Are They Magnum Heads????

-

blackace

The KING of flats
Reaction score
I went to the local u pull it over the weekend looking for a set of mangum heads. I came across a Jeep Wagoneer that had a 360 (5.9L) in it. One fo the valve covers were off and it looked like a magnum head. The only problem was that the manufactures date on the door jam was 4/89. If I remember correctly magnum heads didn't come out until 92 on 318's and in 93 on 360's. This was an 89 possibly a 90. I couldn't get the date off the radiator support becasue of the front end damage it had.

The rockers arms weren't shaft mounted they were of the pedistal type. Similar to these.

116_0401_318_5231_z.jpg

Were there earlier heads that looks similar to Mag heads? Unfortunately cameras are not allowed so I couldn't even take a picture. Is there a casting number I can look for?

Those in the pic are Magnum heads, 89 may have had a AMC 360 in it though.

I know those are magnum heads just using that as a reference picture. The rockers were similar to those. They were the pedistal type but I remember a cross type bar on them connecting the two rockers together but I am thinking instead of being on the bottom of the rocker like the mag heads they were on top. But who knows. LOL!! I could be having a brain fart.

I don't think it was an AMC 360 because they were done in 87 and this was an 89. Could they still be using AMC parts parts two years later?

I think I may go back again and sneak a camera in there an take a pic.

I found some pics on line with 89s with AMC motors in them. Did it have a distributor in it ? AMC would be in the front.

No the distributor was in the back where it should be. I would have noticed if it was in the front. One thing that really stood out was that intake bolts were vertical not angle like the older LA heads, which is another reason I am thinking that are Magnum heads. Or maybe the motor was replaced with a newer one after 92??

blackace said:
No the distributor was in the back where it should be. I would have noticed if it was in the front. One thing that really stood out was that intake bolts were vertical not angle like the older LA heads, which is another reason I am thinking that are Magnum heads. Or maybe the motor was replaced with a newer one after 92??

That would be my suspicion. Another think to check, magnum heads have 4 or 5 (can't remember) accessory on each end where the LA heads typically have 3 on pass side and 1 in drivers. <- is subject to be different based on year model

if it was the original motor, it will be an amc 360. the reason they are similar, is when chrysler bought AMC, they also got alot of Jeep engineers with it. the amc motor uses the same intake bolt design & pedastal rockers as the magnum engines. so the main question is this. is the top end of a magnum engine Dodge or Jeep?

It's Jeep. The AMC engineers were charged with the head redesign for the LA.

Interesting observation about the black and white picture. The engine has a flat tappet cam, all magnum engines and LA engines from the mid late 80's had roller cams. The valve springs on the head in the picture have constant diameter valve springs, magnum heads have beehive springs.

dgc333 said:
It's Jeep. The AMC engineers were charged with the head redesign for the LA.

Interesting observation about the black and white picture. The engine has a flat tappet cam, all magnum engines and LA engines from the mid late 80's had roller cams. The valve springs on the head in the picture have constant diameter valve springs, magnum heads have beehive springs.
i bet that photo is a swap onto an non-magnum block

mikedevore said:
i bet that photo is a swap onto an non-magnum block

Exactly!

but if the cross bars are on top of the pedestal then its definately AMC- they're the only ones that did it that way and I think some of the 60's Buicks?

Yup that is a non Magnum 318 with with the Magnum heads.

So would it be worth picking up those heads or should I keep looking?

Pick-n-Pull doesnt allow cameras? Thats odd...cant you stick one in your pocket? I know the one here in Modesto is pretty lazy when it comes to checking people. They just look at your box of tools or whatever and on your in. OT question but how do you tell so easy if its a flat tappet cam in that picture, by the way the lifters are?

Are 89 and 93 Cherokee doors the same? Could the door be a replacement that started it's life on an 89?

I'm pretty sure he went one way or the other and the shell has become 3 or 4 Hyundais by now. :wink:

RPMLegends18 OT question but how do you tell so easy if its a flat tappet cam in that picture, by the way the lifters are?
You can see the where the lifters touch the cam-no roller ,Also roller cam lifters would have a link conecting each cylinders lifters so they don't turn keeping the roller going the right direction on the face of each cam lobe . :read2:

Oh I see now. And then there are two types of flat tappet cams then?...hydraulic (like mine) and mechanical? Cams are one thing I have never really understood. I talk to my buddies and they just rant on and on about cam specs. I have no idea

Beware of magnum heads as most are cracked between the seats even if the engine runs right. I wouldn't touch used magnum heads unless they were real low mileage. Plus the cost to rebuild any set of heads is as much as a brand new set of Engine Quest magnum heads and they flow better.

-
Back