Are you a respected member?

-
There's so many amazing responses in this thread I'm hard pressed to come up with my own without mirroring someone else's almost word-for-word.

Though the reasons we enjoy FABO are different for everyone, the common denominator that brought us all together in the first place was our love for the cars and the need to learn and/or share what we've already learned with others. From there, we all discover the site to be much more than just some car forum ... it's a FAMILY. We care about each other, and that goes well beyond what's happening with that Dart or Demon in so-and-so's garage.

In the 6+ years I've been here, I've made lots of friends that have helped mold me as a person and (hopefully) made me a better individual because of it. I've had the opportunity to work with many of you and truly enjoy having a hand in your restoration efforts as you transform your car into your dream ride. I'd like to think I've been a respected member as we've gotten to know each other over the years ... but certain events a few months ago with a then-newbie have honestly given me pause and made me quite a bit more subdued than I really am, and now I'm not quite so sure anymore. Even though it's been awhile, that stuff cut me to the bone and thinking about it still makes me upset. I realize my self-confidence comes from within rather than without but a few sentences posted on a profile Visitors' Comment took more of a toll than I really like to admit.

Respect for my fellow members hasn't changed as a result but, just as before, it still has to be earned rather than automatically given. Post count and registration dates have nothing to do with it; if you deserve respect you receive it.

It goes without saying Leanna that you've earned the respect of most of the FABO members and the few remaining members that want to bad mouth ya I say "SCREW EM AND THE HORSE THEY ROAD IN ON". You've made your "bones" Leanna and from what I've seen you've got nothing to apologize for except maybe not mailing me that precious little leg garter you were modeling in your latest photo.:toothy8::love5:

Three things to remember, 1/ You'll never make 100% of the people happy 100% of the time, 2/ There are assholes everywhere out there and they're allowed to make babies and 3/ Everyone makes mistakes. What seperates the morons from the true professionals is that the later learn by their mistakes and don't repeat them.

It goes without saying Leanna that you've earned the respect of most of the FABO members and the few remaining members that want to bad mouth ya I say "SCREW EM AND THE HORSE THEY ROAD IN ON". You've made your "bones" Leanna and from what I've seen you've got nothing to apologize for except maybe not mailing me that precious little leg garter you were modeling in your latest photo.:toothy8::love5:

Three things to remember, 1/ You'll never make 100% of the people happy 100% of the time, 2/ There are assholes everywhere out there and they're allowed to make babies and 3/ Everyone makes mistakes. What seperates the morons from the true professionals is that the later learn by their mistakes and don't repeat them.

I couldn't have said it better myself Demonsed I mean this in regards to your entire post.

Leanna, you ARE a true professional in every sense of the word.

As to whether or not I'm a respected member can only be answered by those other than myself. The OP's question seems to ask what what others may think and only they can really answer that and I'm sure those answers may vary.

I dont concern myself with thinking about all that. I tend to go LONG periods of time without making any post- so my actual post stats are probably pretty low. I just like the website for what it. It's great for being a resource for finding parts I need or new owners for stuff I no longer need.

I've learned a bunch from the RACERS forum, sometimes I just lurk around and read to soak up some knowledge.

Never thought about it....... and really ain't gonna'.... I read a ton in certain parts, don't post a bunch, and sometimes get poopy..... All in all I respect everyone here, even the ones I really don't care for, which actually is only one, he got banned for constantly bashing 318's and being a rude little nerd....

I love all you guys! Sniff sniff.......

And don't have time in my short little life to worry if I am a respected member here!

I am just a new guy here and having a great time.wish i had known about fabo years ago haven't spent this much time on the computer ever. great people here. a wealth of information to be had here.

That pretty well covers the whole spectrum Terry. Well said. :)

eh,
ok, I saw this thread yesterday and it put me off a bit. but is as good a question as any.

Do I think I'm a respected/accepted member? not really
Do I care? yes and no.

everyone wants respect, I think because it makes them feel good. Yes I'm a newbe who's become a regular. As I said when I first joined the site, I'm not a car person. As someone wisely pointed out shortly thereafter, this is changing. Yes, I've a desire to fit in here a bit better than I feel I do. This is because I respect FABO and the good people who come here and make it great.

Sometimes I may have posted some silly things in an attempt to make connections. Some of these things could cause me to lose respect from the many conservative people who come here, this site has a good number of people from the bible belt. But whatever, its was in good fun and if it causes you to lose respect for me, well then it my mind, its more your problem then mine.

But I don't come to FABO to be respected/accepted. FABO is many things to many people, it is not a place to be respected for me, yet. Not everyone comes here because they have a passion for these cars, but the passion people bring is addictive. I come to FABO to learn, get help and have fun. I often wish I did not have to come for help as much as I do and I'm reading, studying and preparing to purchase another car in an attempt to remedy this. Honestly if I grew up with cars and saw someone posting what I post I may have little respect for them. Thankfully there are people on FABO who are better than me. In swallowing my pride and asking the questions I've asked I've learnt a lot and am learning a lot. The blow to my silly pride and loss of self-respect that this has caused has often been replaced by the self-respect I've gained by being able to work on my car. Sometimes the information I receive is too much and I find myself asking questions that I've already received answers to. But I'm learning, I'm sure I can learn, and I'm determined to learn.

