Arizona Swinger

-
Getting the floor prepped for the four speed 'hump' installation. Also some pictures of some of the components that will be used for the manual trans. install.
still blocking the body.....so no color sprayed as yet. Spent some time working on the front and rear valances and have them about ready. It seems that getting back into the 'dating scene' in your 60's tends to take quite a bit of energy.....so there's a lot less of that when it comes to working on sheet metal! Ben.

Attachments

• 70 dart standard trans. 001 (Small).jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 710
  • 70 dart standard trans. 011 (Small).jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 704
  • 70 dart standard trans. 010 (Small).jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 699
  • 70 dart standard trans. 009 (Small).jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 710
  • 70 dart standard trans. 008 (Small).jpg
    51 KB · Views: 707
  • 70 dart standard trans. 007 (Small).jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 696
  • 70 dart standard trans. 006 (Small).jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 710
  • 70 dart standard trans. 004 (Small).jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 698
  • 70 dart standard trans. 003 (Small).jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 706
  • 70 dart standard trans. 002 (Small).jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 710
......a few more manual transmission parts pics.

Attachments

• 70 dart standard trans. 015 (Small).jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 700
  • 70 dart standard trans. 014 (Small).jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 699
  • 70 dart standard trans. 013 (Small).jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 691
  • 70 dart standard trans. 012 (Small).jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 692
Getting married, setting up a new house and trying to blend in new sons, daughter and grand children takes more time and energy than I originally supposed! But the wife is a Mopar lover from way back, (a new 70 Road Runner with a 4 speed!), and is looking forward to driving the Dart with its' green paint, which happens to have been the color of that 70 RR! Nothing like having a spouse who is excited about automotive projects and wants to both cruise and show the car with me!

A few pictures of the latest work done to the car....nothing fancy, just a lot of body and primer work. Hoping to have the F8 color on the roof next week, and maybe even some F4 in the jambs, trunk and under hood areas. We'll have to see! Ben.

Attachments

• 70 Dart Swinger 015 (Small).jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 597
  • 70 Dart Swinger 014 (Small).jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 625
  • 70 Dart Swinger 013 (Small).jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 609
  • 70 Dart Swinger 012 (Small).jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 597
  • 70 Dart Swinger 011 (Small).jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 607
  • 70 Dart Swinger 010 (Small).jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 598
  • 70 Dart Swinger 009 (Small).jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 609
  • 70 Dart Swinger 008 (Small).jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 608
  • 70 Dart Swinger 007 (Small).jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 611
I'd like to pose a question to our resident intellects concerning some trim features on my 70 Dart Swinger 340.

This car came with the V02 two tone paint....F8 roof and F4 main body.

I noticed when I purchased the vehicle that it did not have any drip rail moldings, but did have the vinyl top moldings and the V5X body side chrome trim with rubber inserts, and M43 grille surround moldings.

My question is: should this car have wheel opening moldings or rocker panel moldings? None of the info on the data tag reflects either of those. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks, Ben.

you could always check the lip of your fenders and qtrs in the wheel openings for screw holes. i've never seen rocker moulding on a 70 dart before so im not sure on that. but yours should have the drip rail mouldings mine does and mine is the oppisite of your F4 top with F8 bottom VO2 car

I also have a 70 Swinger 340 V02 car. It is an FT6 dark tan with a EW1 white top. It also does not have drip rail moldings or the code on the fender tag for them. It does have M25 wide sill moldings, M26 wheel lip moldings, M43 grille surround molding, V8W white tail stripe. I hope this helps, i also have the same question on the V02 and the drip rail moldings. My car is almost ready for paint.

you could always check the lip of your fenders and qtrs in the wheel openings for screw holes. i've never seen rocker moulding on a 70 dart before so im not sure on that. but yours should have the drip rail mouldings mine does and mine is the oppisite of your F4 top with F8 bottom VO2 car
thanks for the help.....like a lot of parts on this car there are a lot of things attached to it that don't seem to belong there! 6cyl. radiator, different color fenders, extensions, etc. Seems it was put together from several different sources to make it look somewhat complete to sell!

I also have a 70 Swinger 340 V02 car. It is an FT6 dark tan with a EW1 white top. It also does not have drip rail moldings or the code on the fender tag for them. It does have M25 wide sill moldings, M26 wheel lip moldings, M43 grille surround molding, V8W white tail stripe. I hope this helps, i also have the same question on the V02 and the drip rail moldings. My car is almost ready for paint.

thanks for the help! I don't have M26 or M25 on my data tag, so I would assume the car didn't originally come with the rocker or w/o moldings. I thought maybe since the car had the body side moldings, the w/o moldings might have been included in the side molding package?

the drip rails look like they had original paint on them, with no signs of any moldings having been removed somewhere along the line, so I would assume they weren't there originally.

my drip rails had paint on them aswell but the chrome moulding there helps tie in the vynil top or VO2 trim

thanks for the help! I don't have M26 or M25 on my data tag, so I would assume the car didn't originally come with the rocker or w/o moldings. I thought maybe since the car had the body side moldings, the w/o moldings might have been included in the side molding package?

the drip rails look like they had original paint on them, with no signs of any moldings having been removed somewhere along the line, so I would assume they weren't there originally.
Well i would say wheel opening moldings may be part of some package (like my 69 swinger 340 A05 protection group and A46 decor group, it had side molding and stripe delete.) but sometimes its tough to find whats all included in those packages. I would also say its possible for the V02 cars to be built without drip rail moldings, but i doubt that a vinyl top car would be built without them. Looking at both fender tags from my 69 and 70, there are some codes listed and others not. I do have the build sheet for my 69 but not the 70 and they are very different

Well i would say wheel opening moldings may be part of some package (like my 69 swinger 340 A05 protection group and A46 decor group, it had side molding and stripe delete.) but sometimes its tough to find whats all included in those packages. I would also say its possible for the V02 cars to be built without drip rail moldings, but i doubt that a vinyl top car would be built without them. Looking at both fender tags from my 69 and 70, there are some codes listed and others not. I do have the build sheet for my 69 but not the 70 and they are very different

thanks for the tip.....didn't even think about the build sheets!! Have three of them! Between the three was able to decipher 'no wheel opening moldings' or 'drip rail moldings'! Thanks, Ben.

