Anyone tired of their 4 speed and went to auto?

-
I had a 67 Barracuda with a 4 speed. It was a lot of fun at first. I soon got tired of it. Most of my cruising is in the city. My current car is an automatic. A nicely setup 727 with a shiftkit, plus retaining the auto shifting was the ticket.

That said, you have such a nice car I wouldn't want to mess with it. It's awesome.

Huh... NEVER!!!

I wouldn't trade my 4 speed in the Dart for any auto set up. Both Demons are going to be manual trans cars.

My 73 Dart Sport 340 is 4 speed and my 66 Dart is auto.I would leave your Cuda 4 speed.Sounds like it,s time for another project with an auto.

I've converted 2 A-bodys from auto to 4-speed......I don't think I'd ever go the other way. However, I'm going to have an automatic in one of my upcoming project cars, a Henry J.

ha..thats a good one.

At this point I would never consider switching from 4 spd to auto. Way too much fun. :burnout:

Funny thing is though, i am concidering switching my demon to auto, only because it will be cheaper to get it up and running that way. and I will have an extra 4 spd laying around then. ( not planning on keeping the demon.) anyone have an auto pedal assembly? PM me.

There's an old saying :
If I had wanted two pedals, I would have bought a bicycle:burnout:

Also, remember manuals are more efficient, make more power, and are funner. Also I think traffic should be taken into consideration. I live in a city with about 80 000, so traffic is never a real problem here. If you live in a large city that has huge traffic jams, the stop and go might make your leg a little sore.

my demon 340 with a 727 transgo shift kit, and 4,400 9.5" converter rocks, can leave it in gear and spool it up from say 1,400 at 25 mph to 4,400rpm's in less than a second as i'm cruising along the side streets, the looks on the faces is priceless. Ask any other guys with hi stall auto and they know what i'm talking about, my other car is a 4-speed BB its fun also but not as much as a good auto talk to CRT trans.

nope, never, the only reason I bought my duster was because of manual trans. I don't drive old cars unless they have a manual. I think one of the greatest things about old cars is being more or less apart of your car with manual brakes, manual steering and a manual trans......You drive the car, the car doesn't drive you.

Its all about feeling the road

gotta agree with most of the guys here, I converted my cars from auto to 4spd and would never go back, it's just to much fun!

my demon 340 with a 727 transgo shift kit, and 4,400 9.5" converter rocks, can leave it in gear and spool it up from say 1,400 at 25 mph to 4,400rpm's in less than a second as i'm cruising along the side streets, the looks on the faces is priceless. Ask any other guys with hi stall auto and they know what i'm talking about, my other car is a 4-speed BB its fun also but not as much as a good auto talk to CRT trans.

Yup.
Have to agree.
I grew out of manuals for performance cars 30yrs ago.
These days I only have manuals in my 4WDs

This is the first car I have had with an auto trans. It is a 727 with a manual valve body and a shift kit. I would love to have a 4spd. The trans is numbers matching to my car so I tried it. Well it has not grown on me yet, I think it takes the muscle car feel away. Kind of like driving your parents car. I don't know just my feeling so far.

For the most part this, to me, this is a matter of preference. Besides the Barracuda and his '54, Pop wanted automatics for everything else. After double clutching through the gears for over 25+ years in the rig, Pop just liked putting the car in gear and letting the trans do it's thing.

Been trying to teach my wife to drive stick for years, so she can drive my truck if she has to. Keep telling her that after you get the hang of it even stick becomes automatic. You don't think about it, you just automatically do it.

Plus if your a real 4-speed guy, you don't use the clutch for anything but taking off in first gear

i have a 4 speed in my 69 dart gt would never buy a muscle car with an auto nothing wrong with autos i just like to drive with a 4 speed to each thier own

I would love a manual in my Fish, I agree with everyone else, theres just something about a muscle car with a manual, its not the same with an auto, that being said some of us just have to make do with what is in our price range and mechanical abilities lol. I'd swap to a 4spd in a hear beat if I didn't have an monsterous to-do list that falls into the more-important-than-swapping-a-manual-into-the-car category lol

-
Back