Part of the greatness of FABO is that you can (enjoy the site/benefit from the site) without fitting in/being respected. I REALLY REALLY REALLY respect those I see helping others, even if your politics are wacked IMO and you may occasionally be rude to others, SS. There are two members on here that have helped me repeatedly, even if talking to me in student teacher format, which is fine because I'm learning, and I cant thank them enough. The only thing I can try and do to repay the help and knowledge and enjoyment I've received here on FABO is to try to pass it on and make FABO a better place. Respect me or not, i respect FABO and really don't feel real disdain for any member here. I'm here, don't plan on leaving, and feel sure I will earn a good bit of respect in the end. Because as many people on here are, I know I too am a good person and am willing to help where I can.

a regular newbe's opinion,
peace

p.s. sorry for the long post, I think you like them short :p

Probably not anymore.

Pete, in my book you're one of the Top Dogs here. Don't ever change. Your actions in Galveston a couple years back were enough to win me over and you've never done anything to change my opinion of you.

And 1969DodgeDartGT ... that was one of the most awesome responses to a thread I think I've ever read. No apologies necessary for a long post (I'm known to write a couple of those myself occasionally LMAO) because your honesty is so apparent and your points were so eloquently made. It's an honor to be associated with you here on the board.

well, im here to get help, im here to give help (if i am able to), and i enjoy the time i spend on FABO. I have met a few members in person and they were all awesome people. and there are many members i havent met, who are awesome too! lol i have never had a problem with anyone. :)

eh,
ok, I saw this thread yesterday and it put me off a bit. but is as good a question as any.

Do I think I'm a respected/accepted member? not really
Do I care? yes and no.

everyone wants respect, I think because it makes them feel good. Yes I'm a newbe who's become a regular. As I said when I first joined the site, I'm not a car person. As someone wisely pointed out shortly thereafter, this is changing. Yes, I've a desire to fit in here a bit better than I feel I do. This is because I respect FABO and the good people who come here and make it great.

Sometimes I may have posted some silly things in an attempt to make connections. Some of these things could cause me to lose respect from the many conservative people who come here, this site has a good number of people from the bible belt. But whatever, its was in good fun and if it causes you to lose respect for me, well then it my mind, its more your problem then mine.

But I don't come to FABO to be respected/accepted. FABO is many things to many people, it is not a place to be respected for me, yet. Not everyone comes here because they have a passion for these cars, but the passion people bring is addictive. I come to FABO to learn, get help and have fun. I often wish I did not have to come for help as much as I do and I'm reading, studying and preparing to purchase another car in an attempt to remedy this. Honestly if I grew up with cars and saw someone posting what I post I may have little respect for them. Thankfully there are people on FABO who are better than me. In swallowing my pride and asking the questions I've asked I've learnt a lot and am learning a lot. The blow to my silly pride and loss of self-respect that this has caused has often been replaced by the self-respect I've gained by being able to work on my car. Sometimes the information I receive is too much and I find myself asking questions that I've already received answers to. But I'm learning, I'm sure I can learn, and I'm determined to learn.

Part of the greatness of FABO is that you can (enjoy the site/benefit from the site) without fitting in/being respected. I REALLY REALLY REALLY respect those I see helping others, even if your politics are wacked IMO and you may occasionally be rude to others, SS. There are two members on here that have helped me repeatedly, even if talking to me in student teacher format, which is fine because I'm learning, and I cant thank them enough. The only thing I can try and do to repay the help and knowledge and enjoyment I've received here on FABO is to try to pass it on and make FABO a better place. Respect me or not, i respect FABO and really don't feel real disdain for any member here. I'm here, don't plan on leaving, and feel sure I will earn a good bit of respect in the end. Because as many people on here are, I know I too am a good person and am willing to help where I can.

a regular newbe's opinion,
peace

p.s. sorry for the long post, I think you like them short :p

Very good post 1969.
I'm one of those conservatives your talking about. We may not agree on political stuff, but that doesn't mean either of us are bad people, just one or both of us are misguided. hehehe

As far as the point of respected members. I think most on this board are respected by everybody on the board. There are some characters for sure, but they just make it interesting.

I have lots more that I could say, but most of it has been said already by others.

Jack

Bottom line for me is.....
I'm here because i want to be here, i hope i help people in the best way i know how.
If i don't know anything about the subject or am unclear, i pass on responding.
I am on here at least 1 hour per day, and i enjoy it here, it's like we're family....arguments and all!
I have a deep seeded love for these cars and i am proud to be a member of this community.
I do get p.o.'d once in awhile, but i usually bite my tongue. (it ain't easy sometimes)
I like to think that i am an accepted member here, i do my best.
As for newbies, i don't care as long as they contribute in a good way and aren't a-holes.
Post count doesn't equal respect.
I am here to learn and to help others as well as to have a few laughs!
Accept me or not, i am here to stay. Muuuuhahahaha!
i'm sure we all got along with everyone in high school too! as for the young guns my dad taught me all i know when i was young so i really don't have anything bad to say. i guess you get as much respect in here as you do anywhere else lol!

And 1969DodgeDartGT ... that was one of the most awesome responses to a thread I think I've ever read. No apologies necessary for a long post (I'm known to write a couple of those myself occasionally LMAO) because your honesty is so apparent and your points were so eloquently made. It's an honor to be associated with you here on the board.

Thank you

to make sure I'm clear; I've never felt like I've been disrespected here which is great, and its awesome that most everyone seems to be respected and respectful in that way.
:cheers:

Respect? I'm not in here fore respect. I have ?'s at times; my geezer butt answers ?'s on this old iron at times. Period. Now, if some one tells me f.. off, or goes out in the ozone, then I just don't answer/adress their problem....

Hi, I play with cars.

This is the internet, half of you could be cross dressing hermaphrodites trying to scam me out of my Poprocks and Diet Rockstars.

I bet the other half of you are cool, though.

-
Back