ARP Main Studs & Bolts Detailed

-

djwhog

Reaction score
Well I contacted ARP and a few other companies that sell their bolts & studs and some that even make main caps for Small blocks, B, RB & Hemi engines. And I spoke with a few guys and shops in the past few days that build some very serious power. I was trying to get some sort of common ground IE opinion on the stud issues and concerns, and the problem with the #5 main cap and oil pump interference when using the ARP studs.

Bottom line, they all list one kit for A, B & RB mopar engines. They folks at ARP agreed that there should be a kit or 2 just for A blocks with studs, with and without a windage tray support and 6 point and 12 point head combos. Also I found some folks enven using the bolt only ARP kits are leaving the washers out. If ARP and others had as many options in terms of kits offered as the GM & Ford guys we would have no issues! I doubt that they will offer the kits w need. Sucks! Typical everybody seems to hate mopar and brush them aside attitude! I know I worked for 15 years at GM but always drive a Dodge! We get one starter water pump fits all they have 20+.

Some people use a bolt with studs, some leave out washers and all sorts of other ways to get around it. Not the best solution but will work. Why waste the money and have a weak link, do it the correct way I say. Got great feed back here on the site from many of you guys who have been there done that. Greatly appreciated guys!

Anyway, I have all the part numbers listed here and the required options we have to us. Also note, if you measure the stud in your engine and it depends on your brand and type of oil pump, HV or standard, you can get an ARP stud that will fit and with the washer and a 12 point hex nut. The 12 point hex nuts are smaller and give more room. You should be able to clear the pump without grinding it down or milling the cap.

:coffee2: My take is this: A big block stock puts out 500 ft lbs torque, I have built them for years with 600+ hp and 550+ ft lbs torque, never had a failure. Maybe I am lucky? But the same bolts are used in a small block. I have had a 273 spin over 8500 rpms for years never failed. Built 3 340-6 pack engines that dynoed 405 to 445 HP at the crank. Granted it makes way less torque than these 416 strokers. That being said it is probably a good idea, safetey measure in a stroker anything inch size to do studs or at least better bolts on the mains & rods or just better rods withthe bolts. In the old days I guess we just winged it, I have seen a lot of broken cranks, never a cap or a bolt failure except on blower and turbo motors and Nitro and fuel motors. Most times it is a crank or rod that blows. But now we have better options these days. So why not go for it?

Here are the results of days of questions and results with part numbers.

ARP Standard main bearing bolt kits for all A, B, & RB engines except HEMI's and some late model magnums
180 PSI bolt kit 140-5001
Part number of the bolts included in this kit if ordered seperate each are
part # HAR3.250-5

Stud kits all rated at 190K psi
140-5401 6 PT $81.96
140-5402 12 PT $77.32
140-5501 6 PT $86.96 with tray support

Note all kits use 190k PSI strength studs, and ARP makes a special bolt of the same stud strength. You will require 2 bolts of the 190k PSI kit for oil pump clearance and even load on the #5 main cap. These are low profile headed 12 point in design bolts that are the same strength as the studs.

Special low profile 190K psi bolts
Bolt Part # 6AR3.250-1L
per bolt from ARP $5.70 each without washer
WASHER part # 200-8513 $1.00 per washer

Torque values WITH LIGHT ARP MOLY LUBE
85 STD 180K PSI BOLT
95 HD 190K PSI BOLT special low profile bolt
90 STUD KITS 6 OR 12 POINT

180k psi bolts used as replacements from stock most likely will be Ok on line hone, but need to check clearances

190k psi bolts & or studs used as replacements from stock most likely will NOT be Ok and will required line hone of block from a decent shop, but you need to check clearances 1st after torqued to specs. And when you get it back! I have seen a lot of bad line hone jobs too.

djwhog said:
you need to check clearances 1st after torqued to specs. And when you get it back! I have seen a lot of bad line hone jobs too.

First, thanks Dave. Sometimes research is the easy part. I know I tend to "modify and ask questions later..."

The quote...I had issues with several blocks from a local "reputable" shop after they were line bored. But that's why one checks everything. A friend is repairing a high pwered small block, built by a very well know mopar shop out west. The decks were squared, but one is .010 shorter than the other side. Plus, needed oil mods were not done. This engine lives at 6500-7000rpm. so the bearings starved and toasted, and thats when they found the pistons hitting on one bank. Nice job guys....

Always check. always.

moper said:
First, thanks Dave. Sometimes research is the easy part. I know I tend to "modify and ask questions later..."

The quote...I had issues with several blocks from a local "reputable" shop after they were line bored. But that's why one checks everything. A friend is repairing a high pwered small block, built by a very well know mopar shop out west. The decks were squared, but one is .010 shorter than the other side. Plus, needed oil mods were not done. This engine lives at 6500-7000rpm. so the bearings starved and toasted, and thats when they found the pistons hitting on one bank. Nice job guys....

Always check. always.

Yep agree with you 100% Moper! I have had the same issues. We sent out a 383 a few years back that was not to bad but the customer wanted it line bored, got it back and it was worse than before.

So I think it is a good idea to double check everything. Especially as much as stuff cost these days huh? I have dozens more horor stories too, just like most of us do .. But I really am thank full to you and others on this topic. I am not that old, but from the old schol when we built everything from scratch. We had to. I just wish that with al the money, technology etc. a few ready to order kits with the correct parts were out there. ARP needs to get it corrected. The average Joe is gonna be lost. That is why I started the post last week before I learned all this. I knew something was wrong with the post I saw from some and the issues I ran into too. I have had the same issues with oil pans, even the companies making them do not know what works and does not. They take your money but no real support is offered..

