Are Hughes cams that good?!!!

-

Valkman

Reaction score
I've been looking for a good street cam and I see that Hughes claims that this cam (SEH2428AL-11) http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...Y2sgIkxBIg==&level1=Q2Ftc2hhZnQ=&partid=30241 is a good street-able cam using a a stock converter and 3.55 gears, but can that be true with a .530" lift? They also say you need their springs a lifters and at $470 (for all) it's a bit pricey!

Has anyone used this cam? what kind of power did it make? is it as mild as they are claiming? and is it worth it?

I looking for a good street cam and I see that Hughes claims that this cam (SEH2428AL-11) http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...Y2sgIkxBIg==&level1=Q2Ftc2hhZnQ=&partid=30241 is a good street-able cam using a a stock converter and 3.55 gears, but can that be true with a .530" lift? They also say you need their springs a lifters and at $470 (for all) it's a bit pricey!

Has anyone used this cam? what kind of power did it make? is it as mild as they are claiming? and is it worth it?

I had one a couple steps more aggressive than that one. It went flat. Had problems getting the engine started for break-in, so apparently, all the assembly lube got wiped off. I ended up going with a Comp cam after that.

They would have you believe that. They took an idea from the 70s, made it their own, and convinced a lot of enthusiasts that they indeed are the best for Mopars. The reality is that choice cost a lot of users in terms of engine parts because they pushed the envelope too far. Truth is, the right cam for your combo will meet all your goals including power, efficiency, and longevity. And more than likely the right cam doesn't need to be on the ragged edge of high rates of lift, which is really what Hughes touts as "unique".

I've been looking for a good street cam and I see that Hughes claims that this cam (SEH2428AL-11) http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...Y2sgIkxBIg==&level1=Q2Ftc2hhZnQ=&partid=30241 is a good street-able cam using a a stock converter and 3.55 gears, but can that be true with a .530" lift? They also say you need their springs a lifters and at $470 (for all) it's a bit pricey!

I use one of their other hydraulic cams 3037 230/237 with .515/.535 lift with 1.5 rockers...I am using 1.6 rockers. I did not use their lifters nor their springs, using the stock springs on eddy heads....my cam has a noticeable idle...using basically stock converter and 3.23 gears.....

Cam has a lot of street miles...and some passes down the track...never had any problems with their cams ...got 3 of them in our bracket cars..

go on you-tube type in hughes cams ....there is a great one on there whiplash cam ....i would go with the lunati voo-doo line ...great cams !!!!

70aarcuda, what kind of powerf were you making at what rpms ?

I'm terrified of that when it comes time to crank mine up!

:banghead:

Too late to go to roller lifters? That's the cure for flat cams and makes better power to boot....

70aarcuda, what kind of powerf were you making at what rpms ?

have no idea....the bracket cars are listed below....et and mph....

the 73 duster has run 12.80s in Vegas which is 3 tenths slower then sea level...

Hughes cams are not going to save the world. They are just one of many components to make a engine / car run

I'm terrified of that when it comes time to crank mine up!

:banghead:

Well, learn from my mistake: if it doesn't fire up right away, break it open and re-lube it before you try firing it up again (after you figure out why it didn't start). After that happened, I tore it back down and took it to Brian (IMM Engines) so he could put it some of his touches on it and break it in/tune it on the dyno. He recommended the cam and carb, which are the same as what he used in one of the earlier SB Mopar Carcraft articles he did. Mine ended up making slightly more than the one he built for the article, but there was more work done to my heads than on the one in the article.

Too late to go to roller lifters? That's the cure for flat cams and makes better power to boot....

Absolutely.....but the cost......ugh

Well, learn from my mistake: if it doesn't fire up right away, break it open and re-lube it before you try firing it up again (after you figure out why it didn't start). After that happened, I tore it back down and took it to Brian (IMM Engines) so he could put it some of his touches on it and break it in/tune it on the dyno. He recommended the cam and carb, which are the same as what he used in one of the earlier SB Mopar Carcraft articles he did. Mine ended up making slightly more than the one he built for the article, but there was more work done to my heads than on the one in the article.

