anyone run points anymore

-

baracus

Reaction score
Hey guys, 69 barracuda 383 4 speed. The car has a Mallory dual point mechanical advance distributer on it. Couple of questions, first do any of you run points anymore? The car will be street driven with occasional trip to the strip. Right now aftermarket intake, hedders, unknown cam and stock AVS. Just trying to get the car tuned good and wondered if I should replace point, cap, etc or just go electronic. Also, if I stay points, are there any coils I should stay away from as far as voltage and resistance? Thanks for your help.

Yes, I run a Accell distributer in my 340, I just replaced my cap. Accell Super coils burn through points.

A few of us do. My factory dual point works good for the few thousand miles I drive each year. I've replaced the points once in 5 years. tmm

I'd have to go dig that dual point out of the farmers wheat field next door if I wanted to go back. Have converted a dozen BB's over to the Mopar orange box ignition over the last 30 of so yrs. and never looked back. JMO

Avoid the Mallory conversion,for electronic.The conversion,has been known to failure.If you do the swap,try Pertonix.I

Just converted mine over to the hei system and its like fuel injection best 100 buck I spent in a long time.

I love this, mainly cause i'm old enough and don't have a current ride. I've run mallory and Accel dual points along with the stock single points that i used HD points in. Along with a good aftermarket coil. Turned 6500 rpm's with all of them, but they did need regular maintenance/replacement. With that said, a good electronic setup would probably be a benefit. Pertronix possibly?

Ricky,love the Mallory curve.Simple,easy.The Unilite ,so.pricey,and fails often.

Electronic is a big improvement. You can convert your current points distributor. Original kits - Pertronix Ignitor, Crane XR700, required that you use the ballast resistor. Modern kits eliminate the ballast, allowing a better coil and wider spark gap for leaner burn. The only one I know that works with your points distributor is Pertronix Ignitor II or III (adds MSD).

If you install an electronic pickup distributor (harder to find for a 383), you have more options. Many install a GM HEI module and E-core coil (cheap, many posts). For SB and RB engines, there is a new "ready-to-run" distributor w/ integral HEI for only ~$50. I am waiting for them to make one for my 383 (BB engine). I have an XR700 currently.

-
Back