Anyone use a Power Steering Pressure Reducer?

-

siuauto

Reaction score
I have a Saganaw pump from CVF with a stock gearbox and stock steering components (Not rack and pinion). The power steering seems too good. I feel like I am one sneeze from putting it in the ditch. I would like more road feel and a little more effort to steer. I have used pressure reducers on cars that have been converted to Mustang II racks but curious if others have used them on more stock applications. If so, do you like it? Any downfall? And... no, I am not interested in going to manual steering.

I tried the shim changes & it didn’t really seem to do much. I am thinking of getting my steering gear rebuilt by Firm Feel or Steer & Gear.

I have shimmied the pump and have had some varying results. I like it best with just a couple shims and putting the pump back together correctly :rofl: . I have recently felt it wanting to jump into the adjacent lane at anything above 50, so I am looking at ball joints/idler. I have a new piece that resembles the mustangII reducer that I have not tried yet. just cruisin easy lately and dealing with its nervousness at speed.

20230822_102419.jpg

circling back on this one.......

turns out the "Turn One" fitting needs another inverted flare M16x1.5 to the stock pressure hose size (5/8x18?).

I rigged something up with a local fitting shop to get this thing up n running to see if it makes a difference.......Ill try to report back.

Alignment setting have an effect on all of this as well. If you have little to no positive caster, the steering will seem nervous and flighty, especially at speed. Adding more positive caster will improve the stability of the car, and can increase the steering effort some.

It’s a different effect from the amount of boost provided by the factory power steering, which is quite overboosted and gives very little feel. That’s addressed better by reducing the pressure. But that should just feel like the steering effort is very light, it shouldn’t feel like that car is unstable or erratic. That’s more likely worn components or a lack of positive caster, or a combination of both.

Alignment setting have an effect on all of this as well. If you have little to no positive caster, the steering will seem nervous and flighty, especially at speed. Adding more positive caster will improve the stability of the car, and can increase the steering effort some.

It’s a different effect from the amount of boost provided by the factory power steering, which is quite overboosted and gives very little feel. That’s addressed better by reducing the pressure. But that should just feel like the steering effort is very light, it shouldn’t feel like that car is unstable or erratic. That’s more likely worn components or a lack of positive caster, or a combination of both.
I do have a set of "problem solvers" on the shelf that will go on soon, but need to look at possible other culprits on the way to that.

Thanks!

The original Factory Service alignment specs, and most alignment shop prob follow those, have the Caster set at 0 to neg Caster.
Your local market shopping buggy's front wheels have neg Caster, ever seen one whobble back and forth and chuckled !
That's what your front wheels want to do if the alignment is set to factory spec.
The new radial tires and modern driving styles suit the Spec on the Skosh Chart, this will give your vehicle better directional stability, and a steadier wheel, especially at speed.
Incorrect Toe will have a tendency to "dodge" left or right as the weight transfers from one front wheel to the other, each aimed differently.
We're it me, I'd make sure all the components are right and tight, then aligned to Skosh spec, - then, if you find fault, - mess with the pump, cuz the positive caster needs progressively more effort/work as you add more caster .
I applaud your desire to "get it done", good for you .
Good luck.

Screenshot_20230904-083952.png

Last edited:
-
Back