That's a lot of freakin work with the engine installed!
Did you find out why it wouldn't fire?

:burnout:

Absolutely.....but the cost......ugh

That's a lot of freakin work with the engine installed!
Did you find out why it wouldn't fire?

:burnout:

Had a POS Proform carb on it for one, and if I remember correctly, the timing was also too far off.

I am running the older HE3844AL cam in my 360 motor. 238/244 @ 0.050, .535/.540 lift and 108 LSA. Also running the valve springs they recommended at that time to be used with this cam, those being # 1111. But I ran SpeedPro HT2011R lifters with 0 (zero) pre-load, these are anti pump-up lifters. A tad noisy, but motor pulled easily to 6500 RPM.

Anyways...cam wise, I accept what their stated goal of delivering these cams was: get to the bleeding edge of lift for a specific lobe duration in a flat tappet hydrauilc cam. That risk was OK with me.

Since I built the motor I see that Voodoo now has even more aggressive cam profiles...as mentioned though, set your goal of risk/rewards and go from there.

I have ran them in several engines.
No complaints.

I will be a returning customer.

I am running the previous model of this cam. HE2328 .504/.514 lift in my 360 Dart. Has a slight noticeable idle. I like it. I have run several of their cams and I'm always happy.

I am running the previous model of this cam. HE2328 .504/.514 lift in my 360 Dart. Has a slight noticeable idle. I like it. I have run several of their cams and I'm always happy.

But what kind of power were you producing?

But what kind of power were you producing?

Dang dude. What the heck difference does that make? Do you know what a real 350 HP fells like? Would you know the difference between that and 400?

You've already been given drag strip results. That's WAY more info than dyno results. The Hughes cams work but they are not a magic "make more power than any other cam" cam.

If you are THAT concerned with horse power, why are you even messin around with a small block anyway? If you are looking for every single 1/2 horse power you can find, you should be building a blown and injected nitro snortin Hemi.

Dang dude. What the heck difference does that make? Do you know what a real 350 HP fells like? Would you know the difference between that and 400?

You've already been given drag strip results. That's WAY more info than dyno results. The Hughes cams work but they are not a magic "make more power than any other cam" cam.

If you are THAT concerned with horse power, why are you even messin around with a small block anyway? If you are looking for every single 1/2 horse power you can find, you should be building a blown and injected nitro snortin Hemi.
Easy Rob, Eeassy!..
Goozfrabaah.. goozfrahbah! Lol!

Easy Rob, Eeassy!..
Goozfrabaah.. goozfrahbah! Lol!

Just trying to point out that he can drive himself crazy with these type things. Just pick a good combo and go. It will make plenty of power.

I don't think Hughes makes there own cams? As I understand they recently found another manufacturer to grind there cams for them to put their names on. I think it was like a year ago I called about something and was curious to the reason their cams had went down in price significantly and they said something about finding someone else to make them for them. I could be completely wrong here.

Just trying to point out that he can drive himself crazy with these type things. Just pick a good combo and go. It will make plenty of power.

I know it's all about the combination that makes the engine, but the cam is the brain. Knowing the power output at given rpm range of someone else's engine combination, gives me an idea on what to expect from mine

I know it's all about the combination that makes the engine, but the cam is the brain. Knowing the power output at given rpm range of someone else's engine combination, gives me an idea on what to expect from mine

I understand. Do the math from Tony's drag strip times. Plenty of online converters that will tell you HP from the info he gave. Even still, his car is not yours, so it's all relative. That's why I always discourage people from the numbers game.

Pretty sure....that Howard's grinds Hughes cams these days....

some of the grinds are identical...and at that time Hughes dropped their price from 250 to 165 for their hydraulic and solid grinds...

-
Back