Anyone Using a Small Block Gear Drive?

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Just curious.

Screen Shot 2023-01-25 at 7.32.21 PM.png

@Rat Bastid is and has for years, I have one as well but it's waiting for me to install it!, I think there are a few others on here as well.

HELL YES. Bullet proof. It will last forever if you keep oil on it. Your cam timing will never change. Your ignition timing will be more stable. You can run your piston to valve clearance much tighter.

Other than initial cost there are no downsides. It will outlast every timing chain ever made.
Check your messages sir.

The W5 motor in my old car I sold has the Milidon gear drive.
it’s been flawless per the owner.

The W5 motor in my old car I sold has the Milidon gear drive.
it’s been flawless per the owner.
Just a question if you don't mind, sir. Is the idler gear on the Milodon set totally fixed, or does it have "some" type of adjustment? Thank you drive through.

Just a question if you don't mind, sir. Is the idler gear on the Milodon set totally fixed, or does it have "some" type of adjustment? Thank you drive through.

it’s fixed. They say there is enough “ room” in what would be considered optimal engagement to account for align boring, etc.

Its fixed BUT…there is some adjustment to it through the SLIGHT movement in the bolt holes. So you have to set the backlash when you install it.

Its fixed BUT…there is some adjustment to it through the SLIGHT movement in the bolt holes. So you have to set the backlash when you install it.
It's looking brighter and brighter for my slant 6 gear drive. I think I'm gonna give it a shot.

The instructions say to just use a piece of newspaper for 003-006 clearance. Waiting on pistons to get the block back from the shop. Will be running the Milodon gear drive on it.

The instructions say to just use a piece of newspaper for 003-006 clearance. Waiting on pistons to get the block back from the shop. Will be running the Milodon gear drive on it.
Notebook paper and newspaper is generally only .002" thick in a single layer.

Notebook paper and newspaper is generally only .002" thick in a single layer.
You run it between the crank, idler, and cam gear, which doubles it relative to the idler, putting it within “the range”? Dunno, just reading the destructions…gonna go ahead with what the manufacturer says.

You run it between the crank, idler, and cam gear, which doubles it relative to the idler, putting it within “the range”? Dunno, just reading the destructions…gonna go ahead with what the manufacturer says.
Ok, that makes more sense. Thanks.

No I don't know anyone running one of these, I only recently found out they made them.
The milodon gear drive is around $900 to buy locally so most regular guys stick with the chain.
To me the design looks good but I'm no engineer, also not sure on quality of materials used.

Any thoughts on this as an alternative to the milodon gear drive?
SMALL BLOCK CHRYSLER 273-318-340-360 V8 GEAR DRIVE. | eBay

Haven‘t seen that one before but for a first look I wouldn’t be afraid to use that. The idler is fixed.

I could only see the single page of the instructions the seller posted but it looks like it uses a bushing to adjust cam timing.

I’d certainly run that long before I ran a chain.

Thanks, I had the engine finished up before I found this so it currently has a good double roller chain on it. I also threw a tensioner on there as I had one hanging around and did the chain oiling mod I saw in one of your posts to hopefully prolong the life of the chain/sprockets.
Might grab one of these anyway for a future build or when the current chain wears out.

-
Back