are these original

-

Tadams

Tadams
Reaction score
65 barracuda formula S. Are these the original brake pads for this car. I can't find any like it. At the part store.

Picture didn't come through, They are split down the center

I've seen that style before. It's been a while. They will work, not sure if they are the originals....

I saw a few of those back in the day when I was doing brake jobs as a young mechanic. That divided center pattern left a ridge in the drum that sometimes made it difficult to remove the drum if the adjuster wheel was worn and wouldn't back off all the way.

I just wondered if they were the original ones that came on the car. The drums had the ridge in the center and the whole assembly was very rusty. It has new ones now, just have to replace the emergency brake cable. It was frozen on the rear. Not off work again till a week from tomorrow. So again she waits for me.

Clean 'em up and take a picture of the markings. Most shoes and pads will have codes stamped into the metal and 'edge codes' inked or stamped into the edges of the lining. That will help figure out if they were original. Because of the rapid changes in shoes even without a number, a picture has good potential as a clue.
FWIW
10x1.75" rear shoes through Feb '67 are FMSI # 256. March '67 through the end of '68 model year they were 288. For model year '69 they switched to 331 along with the new style adjuster system.

The Chrysler Master Technician's booklet 69-7 recommends the "new grooved" linings. See page 5. (booklet online at www.imperialclub.org as well as hamtramck-historical website).

Thanks for the info. I'll clean them up and see what I find

-
Back