anyone with hernia story? just had surgery

-

VDART

Reaction score
Just got home today from the hospital-- had hernia surgery & a colonoscopy!! --I like to bundle my items!!

took forever to get out of the hospital, could not fill the cup satisfactorily.

anyhow, will be on here a lot more for the next few weeks recovering -- hopefully I can function later this week.

Anyone with a related good news story?
Lawrence

I had a hernia surgery last March. The first few days were terrible. At 1 week post op it was manageable. Week 4 I was back at work. Still feel it sometimes but not much. Good luck.

I found a 69 fastback cuda under a tree , knocked on the door and asked to talk to the owner, he told me it was him and he had just come home from hernia surg so I left my# ,waited 1 week and he called me back and sold me the car. Over the next couple weeks I had a doz or so people knocking on my door, tellin me that they have been tryin to buy that car for a couple of years and that the guy was a slam the door in your face kinda guy... Not for sale!! Right place right hernia surg I guess!!

Back in 91.... Nurse told me I was a wuse and to suck it up! When i asked her if I should be coughing up blood ...she asked me what king of anesctetic I got...I told her and she said "well we didnt cause it" and left the room !

Oh yeah, I have one heck of a hernia story but its much more than I'm willing to type.
Gather round the camp fire and I can tell the tale of a young mans hernia.
Let me just say "It was 6 WONDERFUL weeks that I will never forget".
Good luck with your recovery.

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. Recovery was over Christmas vacation and went pretty easy. Got out of snow shoveling for a week. But not much pain and no problems. Now I just remember I'm not bulletproof and 20.

I've had 2 so far.Matching scars on both sides of my groin.The second one was better than the first because I was older and could enjoy my time off.Needless to say there is no more heavy lifting going on.Good luke with your recovery

Thanks guys!! day 2 I'm slowly walking around I've heard that movement quickens the healing. I'll be the big 50 in November.

I've had 2 so far.Matching scars on both sides of my groin.The second one was better than the first because I was older and could enjoy my time off.Needless to say there is no more heavy lifting going on.Good luke with your recovery

Same here, same story lol!!!

Had the last one in 99 I think? It was time to move out of my apartment and into a friends house, had the surgery a week earlier so I couldn't lift a thing, got to watch my helpers do it lol!! Also I was driving my Valiant at the time, it had a 3-on-the-tree and I couldnt shift it with my leg, other car was my 98 Neon R/T and that car was too low for me to get in and out and also stick , so my dad was nice enough to let me use his 1959 Fury for a week! It has the rare swivel front seats so it was super easy getting in and out when I was stiff and sore :glasses7:

When I was 7. All I remember is my nut sac swelled and hurt. And after the fix I couldn't laugh or sneeze.

When I was 7. All I remember is my nut sac swelled and hurt. And after the fix I couldn't laugh or sneeze.

My son had that same type of hernia fixed when he was about the same age. He had to have it fixed again about 5 years ago after some heavy lifting at his work.
He's now 31 years old and just told me he's got to get it fixed again, and once more due to heavy lifting on the job. Trouble is, he's not working at present due to a layoff from his work. He never told them about the hernia when it happened.

Had one repaired about fifteen years ago, and it was almost as fast as an oil change. In by 7, out by 10, and only a mild inconvenience, with no pain that aspirin didn't handle. One day in bed, three or four days of taking it easy and almost back to feeling normal in two weeks. No heavy lifting for six weeks. Took a couple of years to get feeling back in the repaired area and I can still feel the "boot" they put in.

Well after reading all this, I'm more weary now than I was before about getting mine fixed. I have a consult with a surgeon in a couple weeks. Mine has bothered me a little over the last 2.5 years. But last week during softball, something happened and I could barely walk for a couple days. That's the first time that has ever felt that bad. My whole aim at getting this done is so that I can start exercising again. But it sounds like that may not be an option anymore from some of your stories. Am I reading that right?

Keep us updated on your recovery Lawrence.

Had three so far and HOPE LIKE HELL that I don't get another one! Three over the course of 25 years. Matching smiles on both side of my groin and the last one was done laproscopic. My gut is full of mesh and I hope its kevlar lol!

Had hernia surgery when I was 17 or so. Couldn't bend my body upright for a week. Had to walk around the house like I had a corn on the cob stuck up my butt. Good luck! :D

I had the doc repair both sides-- the right side was bulging & would gurgle & make strange noises--
Doc said the other side was not too far behind, it had gotten worse the last month or so& i was concerned I would not be able to push it back in place.

I lay around for a couple of hours then stand slowly walk around the house(or check out FABO)-- really stiff -especially when changing positions( laying to standing-- etc..)
so far it is manageable-- not sleeping too good yet.

as for the time of the surgery approx 1 hour-- I was talking in the mask & the next thing I knew they were waking me up in the recovery room.
The doc I used has done 1800 or so hernia surgeries.(according to him)

Good luck with your recovery... My story is to not get one.. But just had heart surgery a month ago and that is year after cervical spine sugery of 5 levels fused.That is a long long long recovery and am still waiting for the full recovery. It takes alot of time the older you get....Bill

I haven't had hernia surgery before. But I've done anesthesia for hundreds of them. You guys should ask for a TAP block (transversus abdominus plane). We use ultra sound to guide a needle between two muscle and block the nerves that send pain impulses from the groin area. The result is no pain for the first 12 to 16 hours. Which in turn speeds up recovery.

I had a double.
Its SUCKED the first week as in I couldn't
stand upright and barely could walk to the bathroom.
I sat with ice on my badly swollen nads the first few days.
I had the mesh installed and have had problems with
infections settling in around it.
Its bad enough I have to take antibiotics before any dental work
as a precaution.
Good Luck on you surgery.

update!!-- will go back to work Monday, not getting a paycheck hampers things a bit, the time off was great-- but for Kansas it rained almost daily-- in fact I think this is the new record for rain in August!!(no outside stuff getting done)

I'm feeling pretty good-- just hard to get back into the pace I use at work-- but that will come .
I had to quite taking the percoset-- damn things would not let me sleep.
It was nice having time, took my son up to college-- thinks he can play baseball-- it will be an experience for him.

Won't be as quick to respond-- work keeps a tight rein on my time -- so it will be early mornings & late evenings!!
hopefully that will be the last surgery for some time-- the colon check came out great which is a relief-- my family loves the big "C".
Lawrence

-
Back