Are all tracks going 1/8 mile.

-

aaronk785

Reaction score
My local track is going to 1/8 mile for all cars faster than 11.60. This is the bracket series. I've raced alot more 1/8 than 1/4 but always look forward to running the the 1/4. Now almost all my racing will be 1/8. Bummer. Might run my 5.13s now.

Ours runs both. Big events and fast cars can go 1/8th. We are getting concrete barriers this year so we can run 1/4 mile safer and within NHRA rules.

CFMP.jpg

my track is 1/4 mile... with "certain" events 1/8 mile

The way Spokane (Spokamentro) is going I doubt we will HAVE a track

Brainerd Int Raceway, Minnesota will always be 1/4 mile. Because of the size of the track. Over 1 mile straight where the big road course and Superbikes race. This gives about a 1/2 shutdown track that leads to a 200 MPH road course turn. Funny cars who's chutes failed have made that turn. If NHRA starts to only sanction 1/8 mile events? I believe will be just another nail in their coffin. (And they have enough as is.) 1/8 is for street racers. JMO.

We have an 1/8 mile track about 15 miles from the house and a 1/4 track about 65 miles from the house in both directions. I've never liked 1/8 mile racing, however, it is much more representative of what we used to call "red light to red light". I just cannot STAND dragging a car to the track to get maybe 5 or 6 runs in that are that short. It's just not like it used to be. I remember going to the track when I was in school and shortly after and we could get in probably 10-12 runs every night of the weekend.

The 3 1/8th mile tracks by me are set up well, anytime I go for T&T I usually get 5-10 passes before any bracket racing starts. Sometimes I participate for an extra $5.00, other times not.

I think renegade raceway near Yakima WA runs both.

The 3 1/8th mile tracks by me are set up well, anytime I go for T&T I usually get 5-10 passes before any bracket racing starts. Sometimes I participate for an extra $5.00, other times not.

Man that's nice. We're lucky to get in 3 runs.

well...a few months ago it was announced that the Div 7 bracket Finals to be held in Sacramento Raceway park would be 1/8 mile for Super Pro and Pro whereas the Sportsman would still run the full 1/4...no explanation at all...So Top Gun raceway in Northern Nevada decided they would change their program to reflect what Sacto was doing.......They got a lot of negative responses from the racers...since it is out in the sticks...racers said they would not tow to race 1/8......and Bingo...they changed their minds....1/4 drags ...but will have a 1/8 loser bracket....lol

Topgun said they were going to 1/8 mile for some bracket races... EVERYONE pitched a fit.. they changed it back within a couple of days.

I bitched a lot....Top Gun is 370 miles tow....it DA is usually well over 6000 ft....my cars slow down 3 tenths...Famoso Raceway in Bakersfield is 323 miles away and is only 600 feet above sea level and my cars usually run 2 to 3 tenths faster....Given the choice....Which way do you think I am going....and that is what I posted...

And the quality of the track is light years difference...I will still go to TG to support the track ...but not for 1/8 mile racing.

Last edited:
TnT at our track on Friday nights is "how ever many runs you can get in". IF you go round and round, maybe 20. However, I can only make it on Saturdays and TnT gets called up by class, like all the other classes and I'm lucky to get 2 runs in. Sometimes, if not enough tnt folks, they make us run with Trophy in which I get 2 trial and one in 1st round of competition. So 3 for sure... LOL But, they are 1/4 mile passes unless the certain "special events".

My local track , Maple Grove Raceway, is 1/4 mile. But they have so big money bracket races, that are not part of the points program run 1/8 mi. They have run 1/8 bracket races for points already, because of high winds or dampness in the shutdown area. And some of the racers left instead of racing 1/8 mi. The reason I was told at the big money races they run 1/8 mile is because of the car counts. But that doesn't make sense at Maple Grove, because there is no early turn off, and you have to go all the way to the bottom of the track. So it actually takes longer.

This is heartland motor sports park. Top fuels run here, so not a safety concern. I bet it’s insurance.

My local track , Maple Grove Raceway, is 1/4 mile. But they have so big money bracket races, that are not part of the points program run 1/8 mi. They have run 1/8 bracket races for points already, because of high winds or dampness in the shutdown area. And some of the racers left instead of racing 1/8 mi. The reason I was told at the big money races they run 1/8 mile is because of the car counts. But that doesn't make sense at Maple Grove, because there is no early turn off, and you have to go all the way to the bottom of the track. So it actually takes longer.

At Maple Grove I'm pretty sure one pass puts over mile on your car from pits to track and back.

Ideally? Plan for 1/4. But allow track officials to reduce to 1/8th if conditions dictate for safety reasons. To be honest? Most races are determined at 1/8th mile? (Not all, but most.)

-
Back