anyone wanna guess what my 1/8 mile will be

-
I hate guessing 1/8th mile numbers with no known comparible performance (slicks) to go off of............but here goes,

8.40/8.60 @ 80ish mph.

With a 26" tire, you'll probably cross the stripe in 2nd gear about 5000 rpms.

I believe your engine should easily produce the power to get there, and even faster. But with the 3.23's and the unknown quality/performance of the installed converter, i think my numbers are a good starting point.

Good Luck and have fun :thumbrig:.

Ok, here's my new guess...........Keep in mind, it's worth exactly what you paid for it....LOL.

@ 3250lbs, wet with you in it...

240hp.....stock 9ish cr. 340"
+20........headers
+15........carb & intake
+30........cam
----
305hp.......Sorry, i'm always conservative here :smile:.

With the new gear, and my projected mph, it should put you at 6100/6200 at the stripe in 2nd gear.........should be doable with your combo if, as said in the quote above, the converter performance is up to par, not too much slip? If you need to use 3rd for a short period, it may knock a little off the mph.

With all that hot air out of the way:D, here's my guess,

8.15 @ 83.0

My street car (Ford Focus Turbo) runs 9.0 @ 80mph. on the 1/8mile launch is everything, you don't have the opportunity to use top end grunt like you do on the 1/4

not trying to be mean but what does a ford focus have to do with this post lol:toothy7:
I think he's trying to tell you that if a s$%& wagon Focus can rattle off a 9.0 , then you are really gonna look like a rubber ducky if you can't pull a mid 8 out of your $&*
But maybe I'm reading too much into this. :D
With 3.91's if your tune up is close to good , 8.5
If you can get the car to launch I'm guessing you could maybe see an 8 teen , but a good driver will maybe pull consistent .20's.
As stated above , the launch is the key.
Especially in the 1/8th.......getting your 60 ' down is the best way to drop your e.t.

Well I guess we will all find out tomorrow because they are having a test n tune and a gambler race tomorrow at the track. The sweet thing is the track is only 4.5 miles from my house and my car is no trailer queen. Im gonna have a buddy video it for me. How do I post a link of it on here tomorrow. Would it be easier to just upload to youtube and add a link or what

Well Im a bit dissipointed I ran a 8.82 spinning off the line and it seemed to bog a little. My sixty foot was 1.98 and trap speed was 79.9. I started with about 19 psi in tires and then went to 12psi and still spun some and the car was way to fishy down the track meaning it didnt wanna go straight. I was shifting about 5700 rpm . I believe there is a 8.30 in the car easy if I can get my 60 foot into the 1.75 to 1.85 range. I dont understand why it hooked poorly with a 8.5 in slick , maybe I didnt warm it enough only trial and error will tell. Seems if I have to run 18psi to keep it straight it wont get enough traction.....

Well Im a bit dissipointed I ran a 8.82 spinning off the line and it seemed to bog a little. My sixty foot was 1.98 and trap speed was 79.9. I started with about 19 psi in tires and then went to 12psi and still spun some and the car was way to fishy down the track meaning it didnt wanna go straight. I was shifting about 5700 rpm . I believe there is a 8.30 in the car easy if I can get my 60 foot into the 1.75 to 1.85 range. I dont understand why it hooked poorly with a 8.5 in slick , maybe I didnt warm it enough only trial and error will tell. Seems if I have to run 18psi to keep it straight it wont get enough traction.....

19 is way to high... start at 15psi and go down for there... if its wiggly you have other issues. how is your front end? rebuilt?

are you running slicks on the rear and radials on the front?

19 is way to high... start at 15psi and go down for there... if its wiggly you have other issues. how is your front end? rebuilt?

are you running slicks on the rear and radials on the front?

Yep slicks on back and radials on the front. The is all new except for the pitman arm and idler arm. The rear of car got real squirrely with 12 psi. It has a ladder bar set up and should hook well

Yep slicks on back and radials on the front. The is all new except for the pitman arm and idler arm. The rear of car got real squirrely with 12 psi. It has a ladder bar set up and should hook well

is it squirmy in the front or is it fishtailing?

jack up one wheel and act like your trying to turn it left or right, watch you idler go up and down, means its bad... same with the pit. if they dont then they are fine.

Disappointing yes, but it's the first time out with the new combo, so no biggie. My main concern was how the converter would perform, but with the spinning issue, your not gonna get a accurate refection of what's going on there. You should be able to hook a 8" tire pretty well with the power level your at.