Nice! My 70 was a repaint before i got it, but after stripping the car down for paint, i found origional "white" paint under the side window rubber moldings. So i would say that the drip rails are the color of the top!

Question of the day!!

On a 70 Swinger 2 door with painted drip rails and two tone paint......what color do the drip rails get painted? The roof color or the main body color, or are they two tone as well, with the roof color going on the rail up to the 'A' pillar, and the main body color on the 'A' pillar part of the rail? I wasn't able to tell from the original paint on the car, or at my age I couldn't remember what the colors were two years ago! Ben.

To the best of my knowledge, all vinyl top cars had drip rail moldings. Basically to hold down and hide the edges of the vinyl.. As for painted tops, I have no clue.. I have never seen one without drip rail mouldings, so I just assumed all Darts had them...

Question of the day!!

On a 70 Swinger 2 door with painted drip rails and two tone paint......what color do the drip rails get painted? The roof color or the main body color, or are they two tone as well, with the roof color going on the rail up to the 'A' pillar, and the main body color on the 'A' pillar part of the rail? I wasn't able to tell from the original paint on the car, or at my age I couldn't remember what the colors were two years ago! Ben.
The drip rails are the color of the top. The front windshield pillars and rails are body color. I have pics of my 70 i took after i stripped it down and will post them if you need.

The drip rails are the color of the top. The front windshield pillars and rails are body color. I have pics of my 70 i took after i stripped it down and will post them if you need.

If you could post a picture, I would appreciate it! Thanks, Ben.

Here ya go

Attachments

• 026.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 507
  • 023.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 508
  • 020.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 525
  • 019.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 518
Picked up the engine this morning!! Only took 20 months! But neither one of us was in a hurry and it won't be installed for a bit as the rest of the car is undergoing paint work. Still need to pull out the front and rear suspensions for painting and new parts.....sure must have been a trip to watch one of these cars put together originally in less than a day!

What are the thoughts about painting the six pack intake manifold the Hemi orange color or should I leave it natural? Am going to install a pair of polished 'Mopar Performance' valve covers and cast gray stock manifolds.

Attachments

• 340 dart engine--05-24-12 004 (Small).jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 499
  • 340 dart engine--05-24-12 003 (Small).jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 479
  • 340 dart engine--05-24-12 002 (Small).jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 473
  • 340 dart engine--05-24-12 001 (Small).jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 485
A few shots of the progress on the Dart this week......should be able to spray the jambs, trunk and engine compartment this next week! Maybe even the F8 top as well! Off day Monday will be spent painting, detailing and installing parts on the engine preparing it for installation! Ben.

Attachments

• dart swinger 5-26-12 009 (Small).jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 436
  • dart swinger 5-26-12 008 (Small).jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 469
  • dart swinger 5-26-12 007 (Small).jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 450
  • dart swinger 5-26-12 006 (Small).jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 456
  • dart swinger 5-26-12 005 (Small).jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 448
  • dart swinger 5-26-12 004 (Small).jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 457
  • dart swinger 5-26-12 003 (Small).jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 464
  • dart swinger 5-26-12 002 (Small).jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 449
  • dart swinger 5-26-12 001 (Small).jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 464
With the wife working on Memorial day, I had some free time away from the house to work on the 340 engine. Was able to get some painting and partial assembly done. Still need to detail the exhaust manifolds....another little project still to be done. Got the six pack air cleaner in today.....just need the extra money to buy those Holley carburetors! Still looking for those bellhousing and starter dust shields for the manual trans! Any loose ones out there for sale? Ben.

Attachments

• dart swinger--05-29-12 and cemetery 007 (Small).jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 439
  • dart swinger--05-29-12 and cemetery 006 (Small).jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 435
  • dart swinger--05-29-12 and cemetery 005 (Small).jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 448
  • dart swinger--05-29-12 and cemetery 004 (Small).jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 448
.....a couple more engine shots and some shots of trunk area having the seams cleaned out and resealed. Also a couple of shots of the undercoating on the inside of the quarters in the trunk being removed. We'll replace it with a product called 'body schutz', which will also be used on the underneath of the car, as well as the wheel wells, and inside floor areas. Very tough, long lasting material, that not only sound deadens, but dries to a very hard, sealed surface. It does not retain moisture like rubberized undercoating will do when it breaks down. Ben.

Attachments

• dart swinger--05-29-12 and cemetery 008 (Small).jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 412
  • dart swinger--05-29-12 and cemetery 009 (Small).jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 418
  • dart swinger--05-29-12 and cemetery 010 (Small).jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 406
  • dart swinger--05-29-12 and cemetery 011 (Small).jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 407
  • dart swinger--05-29-12 and cemetery 012 (Small).jpg
    55 KB · Views: 433
  • dart swinger--05-29-12 and cemetery 013 (Small).jpg