Are 302 heads on an older 318 plug n' play?

-

Teeth & Tires

A-retentive
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Should be an easy question because of the minimal variables.

Assuming I just want to stick with stock everything....valves, cams, etc. will 302 heads drop right in on a '69 318? What of pushrod lengths? What of intake and exhaust port alignment?

*I've noticed alot of "302" threads using the search but the titles are all horribly vague.

thanks

Almost. you have to plug the smog holes under the exhaust ports. Use 1/4-20 set screws with threadlocker & you'll be set. you may have clearance issues with stock exhaust manifolds. Ask me how I know? anyhow a set of headers may be called for as clearancing the stockers leaves far too little material to be comfortable with.

Okay, so by "clearance issues" you mean between exh manifold and fender, I'm assuming. Are the exhaust ports set higher or lower? What's the cause?

Otherwise, just use the 318's pushrods and rock on from there?

Okay, so by "clearance issues" you mean between exh manifold and fender, I'm assuming. Are the exhaust ports set higher or lower? What's the cause?

No clearance issues, unless he's talking about putting set screws in the head and not going flush on them, to block the exhaust air pump feed passages that sit about a half of an inch down on the head from the exhaust ports. Or maybe a set of the '302 head exhaust manifolds?

Aside from the air feed passages, externally they have the same dimensions and if you go flush with the set screws, you don't need to worry about any clearance issues with your current exhaust.

The exhaust ports and intake ports are standard 318 size and alignment, as well as the bolt holes, water passages and oil passages.

Basically, just block the air injection passages below the exhaust and go for it.

No...between the head and certain manifolds...drivers side '67 ones anyway. The "downpipe" area of the manifolds hits a section of casting on the 302's. You can clearance bothe the head and the manifold to achieve the required space.

Thank you, gents! It's all going in a '69 Barracuda (you probably guessed) and plan to use the stock manifolds. I can handle a little grinding if that's all that's needed.

Nice work Saetun/ Bonds.....Dave...Bonds.(lol.,sorry.). Some good points,between these two. I learned ,the hard way,listen I would now.

-
Back