anyone running ross piston

-
After a KB came apart at the ring groove/wrist pin in my 390, I used Ross. Nice pistons, a little heavier than the KB, and they have lasted five times as long now.

Nut I don't like KB's, never did, don't know why I bought them in the first place. Many chevs and 460 fords have died from those POS hyperbreaktectic pistons. Wores than stock cast, IMO.

wow i always thought the kb piston were good quality. my engine guy (who is helping me build my first engine 408 stroker) told me to get ross piston so i wanted to hear what you guys thought since i've never heard of them.

thats crazy quality work. was talking with my boss and he told me back in day (years ago) he remember everyone was talking/running keith black pistons.

I used the hypereutectic KB 107's for years in my race car without a problem. They are good but specific installation instructions need to be followed and they are less forgiving if you run into detonation. I switched to Ross without problems except for the price. Since then I've found SRP pistons to be a pretty good deal as well as a quality product.

All of these have been flat-tops with notches giving around 10 to 10.5-1 compression.

Really depends on the application to. I've used Kb's and have a set of Ross 30 over's now. Never had a problem with either. I've even used cheapo stockers and worked out fine. I guess it all comes down to what you are gonna do with the motor. You wouldn't really need a forged top shelf piston if you was just gonna make a non-nitrous daily driver. Just do your piston homework and buy what the engine will need.

The issue with KB's hyperbreaktectic pistons, is that you can follow the instructions to a T, but when you put miles on the motor, and the bore starts to wear, they don't hold together.

I have a set of TRW forged, that have wore out two .030 bores now, and still look great.

I just think KB products got popular, the company got greedy, and quality fell. Same thing happened to comp, IMO.

When I chose a piston, I want one that I don't have to worry about, no matter what I do. That means high quality forged. (Unless I am building a low output motor, then the stock OEM pistons work fine.)

KB is fine. In fact, those of us running 440 Source forged pistons are made by KB too. Hypers do fine if the piston to wall is right at the beginning. It's tighter than any cast, and way tighter than any forged piston's wall clearance. If they are lose in the bore, the rings dont seal. But the piston doesnt come apart. Least none of mine have at 40K plus. Ross has had some issues but in general they make a nice piston. If I want a good piston, I use Diamond. Any 4" engine should have a good forged piston IMO. And Diamonds are always dead on in all ways.

I used them in my 340 stroker and they are still running. Never had a problem.

after a couple of other brands,the last time I built the 340,I got a set of the ross "shelf" pistons and I'll never use anything else. they've been in now four seasons and the suckers are light compared to the ones they replaced. I'd say give 'em a try,trust your machinist on this one :thumblef:

I would never run Ross again. Had one pull the wrist pin right out of the slug. My machinist said it was the worst excuse for a piston he ever saw. Destroyed the entire motor and they wouldn't even replace the broken piston that only had one weekend of racing on it. Been with J & E ever since with no problems. Ran TRW's for years before that with no problems even at 9000 rpm on stock rod and a four speed trans.

-
Back