Anyone use one of these?

-

JCMini30

Reaction score
Lookin at the Edelbrock 1002 Pro-Flo air cleaner... Anyone ever use one, Im going with a HEI dist and think Im going to have to get a smaller air cleaner than factory to fit it. Open to better option suggestions as well.

Attachments

• EDL-1002.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 295
One word, don't. The reason being is IF your carb backfires it can melt that foam filter and suck the material into the carb. They look nice, and I had one on my car until I researched it and promptly removed it and replaced it with an open round element design.

I for one have seen these get damp and the foam gets sucked in the first time it back fires it will melt the foam air filter, I would go with something ells myself..

One word, don't. The reason being is IF your carb backfires it can melt that foam filter and suck the material into the carb. They look nice, and I had one on my car until I researched it and promptly removed it and replaced it with an open round element design.

X2 Badsport, You type fast :thumblef:

Thanks for the info/warnings guys. I was thinking the wire rib frame that "supports" the filter element seemed like it could be designed better. Maybe another layer of the mesh material used on the outside just inside of the filter.... Kinda sandwiching the element would support it better... Then a element that wasn't water/fuel soluble. Seems like Edelbrock should either redesign or just stop selling them. Sounds to me like a liability for a company with such big pockets.

Those air cleaners with the foam in them are a disaster waiting to happen. Even if you put some type of support on the foam, one backfire and you have that stuff down the carb. Shop around, there are much better air cleaners out there.

Also, they keep spiders out of the carb, but anything smaller than that (dust, dirt, grit...) sails right on through to eat up your piston rings, bearings, etc.

i used 1 and i had a backfire and the foam caught onfire almost lost the car....never again..toss it.

Add a 1" Spacer under your carb, and you should have enough clearance to run a factory Air Cleaner, regardless of what type of Distributor you run.

Or pick up one of the chrome Edelbrock 14" Round Air Cleaner Assemblies at Autozone/Advance/Wherever. I think they're like $20 (with filter). I ran one on my '74 Duster for a few years, then I transfered that Air Cleaner to my Dodge D50 when I put a Dual Snorkel on my Duster

Distributor I was planning to use wouldn't clear the firewall/wiper motor. So with stock dizzy I went with a chrome 14in. Mr Gasket from O'reilly since it was convenient and don't look bad.
WithAirCleaner.jpg

Thanks for the advice guys.

I had one on my car to go to the races, untill I started to play around in a tunnel on the way back and the car starved out at about 5000 rpm and you could hear the engine trying to suck the filter through the carb!

Well air cleaner was the least of my worries. Got it all bolted back together took that pic and within 30 min of driving had a bad knock. Think I'm losing a bearing. Guess the Duster will be parked till I find a 360 block and pull the 318. Anyone selling a 360LA long block? lol.

-
Back