Are there suppose to be 2 fuel filters?

-

57dodged100

Reaction score
Finely getting around to replacing my plastic fuel filter and fuel hose with metal wix filters and fuel injection hose. The car is a '72 Scamp with slant six.

Currently, there are two fuel filters. One is just as the fuel line leaves the tank and the other is between the fuel pump and the carb.

Is this stock? Is this recommended? If not stock, would multiple filters restrict fuel flow?

Should I replace one or both?

Thanks,
Stephen

No idea, when I got my car back from the shop putting new engine in it.... they didn't even have a fuel filter on it:eek:ops:

Keep the one between the fuel pump and the carb.

The one between the tank and fuel pump may restrict the feed of fuel as it is gravity fed up to the pump.

After the pump you have fuel pump pressure to "plow through the restriction" of the filter.

There is less flow restriction if you put the filter after the pump.

Also there is a "filter" on the end of the fuel sending unit in the tank to keep the big stuff out of the line which should keep the line to the fuel pump from getting to much of the "garbage" in it. No need for a filter coming out of the tank...

There should be only one filter between the fuel pump and carb. I would imagine the filter between the tank and pump was put in to filter rust from the tank. It is common with old cars and old tanks. The engine driven fuel pumps do have a slight vacuum on the tank side to pull fuel to the pump. I would just use the filter near the carb and change it after a thousand miles. When you take it off, turn it over and drain the gas into a cup or bowl. It should be clear. If it is orange color it has rust in it from your tank and lines. The best thing to do is install a new tank, sender, and lines. The finest rust particles will go through your filter and end up in the float bowls of your carb. tmm

Thanks for the quick answers! The previous owner put on a new tank, so I'll just delete the filter closest to the tank, keep the one between the pump and carb.

Thanks FABO!

There should be only one filter between the fuel pump and carb. I would imagine the filter between the tank and pump was put in to filter rust from the tank. It is common with old cars and old tanks. The engine driven fuel pumps do have a slight vacuum on the tank side to pull fuel to the pump. I would just use the filter near the carb and change it after a thousand miles. When you take it off, turn it over and drain the gas into a cup or bowl. It should be clear. If it is orange color it has rust in it from your tank and lines. The best thing to do is install a new tank, sender, and lines. The finest rust particles will go through your filter and end up in the float bowls of your carb. tmm
I read that orange gas is from it breaking down,correct me if i an wrong there is a name for it it skips my mine,whatsssssssssss left of it.

I read that orange gas is from it breaking down,correct me if i an wrong there is a name for it it skips my mine,whatsssssssssss left of it.

Dang, never heard of that Snake. My gas tank had clumps of rust in it and the color was orange when I poured it out of the filter. My neighbor has a 68 Galaxie and he complained of it running bad and stalling. I looked it over and pulled the filter and poured it out. It was orange colored. I took the carb off and opened it up. Rusty orange gas was just about covering the jets. I cleaned and kitted the carb and with a new filter it ran like a top again. I called it "rust dust" in the carb. Particles so small they went through the filter and collected in the bottom of the bowl. I hope he puts a new tank, lines, and sender on this summer. tmm

-
Back