Two questions.........

1) I know you picked up the tires for a bargain. How deep are the wear holes on the tread? If there's little to no depth there, they might be past there lifespan.

2) Are you still sprung with the leaf's or has it been converted to coilovers? Just wondering how much adjustability you have.

Disappointing yes, but it's the first time out with the new combo, so no biggie. My main concern was how the converter would perform, but with the spinning issue, your not gonna get a accurate refection of what's going on there. You should be able to hook a 8" tire pretty well with the power level your at.

Two questions.........

1) I know you picked up the tires for a bargain. How deep are the wear holes on the tread? If there's little to no depth there, they might be past there lifespan.

2) Are you still sprung with the leaf's or has it been converted to coilovers? Just wondering how much adjustability you have.

I have ladder bars and coil overs. The slicks have some pretty good life left for sure

I have ladder bars and coil overs. The slicks have some pretty good life left for sure

oh i didn't know about the coils... that changes things... never played with coil setups...

Do you have screws to hold slicks to rims?Maybe spining on rim?

he said the slicks are in good shape but wont age and heat ruin the traction?

Yes the compound will go hard and give less traction if the slicks are older.Also depends on where they sat for years,maybe dried out?

Man, I typed several paragraphs about my thoughts on this and when I sent them, the site didn't take them and they disappeared :banghead:. I'm slow at typing, so maybe i'll try again..........maybe?

Ok, here goes, a abbreviated version,

Not having a visual of your setup, assuming you spun at the hit, you can set the bar's one hole higher in the front as long as you have adjustment at the back so you don't effect the pinion angle. That will hit the tire harder. If this causes a bounce out of the gate, then the shocks would need to be adjusted a little more toward a tighter, 50/50 setting.

I wonder how you were leaving, just off idle and flashing the stall, or hard on the converter out of the gate?

You may need some more front end lift? A crude, but effective way to tell is to put a few 40/50lb bags of sand in the back of the trunk. If it hooks well, then a loose front shock/suspension, will help with the launch.

I have kyb front shocks and 6 cylinder torsion bars so it should transfer weight good. The slicks are old but were stored in a dark dry garage so Im not real sure if they are good. I launched the car at 1500 rpm and 2000rpm and stall is supposed to be 3k but I didnt try to go any higher. It is possible the slicks are spinning on the rims as I dont have screws. I guess I can put a white mark on them next time out and go from there. The only place I can really see to adjust my suspension is where the shocks are . I can move it up and down

flip the slicks around...left on right..right on left...if they are getting old...do a good smoky burnout on them the first time out..

flip the slicks around...left on right..right on left...if they are getting old...do a good smoky burnout on them the first time out..

Good advice, done it several times myself.......... I have to think the tires may be your main issue........A 13sec. car with ladders, coilovers and slicks, should be able to hook. Done it a bunch of times myself on stock springs and belted street tires.

I have kyb front shocks and 6 cylinder torsion bars so it should transfer weight good. The slicks are old but were stored in a dark dry garage so Im not real sure if they are good. I launched the car at 1500 rpm and 2000rpm and stall is supposed to be 3k but I didnt try to go any higher. It is possible the slicks are spinning on the rims as I dont have screws. I guess I can put a white mark on them next time out and go from there. The only place I can really see to adjust my suspension is where the shocks are . I can move it up and down

kyb are junk for the strip... for a tester just get stock worn out front shocks and drill a hole in them to let the fluid out... or put comp eng front shocks on it, they are cheap and work well...

im running comps on 4 corners and suspension works great for a slant car...

Attachments

• 100_4910.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 125
  • 100_4911.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 113
Even on the street the slicks got squirmy and I put my radials on the back and car goes straight at 20 mph when i punch it but with the slicks at 12 psi it gets squirmy so its gotta be the slicks right.....

Even on the street the slicks got squirmy and I put my radials on the back and car goes straight at 20 mph when i punch it but with the slicks at 12 psi it gets squirmy so its gotta be the slicks right.....

well your not supposed to mix biasply (slicks) with radial tires are it can get squirly but in the drags is not usually an issue, i run 14.25 with 195-65-14 radial fronts with Hoosier 28x9-15 slick rears with no issues.

you still havn't told us the condition of the idler and pitman...

-
Back