Anyone use a DUI system?

-

dustergal

Memberless Member
Reaction score
DUI (Davis Unified Ignition) in their small-block Mopar? What do you think of it? Would you recommend it?

thanks

Katherine

A buddy of mine has a little billet aluminum plate that bolts to the bottom of his distributor that mounts a GM HEI module. Looks stock and no ignition box on the fender or firewall. Why do you want to use the DUI set up?

Not sure if we do want to use it, just wanted some feedback. So your buddy likes his set-up?

Good thing you defined the company making the system. I though you were installing a breathalizer!! :)

ha...yeah, that's why I tried to clarify it in my first post, lol.

Thier the same as an HEI ign. Very reliable,hot spark. Go for it.

My buddy loves the system on his car. It is a stock mopar electronic distributor with the GM module on the bottom. I will ask him where he got it from.

Is the photo below what you mean? I find a price of $369. Cheap Mopar bastards like me can do much better by using a standard Mopar electronic distributor to trigger a GM HEI module. I prefer the later "8-pin module" w/ GM "external coil" found on ~85-95 trucks with TBI (small-cap "computer" distributor). Steal the pickup connector too. The advantage of the 8-pin module is that you can tweak timing with an ECU like Holley's Commander 950 (if desired). If so, steal the knock sensor and module too. Also, the factory cable connects the module to coil and gives a tach output. I am doing so on my slant. Of course, heat sink the HEI module.

You can also use an earlier 4-pin HEI module, but more roll-your-own on wiring. That approach is simplest if you buy a "ready to run" HEI distributor ~$45 on ebay (SB & RB only). I have one for my 273, though may convert it to 8-pin type.

Attachments

• DUI distributor.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 159
-
Back