Are you a respected member?

-
i try to help all in anyway i can, and dont care if im famous or respected, that we can prove on the track or the show field........or it comes down to it in the school yard. All a million posts mean to me is you need to get back to work!
x2 Some people see the work that other people do and are amazed some wouldn,t give two craps about it.I am on hear to give advise and get advise.you have all kinds of people on hear with all kinds expertise.That is a real good thing when building a car.I like the critics on hear,It just sharpen my skills.To the computers gurus there is way more info on mopars then just whats on the computers.There is us old guys that kept things in are heads and work with people that are older then us that kept alot of things in there heads.I know bill Jenkins very well my brother worked for him for 20 years.He is sick and recovery Could you imagine the knowledge that was never put on paper.. Mark

Doesn't matter to me one way or the other. There are some who show no one respect. Gonna be bullies in every crowd.

Don't assume someone doesn't know anything about Mopars just 'cause they have a low post count. ;)

I don't post very often, since I know I'm not an expert by any means on A bodies. But, I do read probably 50% of the posts on here, just trying to soak up knowledge. I only post when I have questions, which is often, or see something on craigslist that might be of interest to someone, or just have a not so witty comment that I can't resist posting.

I'm constantly amazed at not only the amount of knowledge on here, but the depth of it. I belong to a couple of other forums, such as thirdgen.org for camaro questions, and the 67-72 chevy trucks forum for my truck build that I'll get to someday when the boys are off to college, and I have to say, this is the most informative, enlightening, and entertaining one I've seen.

Anyways, just my nickel's worth. Not looking for respect here since I'm not a professional mechanic, just a guy that loves working on and building unique cars from a simpler time.

I have allot to be thankful for :icon_smi:
my wife and family are thankful that I have a place to go
and read and see things that puts a smile in my hart
and makes me feel like I am a part of something that is good :love3:
I get many pm's from new members asking how to do something
to there car or engine and I refer them to a thread :thumrigh:
yall have posted
and add it to my reply and explain that I am not a great tech here.
I am having the time of my life here :color:
some times it takes more then just a cup of coffee
to get me going first thing in the morning :study:
and this site has what I need to make me feel like I am some one other than just an ol fart on a hill here in Arkansas :happy2:.
I do have a life :)and I share it here, as you can see by my post count.
I do things a little deferent as you can see in my restoration thread.
I get all exited when I can help with a question and say:hello2:
It makes me feel like I am doing my part trying to give as much as I have received here.
I have talked to many of you on the phone and have met well over 25 members here.
FABO is a word all my family and friends use :D
And they are proud of my reading and typing skills
That I have acquired because of the great friends and members I have here that motivate me to keep on keeping on.
I could fill a book as big as the bible with all the things I have learned and seen here.
I have the utmost respect for all the young guns here and I learn from them and there skills and responses and questions they ask 8-)
I came here to learn more about the early a body cars and I have came away learning more then I could have ever imagined I would
Seeing the world through the pictures and stories of the world I have never seen to how people live in different parts of the country.
Where do I pay for all the schooling I have got here :color:
I was Talking to Bill yesterday and reflecting on all the things that has happened to me here.
The places I have drove to and enjoyed and the folks I have met and enjoyed things that I would not have had the opportunity to if it was not for this computer and looking for parts for a 63 Valiant I had.
The day I learned how to use a computer was the day I came here :study:
Yall are stuck with me.. and I respect all of you and look over the days any of us can have, bad days are bad days.
But just being rude and unsupported responses to a question is the first step to turn me into a monster when I see it happen :angry7:
and it don't happen much. :D

I hope I did did not over do this post DusterDude72, But it's just me memike.

I come here for the great knowledge available, and some of the great personalities that entertain me better than a good reality show. Sometimes there is too much drama for my liking. I'm not a Mopar intellect, and I guess I don't have alot to give techcically to the site, but try to be helpful when I can. I don't want to be better than anybody but not stepped on either. Personally I don't like labels, whether I'm respected or not is up to whatever friends I make. I'm not here for my ego. My 2 cents . . . .

