Approximate Cost to Buld 375-400hp 360?

-

Dragin Demon

Reaction score
Howdy,

Could anyone give me an estimated price, including parts and machine work, to rebuild a junkyard 360 into a 375hp-400hp motor? Thanks!

To do everything by the book the right way, probably between 5-7K.

I had a shop build one for me last year, including steel crank, roller cam and a new intake and Holley 600 I spent around $6,500.00

When I started from scratch on a 360 build in 2001 I think I spent about $4500, doing the assembly myself.

It can be done for a lot less if you can handle leaving the shortblock untouched. Many have gone that route since a used bottom end will likely live plenty long enough in a low mileage weekend cruiser. If this interests you there's info I can direct you to for specifics.

junk yard 360 mag engine. rhs heads and eddy performer rpm and 750 carb with headers and an upgraded cam and your nearly there.

There are short cuts that can be made, that's for sure. The answer though to someone asking me regarding hiring my services is what I said in my first post. No way would I try to cut corners doing it for hire. Also, if you're starting from scratch and have nothing, the price can be even higher. It's an expensive hobby. No two ways about it.

Whatever you think it will be, double it. Worked out perfectly for me anyways. Im still spending money on mine!

If you have the long block, that will save a lot of money, not having to buy little stuff. For 400 hp you could use the stock crank and rods, heads with a little pocket port, even the stock rockers if they are in good shape will work fine. Shoot for 10. To 1, a cam in the 480ish lift with around 235 to 244 @.050 duration, rpm air gap or LD 340 intake block the heat crossover, and a 750 holley with headers.

It depends on if your doing all the work, or paying someone else to do it. It also depends on the level of machine work that is going to be done, cost of a core, and if your going to reuse parts or start from new. We have a Classic Cruiser 360 that makes around 360-380HP and sell them complete from Carb to Oil pan, dyno run for cam break-in and tuned for $5850. Everything is new or reconditioned to be better than new with new parts(valves, guides, springs, rod bolts, all hardware, ect). e don't reuse oil pans, timing covers, valve covers and things like that, all new.

Yes you can do it yourself for less, but do you have a dyno? Can you port your heads and do all the mods that need to be done to make it a real cruiser that will last forever? Can you set up a valve train correctly(a lot of threads on here about bent pushrods and valves)? Its not that hard to do it, but its not that hard to not do it right either.

Attachments

• CC360-1.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 606
Last forever? I would be interested in that.

It depends on if your doing all the work, or paying someone else to do it. It also depends on the level of machine work that is going to be done, cost of a core, and if your going to reuse parts or start from new. We have a Classic Cruiser 360 that makes around 360-380HP and sell them complete from Carb to Oil pan, dyno run for cam break-in and tuned for $5850. Everything is new or reconditioned to be better than new with new parts(valves, guides, springs, rod bolts, all hardware, ect). e don't reuse oil pans, timing covers, valve covers and things like that, all new.

Yes you can do it yourself for less, but do you have a dyno? Can you port your heads and do all the mods that need to be done to make it a real cruiser that will last forever? Can you set up a valve train correctly(a lot of threads on here about bent pushrods and valves)? Its not that hard to do it, but its not that hard to not do it right either.

Wow this sounds like a great way to go for the person who is looking for a drop-in engine. And complete from carb to pan, and dyno tuned to boot. Way to go Mike.

4,000 to 7,000 , at least that's what it cost me to get 400+hp out of a 340 , depends on how much you do yourself and the type parts used . Forged pistons and crank or cast , iron heads or alu , lots of variables . MRL 360 is a good deal for a 360 with all new parts , built right .

-
Back