Are Hughes cams that good?!!!

-
Dads car has a Hughes solid .620 .626 254* 260*, no I can't compare it to another cam in his motor but I'm not super impressed with it.so far it's been 7.35 in the 1/8. It's going to get a comp 650 roller cam so we will se e howmuch better that does.

My 383 has a MP 590 cam which seems to perform great, not to mention it took a while to start up, I also left the inner springs in so 400lb open pressure and it didn't wipe a lobe. If you really want a good cam call bullet and talk to Kurt, he will get you a good cam!

Dads car has a Hughes solid .620 .626 254* 260*, no I can't compare it to another cam in his motor but I'm not super impressed with it.so far it's been 7.35 in the 1/8. It's going to get a comp 650 roller cam so we will se e howmuch better that does.

My 383 has a MP 590 cam which seems to perform great, not to mention it took a while to start up, I also left the inner springs in so 400lb open pressure and it didn't wipe a lobe. If you really want a good cam call bullet and talk to Kurt, he will get you a good cam!

why stop if the 650 roller...get a 750 roller....maybe it is not the cam....lol

my 10.5 to 1 360 demon has a Hughes 256/265...one of there old solid cams...1/8 is 6.79 in on a 10.76 @ 122 pass...in Vegas .3 slower then sea level.....maybe i need to spend another 1000 bucks on roller cam and lifters...

car weights 2950 with me...

maybe you can get kurt from bullet to tune the car too....

Funny how some think there is voodoo in cam shafts. There is not. It is the correct lobe, with the correct LSA, with the correct timing FOR YOUR COMBINATION is what works.

That's why I ALWAYS say to call ALL the cam people and find out who you get on with best. That usually ends up in the best cam, if the is such a critter out there.

Funny how some think there is voodoo in cam shafts. There is not. It is the correct lobe, with the correct LSA, with the correct timing FOR YOUR COMBINATION is what works.

That's why I ALWAYS say to call ALL the cam people and find out who you get on with best. That usually ends up in the best cam, if the is such a critter out there.

This....

I was going to say the OP needs the ISKY 260 Mega cam, and if you are feeling a bit groggy, you can use the 270 Mega. I have used a bunch of them, all the way up to the 305. You don't need a custom cam for what you want.

RRR is probably close, I just hate comp bad enough I would pay for a cam from some one else than run a free comp.

Either the comp or Isky will be what you want.

EDIT: Isky has added part numbers that I didn't have. I can never see a reason to run a LSA of over 108 on p-car heads. There are some new Mega grinds on a 112 LSA and I consider those worthless. Evidently, Isky drank the marketing koolaid.

Part number 160164 is the 264 Mega and part number 160171 is the 270 Mega. Both are on a 108 LSA.
Pass on Isky,get away from those narrow lobe separations.... Just personal experiences...

I really like the Isky cam in my 340, old skool grind....:glasses7:

Keith,that's an old school build,it works good. They work,people "want it all", without the experience of knowing how to deal with a cam like these.:glasses7: Of course,you get it.. You're not afraid of deep gears,& nasty cams. If I know you well enough,you prefer it.. (And that's a good THING...)!

Keith,that's an old school build,it works good. They work,people "want it all", without the experience of knowing how to deal with a cam like these.:glasses7: Of course,you get it.. You're not afraid of deep gears,& nasty cams. If I know you well enough,you prefer it.. (And that's a good THING...)!

Thank you all for for your input it's been very helpful. I'm definitely no expert on the dynamics of cams, that's why I posed the question in the first place. There’s definitely an overload of information out there, and l feel asking others what their experiences tells me more then any advertised claims. I'm looking for that magical balance between drivablity of and performance. Racing is not realy my thing, I'm not concerned about running in the 10's, but I do want have fun when I hit the gas, and all this input is definitely opening my eyes a little more as to what to expect.

And the debate goes on.....:burnout:

That's it! That's the cam I'm going use,it's prefect! !!!:blob:
Looks like all the lift and duration a man could ever want LOL
Good choice :drunken: :salut:
P.S. you can always count on me for the most insightful pre-tested best advice....

-
Back