I don't really know what garners respect...I mean, I cannot put into words. But I know what I do NOT respect. "Pull that slant OUT...", "Pull that 318 out and put a 360 in it...." Those two statements really piss me off.

How you interact with others and show respect to others git's you a feather in your cap,MeMike can build a 747 with all the feathers he's got in his cap :angel11:

I was just sitting here thinking about how some of the "new comers" almost seems to sit in the shadows for awhile and sometimes come off as not knowing much about the hobby or some of us who have been here awhile almost talk to them in a different way (in a teacher student kind of way).

I also notice that many of the "new comers" that I have seen arrive here at fabo in the past are now among the "regulars" here.

what I wonder is......where is the transition point? what turns a "newbie" into a "regular" ? , And what turns a "regular" into a "respected member"? , And what turns a "respected member" into a somewhat "famous member"? (eh hmmm cough MEMIKE cough cough ) lol.

just bored and was thinking about that and figured I would see what you guys thought about it and what you think makes members transition (status wise)

examples.... post count? , good dealings and feed back ? , super friendly ? , very helpful ? , car **** picture taker/shower? HAHA, length of membership?, Age of member?

LOL!
I respect every member here on FABO,
untill they make my ignore list!:wink:

Im new here and my post count isnt that high...........It regards to not knowing a awfull alot about Cars. I try and help out in any way i can even if its non auto related. Anything orthopedic wise is a specialtty for me. Some mechanical questions i can answer but not alot. I dont feel like im a big asset here but thats not why i joined. I got on here to get help, advice and meet some great people. In saying that i have............This is a great forum and sure it has a few bumps(Bitching) but all and all i find it awsome. Something alot of people have in common and similar passion. As for selling parts...I have and i guess i could have gotten more money for certain items but ..........Im here to help. As for others selling stuff that may seem to much............SO........Dont buy it..........Thanks JM2C

Alot depends on how your treated when you first join. The more comfortable you become, the more input you have. People here don't treat you like a dumb *** because you ask a smple question that they might know and you don't. There is a wide scale of knowlege on this site and its good to see it shared with out sourcasmn. I wouldn't want to think that someone walked away from this site because they felt slitted. I think this is what sets MOPAR apart from others. We are a different breed, unlike Chey who fight amongst them selves for braging rights. We all appreiciate each others builds even if we wouldn't have it for ourselves.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AdQZiiOlN8&playnext=1&list=PL9964CC3389AC066F"]YouTube - Madea vs Dr Phil -- Anger Management [plus bloopers!][/ame]

I'm pretty sure im not a respected member, because I am new haha BUT I do have alot of respect for members that are really helpful, I am here to learn and if I can help others. I dont think posts should or could count because it may not be the context of the post that gives respect a one word post isnt really helpful and there for seems short and like they dont have time for you, but someone who will be really helpful and give you there opinion and their time to give a good answer seems to be more respected, anyways Im thankful for being included! see ya guys around!

I think what seperates FABO from other sites & creates an atmosphere of respect for everyone are the mods. They show great leadership by nipping disrespect in the bud for the most part & let the content of the forum which is awsome win out over the BS. We all have issues from time to time like any family but personally think everyone is respected here until some seal their own fate with RABS. ( repetitive ahole behavior syndrome )

Oldschoolcuda

I think what seperates FABO from other sites & creates an atmosphere of respect for everyone are the mods. They show great leadership by nipping disrespect in the bud for the most part & let the content of the forum which is awsome win out over the BS. We all have issues from time to time like any family but personally think everyone is respected here until some seal their own fate with RABS. ( repetitive ahole behavior syndrome )

Oldschoolcuda
Thats X2.............LMAO

I instantly repected those who were on here before me. NONE of them have ever lost my respect.
I instantly respect those who joined here after me.
NONE of them have ever lost my respect.

I have had many disagreements with members here, but we have always had one passion in common to fuel the fire. Our love of Mopars, and this site.

I was just sitting here thinking about how some of the "new comers" almost seems to sit in the shadows for awhile and sometimes come off as not knowing much about the hobby or some of us who have been here awhile almost talk to them in a different way (in a teacher student kind of way).

