Are these worth it?

-

kc0r8y

Reaction score
Hi,
Looking to put a new exhaust on my 408 Dart. I'm going with the Doug's D453s and i'm looking to dump the exhaust in front of the rear end. I'd like to go with flow masters.

Was looking at these and just wanted to get some opinions.

Amazon.com: Flowmaster 817574 American Thunder 409S Stainless Steel Dual Dump Exit Cat-Back Exhaust System with Aggressive Sound: Automotive

I'm thinking out of the Dougs, into an X then into these.

Thoughts/opinions?

just my comments,, looks like a lot of $ for two mufflers and header connections,
for that cash you could get a welding class, and the parts,, the welder would be +$ but you would have the skill.
just a thought,, if you are a bolt on an go person,, maybe ok.

Ending under the car means loud. The sound bounces between the chassis and pavement like a megaphone, exciting everything it hits. You will have a constant headache, and be a magnet to the cops, and you're wife will kindly decline a second ride.
If you are bucks down you'd be better off with the cheapest dang 3-pass mufflers and proper tailpipes with turn-downs.
Your stroker will make so much torque that an H-pipe for street would kindof be redundant. Not so the X-pipe. But you can always install it at some other time.

I ran flowmasters originally on this car. They have great advertising...

I will never run them again.

You couldn't give me a pair. Take all that for whatever it's worth

Turn downs at the rear axle often result in fumes in the car, all the way out the back is a better choice imo

I like Flowmaster sound. I wouldn't pay that much, but I don't use stainless and just use universal fit. I've used a couple of sets on 440 with duals out the back and no x pipe with headers. I like it.

Bring the exhaust all the way out back..dumping it under the car will give you a headache and blow dirt all over the place..don't like flowmasters they sound the same on everything crappy!!!

My problem, is there is no room for tailpipes to come over the rear. Mini tubbed, Dana 60, and leaf springs relocated.

xDHRAMLeCIK-qjKy4LEv9BpDrR3-fYgb_lX0DCv4mR9lCpbf4liU5wKuz9dSlVhHU1d9o8XG1Zgj7C6yv9I=w480-h640-no.jpg

Go to a different fuel tank? Not likely ! Maybe your route. I like it better than exhaust out in front of the tires.

My problem, is there is no room for tailpipes to come over the rear. Mini tubbed, Dana 60, and leaf springs relocated.

There is room. There are multiple ways to accomplish this task.

10685553_10204960777048563_439296892838861523_n.jpg

20150430_150936.jpg

I had flowmasters and before-axle turndowns on my old 72 Duster. Don't let the other scare you- they were fine. That price on the other-hand... Ouch!

NOTE: They say "AGGRESSIVE SOUND" and when they say it, you can bet it truly is.

There are same side in and out mufflers on the market. (AAR style)
Or run a shorter pipe off the header and use a 90* bend out the side.
(You can cut a "U" shape pipe in half.)

When I was a kid, on this one car I owned,I ran my TPs under the axle, with a couple of inches clearance. The car was very low, and no one noticed. The suspension never moved far enough to tear the mounts off, and they weren't actually low enough to snag on anything. The oilpan was still lower.
With 28s you can still have 6 or 7 inches to the ground with 2.5 or even 3 inch pipes. My oilpan is currently about 5 to 5.5 above the pavement, and it rarely touches anything. I put a skidplate under it just in case. If I had to, I would run them underneath again. IMO,anything is better than ending before the axle and with turndowns.
The AAR side exit seems good.
Besides anyone who sees them won't forget "that car" again.

I ran flowmasters originally on this car. They have great advertising...

I will never run them again.

You couldn't give me a pair. Take all that for whatever it's worth
agree w/ rocodart-----------. I build my own mufflers, so to speak. w/ turndowns downs right before the rear axle, I have neither drone or extreme loudness, or fumes in the car that I`ve noticed yet. they are full 3 1/2" all the way.

You and I have had this conversation in the past and correct me if I'm wrong but did you mention you had problems with the pipes rubbing?

It also looks like you have a modded gas tank?

The gas tank is a factory replica made from aluminum from hot rod city garage.

Depending on ride height I have had contact issues. With my new leaf springs which are UOS (used old stock, lol) 340 duster springs I do not have this issue.

ending before the axle and with turndowns.
The AAR side exit seems good.
Besides anyone who sees them won't forget "that car" again.

Here is 3.5" to and X-pipe, 3" from X-pipe to AAR mufflers, 3" oval out of the mufflers.

00F0F_gJMaPqYfZVV_600x450.jpg

923146_10201040519524575_1737147150_n.jpg

600884_10201040518484549_997686560_n.jpg

Had I not been as ignorant when I built this car I could have tucked the pipes much closer to the body but common sense wasn't all there.

-
Back