Anyone running a th400 in their a body?

-
argue from the standpoint "leave it all Mopar" is stupid
I couldn't agree with this more. unless it's a resto which i've never been into I want the best out there.

My 727 has lived happily for quite a while behind my 503hp Rb. If I was starting from scratch i'd explore ALL the options.

I never realized the TH400 was that strong. Now I know.

Turbo 400 explode factory drums just like a 727. Yes a little more to build but if you already own the trans and I already had a 3.5 alum driveshaft with 1350 joints. So for me it was way cheaper. A 727 can be just as strong as a 400. Do what you want like people have said but I hate when people come on and say a 727 won't handle hp it's bs.

67, I think Rusty is not saying it won't take the power but that it cost 2x more to make it handle the power.

I have a 727, with a 3.5" shaft and a GV overdrive. I'll drop more into mine before i'd tear the car apart to fit a brnad new tranny in it. I have NO issue putting GM parts in my car (or ford for that matter) Our MSD's are ford parts.

The 727 cannot take as much power.

This is the post. Like I said I am a racer and my et slip is what is important, I have a glide when I can afford the rest of the parts it will go in my car. But I am doing suspension work to my car. Tube front end with rack and anti roll bar and sliders in rear. New headers too so glide will wait.

Exactly, right now I'm going to be at about 700hp or so and hopefully in the next few years north of 1000hp, it would cost way more to build or buy a 727 to hold that power (that i would feel safe with).

727 with a Turbo action manual VB, 9" 5000 stall A-1 converter

773Hp race hemi

All day long baby, nothing special in it. The vid is out of date and is in the 9.80's now.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES1x_B-6VpU"]SS And AFX Landy In The 9's - YouTube[/ame]

Attachments

• SCAN0001.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 325
  • wheelsup.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 313
o look a 727 that cant handle the power lol

I dont see a reciept posted..... I never said it couldnt handle the power but I will say stock to stock or built to built with the same amount of $ the th400 will be stronger. Does the thread title say what tranny is stronger? No, so move on, plenty of guys are running this set up, I was looking for constructive info not some debate on what Mopar purists find to be a great tranny.... I feel like im over on moparts right now, I guess this place is just full of useless idiots too.....

I had a stock turbo 400 in my Camaro with a transbrake and it lasted street miles and 14 years of track and street racing!It ran on mtr 5.60 to 5.80 depending on the heat

This is the post. Like I said I am a racer and my et slip is what is important, I have a glide when I can afford the rest of the parts it will go in my car. But I am doing suspension work to my car. Tube front end with rack and anti roll bar and sliders in rear. New headers too so glide will wait.

I simply meant on a per dollar basis. Everyone else in this conversation knew exactly what I meant.

This thread alone proves why I hate to admitting to be a Mopar guy, of course im not closed minded like 95% of you...... I DONT WANT A TWO SPEED POWERGLIDE! How are you comparing a glide to a th400 there different. Thanks for keeping the thread on track, lots of very un useful information here....

well if you read it correctly or maybe I typed in incorrectly, i'm comparing the strength to hold up. at the power level I'm hoping to achieve you just don't see any one using a 400, they use a glide, come to think about no one uses a 727 either. I think there is a company out of Canada that makes a 400 for this power level but I don't recall the price of them. if you know please post a link so I can see the cost to convert compared to the glide and 727.

Off the subject here totally. I have a TH-400 in my Duster. It was there when I bought so it stays. Anyways back to the point. You DO NOT have to remove the torsion bars on a 400 conversion. Just make the tunnel a bit bigger. The stock cross member was notched & re-worked, but still bolts in stock location. The 2 inner bolts now go up into the frame fro clearance reason. Sorry don't have the car here for pics.
Thanks, Ken Michalik

well if you read it correctly or maybe I typed in incorrectly, i'm comparing the strength to hold up. at the power level I'm hoping to achieve you just don't see any one using a 400, they use a glide, come to think about no one uses a 727 either. I think there is a company out of Canada that makes a 400 for this power level but I don't recall the price of them. if you know please post a link so I can see the cost to convert compared to the glide and 727.

I think you are talking about hutchs trans.

I paid $1000 for the th400 i already have, it came out of a friends 1400hp street strip camaro, i have another guy with a 1600hp 55 chevy that runs a th400, just how much power do you plan on making?

Off the subject here totally. I have a TH-400 in my Duster. It was there when I bought so it stays. Anyways back to the point. You DO NOT have to remove the torsion bars on a 400 conversion. Just make the tunnel a bit bigger. The stock cross member was notched & re-worked, but still bolts in stock location. The 2 inner bolts now go up into the frame fro clearance reason. Sorry don't have the car here for pics.
Thanks, Ken Michalik

Thanks for the post, i have the torsion bars removed anyway i was just wondering about the tunnel.

I dont see a reciept posted..... I never said it couldnt handle the power but I will say stock to stock or built to built with the same amount of $ the th400 will be stronger. Does the thread title say what tranny is stronger? No, so move on, plenty of guys are running this set up, I was looking for constructive info not some debate on what Mopar purists find to be a great tranny.... I feel like im over on moparts right now, I guess this place is just full of useless idiots too.....

Go to hell

no billet parts, just a turbo action VB and a full rebuild with the upgraded bands and clutches. Biggest thing is having a tranny guy who knows how to clearance them properly...

EDIT: reciept, i can ask the boss but i recall the trans less verter was less than a grand. Our 904/727's are about 650 with Manual VB with stock bands and clutches.

Im not even trying to pursude you away from the 400, if you want it go for it, but why replace a 3 speed for a 3 speed on the street, do the ??4L80E?? 4 speed OD so you can run more gear and be at a lower rpm (but not to low depending on the gear). But if you just want another 3 speed that 727 will handle more than you'll ever throw at it

Yeah yeah, probably has a cheetah shifter too, thing looks like a dump truck!

Nope, just a ProMatic II, we hate gated shifters

I paid $1000 for the th400 i already have, it came out of a friends 1400hp street strip camaro, i have another guy with a 1600hp 55 chevy that runs a th400, just how much power do you plan on making?
:wack:
I'm sure/hoping I should be able to pull some where in the 1800+ range but who knows i'm not the best at this stuff and the hotrod keeps kicking my butt anyways. this spring if I can get a few clean runs and a tune-up on her I'll be good to go.

For those that don't know........Bob Shingler doesn't fool around...:thumbrig:

Attachments

• Bob.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 356
  • Bob1.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 330
-
Back