Approximate Cost to Buld 375-400hp 360?

-
Last forever? I would be interested in that.

At this level and what its intended for. Forever is just a term. You figure the normal guy with a classic car only drives it 1000-5000 miles a season. I know some are more and some are less, but this is what I have gathered from talking to hundreds of you guys over the years. A factory built 360 will go 100K easy, with junk machine work and no attention to detail. I built the prototype for this classic cruiser years ago(2002ish). That engine is still living a happy life and has over 50K miles on it now. The guy who bought it is a good friend now and keeps up with me. No leaks, no issue and it runs as good now as the day he got it. Its been down the stip a lot, 1/8 miles stuff. All he does is change the oil and air filter. And that engine isnt as good as the ones I make today. My process has changed a bit and parts selection has been tweaked to make them better. That first one made 335hp, now they are close to 400hp.

My 340 cost around 7k total (roughly 1k for the near long block, and then 6 for parts and labor, probably put more new on it than absolutely needed) and it is supposed to be around 375hp (no dyno or anything though). If in the market for those numbers, the MRL package looks enticing.

It's basically a stock 360 with a cam to reach 350hp. The MP 300hp crate engines are stock Magnum long blocks with an intake and headers. The stock cam... If you want some extra pop, smoothness, and efficiency, replace the pistons and do a competition valve job. The last one I quoted was under $5K, reusing only castings and tin: block, rods, crank, and heads. Not including dyno testing, but did include running it on the stand and breaking in the camshaft.

Crate motor then you know how much to spend. Build the one you have for a spare your self down the road. that's how you learn. You will always want more horse power. That's the way we are!

I wouldn't spend that much for your goal in a 360,
Get yourself a low mileage 5.9, the 380 hp create use to be a 5.9 with cam, 4 bbl and headers and said to dyno more like 400hp plus. So an 750 airgap, headers and even a mild ish cam should get you into you 375-400 range. Then you can always do upgrades down the road like ported out eddy heads, and then build a 408 short block.
Pay and play as you go.

I guess I don't get the horsepower request. I think the right way to build is to know what you would be happy with, and how the car will be used. So many want a 400 horsepower motor, then say they would love to have a low 13 second car that was street friendly and run pump gas. I guess I would tell you that I went high 12's on a 1000 dollar 360 (that included the 25 bucks I paid for it) in a A-body. It was in the car when I sold it about 5 years later, and still ran perfect. I was very street friendly, and I drove it an hour one way to get to the track, and ran it as I drove it. Now ask me the horsepower...... I DON'T KNOW !! :)

Exactly. ^^^^ Most people wantin this horse power or that horse power wouldn't know an honest 300 horse power if they felt it. They grab what they read on forums and elsewhere and run with it.

Probably 90% of the people on here would be real surprised what a real 300 HP would do in a well prepped car.

Exactly. ^^^^ Most people wantin this horse power or that horse power wouldn't know an honest 300 horse power if they felt it. They grab what they read on forums and elsewhere and run with it.

Probably 90% of the people on here would be real surprised what a real 300 HP would do in a well prepped car.

Or even a poorly prepped car...
A stock 360 4bbl with a cam, valve springs, and headers would probably do fine. With a good tuner, more than fine.

Or even a poorly prepped car...
A stock 360 4bbl with a cam, valve springs, and headers would probably do fine. With a good tuner, more than fine.

Yes.....better than most will ever know.

The Magnums are a better base in many respects but in my opinion once you get into actually building one (as in machining the block, etc) it's cheaper and easier to use an LA.

For you guys interested in the topic of 400hp budget builds... I will be dynoing my upcoming turbo kits that I'll be selling in the spring on a dead stock 130k mile 5.2L magnum motor.

I guarantee it will be the cheapest way to 400+hp with the best drivability (stock cam/compression) that you could ask for.

-
Back