shop was hit by a pretty strong storm and a tree landed on the roof and other than some repaired roof plywood, no damage to the altered trusses!!! If I can get over there, I will take a couple pics of what was done and post them here!! Geof

We cut the bottom cord out of one of my father in-laws truss in his pole barn, and then framed it back in like a scissors truss (sort of). It has held a lot of snow and the roof does not have very much pitch... I am not sure I would want my car under it all winter, but he is into Chevy's so it's OK :lol:

The old saying, " Dont raise the bridge, Lower the river " comes to mind.
I would love to have a old front end rack with swing jacks over a pit.
To raise your entire structure and add 4 feet of cement knee wall under it might get you around your local building codes.
You would need a house mover to raise the structure but the modern styofoam forms might be assemebled and poured in just a day or two. The higher door opening would let you drive a much taller vehicle in if you wanted to.
maybe I watch too much This Old House. Good luck with it

I am pleased with the way mine turned out, I have 12'4" -12'6" with 2" slope on floor to enable washing out.Joe

Attachments

• DSC02191.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 8,579
-
Back