I also notice that many of the "new comers" that I have seen arrive here at fabo in the past are now among the "regulars" here.

what I wonder is......where is the transition point? what turns a "newbie" into a "regular" ? , And what turns a "regular" into a "respected member"? , And what turns a "respected member" into a somewhat "famous member"? (eh hmmm cough MEMIKE cough cough ) lol.

just bored and was thinking about that and figured I would see what you guys thought about it and what you think makes members transition (status wise)

examples.... post count? , good dealings and feed back ? , super friendly ? , very helpful ? , car **** picture taker/shower? HAHA, length of membership?, Age of member?

TO answer your multi level question with my 2 centavos

1. I really do not think POST COUNT affords you anything beyond an ever increasing number.
2. I think people get ANSWERED based on how they ask the question. IF you ask the question like a student you get an answer from the teacher. I don't think it matters much if you are NEW or OLD or young or old...its more about how YOU ask and sometimes WHAT you ask....like the one guy engaged in a full restoration that absolutely could not figure out how to get his headlight knob off.... he got talked to like a student IMHO and for pretty good reason.
3. I think the "transition point" is like ANY other social transition point....if you are the "NEW KID" you kinda stay the NEW kid until you have been around for a while and people kinda start to like you and sometimes respect what you say and how you say it..... kinda like ANY OTHER social gathering....no big secret....no special sauce..... just the more you interact, the more you get interacted with...... and respect OR disrespect comes with that based on how you interact.
4. I have met and interacted with a boatload of people here....I have disagreed with people here....I have RETURNED FIRE with people here....I have learned from people here and HOPEFULLY they have learned from me..... the funny thing about this part of your question is.....I have ZERO IDEA who is a "regular" vs Who is "RESPECTED" on a generic or carte blanche basis...... I have not seen any "given" titles other than Administrator OR GOLD MEMBER or SENIOR member and I don't really see anyone FAMOUS or INFAMOUS so maybe you are placing too much value in the opinions or words of others....because really your post is the first I have heard of such things and I have been here since 2005.

5. I don't think age means anything, but all the rest of the stuff you mentioned I think does...good deals, FAIR, nice person, plays well with others...helpful....honest....follow-thru....walkin like yer talkin, decent car **** always helps as does taking a shower but typically on the internet, taking a shower is not so important.....decent grammar and spelling HELPS quite a bit....and can hold your own...kinda like any other social gathering

IN SHORT ya build your OWN REP and ya maintain it yourself...kinda like everywhere else in life
my 2 cents

Respected, I don't really know. As one of the young guns maybe but otherwise, probably not. Most of the time I'm just here. lol

famous,regular and respected are just words I used from the top of my head.....others may refer to them differently but the general point I was trying to make as in there being different levels of acceptance I think got across to most of you.

I agree that most times people are given the answers they deserve ,like you said....the guy who wants to take on an entire resto but only knows very little...may be talked to in a somewhat student teacher type of way to give them a reality check that its not a breeze job to do and so on.

HOWEVER ....I have seen from time to time (some of these people have been banned but some are still here) like to criticize , be rude and obnoxious.

like has been mentioned before when someone wants to build a slant 6 and someone pipes up saying its junk and to put a 360 in .....theres no need for that.

or when an older person talks of knowing more than a younger person or when a younger person claims of doing a job in half the time of an older person.

or when someone is selling a vehicle and someone bash's the persons add or offers up the same thing for sale in that same thread and basically ruins that persons sale.

lots of variations of good and bad things some folks on here have done in the passed.

all in all, fabo rocks.....I just got bored and figured I would post up my thoughts and made this thread but I didnt think so many people were going to have in depth insight on the subject......good to see everyone's thoughts on it.

Agree w/66,...But, First and foremost,I'm here for the cars,...Been looking for my car for years(literally),...been a wrench forever. Had no idea this site even existed until I got the Spacer home and started lookin for VIN info,... I try to learn something everyday, so sometimes I just hang and watch with my books all laid out on the desk...If I can give back 1% of what I've gleaned here, Its a good day,....I guess I'm a semi regular,...hope to be respected...

-
Back