PS I just want to build and drive them, not be a parts developer too. Seems these days you got know everythng about everything even to order a darn burger and the hamburger stand.. :wack:

"Seems these days you got know everythng about everything even to order a darn burger and the hamburger stand.. "

Try to only go where you see them being cooked..lol

Post 1 for the "Burger Tech" section...

Thanks for the info and all the part number you definetly put some time into the research but I must say this is nothing new with the stud that needs to be ground down to clearence the oil pump.......It has been done since the stud kits came out. When you are building something other than a stock motor thing will have to be modified. Those that replace the stud with a bolt to get around it are going to have major problems and should even be building a motor IMO. Just because "you" bought a "kit" doesn't mean it's gonna drop right it. If "your" motor is radical enough to need studs and "you" have to complain about notching and grinding for clearence maybe "you" shouldn't be building that motor.

Dusterb318 said:
Thanks for the info and all the part number you definetly put some time into the research but I must say this is nothing new with the stud that needs to be ground down to clearence the oil pump.......It has been done since the stud kits came out. When you are building something other than a stock motor thing will have to be modified. Those that replace the stud with a bolt to get around it are going to have major problems and should even be building a motor IMO. Just because "you" bought a "kit" doesn't mean it's gonna drop right it. If "your" motor is radical enough to need studs and "you" have to complain about notching and grinding for clearence maybe "you" shouldn't be building that motor.

I understand all you are saying and get your point.

But the issue is that all is needed is for ARP to supply the correct part IE studs to clear the pump And they have them in stock. You can get ford & chevy kits for each and every specific application. All I am saying is that a one kit fits all is not acceptable. And you know what I mean, us Mopar guys need to know more than the average wingnuts out there. If you call the wholsale house no one has a clue as soon as you say Mopar. But oh if it is a chevy well they got a guy that knows it.

Look I worked 17 years for GM and they have so many parts too screwed up as did Dodge when I worked for them in the 70s. As a tech you have to no more than the people putting the numbers togther right? Been there done that.

Just you think ARP could get their act toghter a little better for us. Other have similar issues with Eddy heads and ARP too.

thanks though! No harm no foul..

I agree with in if they have the parts already then yeah put them in the package for us. One reason I refuse to deal with Summit racing is their inept knowledge with Mopar....hell I was even offered a job with them just because I could speak Mopar.....I live 30min away from the Ohio warehouse so I used to go up there all the time......I am away of the ARP stud/Edelbrock head problem as well and it definetly needs to be addressed. Funny thing is ARP has 2 different P/N's for that application and to be honest I don't know the difference between the two other and hex or 12pt heads. I think this problem comes from them rushing a product to market to fill a gap and not doing complete research and the fact that there are more ford and chebbie motor built than mopars so the sales numbers vs complaint calls aren't there for them to make a tooling change....is it right? No...is it going to change? No.....cause we need good quality studs and ARP makes them and we'll ***** but we'll keep modifying them to fit.

Well on one set of the head bolts there are 2 necked down studs to allow better rocker shaft oiling. So others are OK with Hyd, but for solids you need this and should have it on most all combos.

thanks man!

That is why we have this forum so we can help each other.. :goodman:

Well the studs in both kits AREN'T necked down....I am running bolts now but for the next engine I am going to head studs and I know the studs aren't necked down for oiling and ARP and Edelbrock is aware of it but I haven't heard or seen what the fix was.

Duster, you can have your shop enlarge the hole in the head where that feed is. It doesnt take much. It looks like a ton of space, but the hole in the cam bearing is only about 3/16 in diameter. So about .020 wider than the stud diameter should be enough room for the oil to get by, and wont weaken the head at all.

It's funny. That oil pump/stud issue has ben around for over a year. I've heard from about 5 other people who were told by ARp "this is the first we've heard of it.." I love that line. No matter what tech line you call, you will always hear that. Now I have a standard response. "I'm sure. Can you transfer me to the guy that wrote the tech line personnel instruction notebook you are reading from please?"

Good tip there Moper.....When I send the head out to get ported i will have that done too. Ya know as easy as that sounds I can't believe I never thought about that....thanks again.

I believe the best points of stud vs. cap screws are being missed here. Lets review...........

Studs always give a truer torque value. Always. The treads are already engaged in the block/fixture.

Because of the 'truer' torque value, you get proper preload/stretch on the stud. Actually get better clamping at less torque applied.

Studs are much easier on the fixtures' threaded holes. Thereby multiplying the number of rebuilds/disassemblies it can take. Example: Everytime a capscrew is screwed into a block under stress (torque) some of the fixtures' material is worn away, thus curtailing the number of times it can be used.

This is all fact. It has been all labratory proven, and I see it ever day at work. I've taken most of the concerned courses. In industry 'bolt tentioning' theory is taken very seriously. I won't get into the uses of proper/different lubricants and washers on the capscrews/studs and torque values.

Why not let science work for you?

I got ARP Head studs and 6pt nuts. On a couple of the studs the nut fits down between the valve springs but I can’t get the socket down between the springs to torque the nuts. Any suggestions?
I have Brodix B1BA small block heads with solid roller cam.

maybe cut o
I got ARP Head studs and 6pt nuts. On a couple of the studs the nut fits down between the valve springs but I can’t get the socket down between the springs to torque the nuts. Any suggestions?
I have Brodix B1BA small block heads with solid roller cam.
Cut one down in a lathe ? I have 5-6 modified tools in my box, I don`t mind making things work. 'WELL NOT TOO MUCH!" I had a new aftermarket rear main seal cap that I could not make work w/ the 12 point nuts on my main studs. Sent it back for a refund and used the stock cap that came on the engine. ???????

Sean, this thread hasn't had any activity for over 10 yrs. You are always better off starting a new thread if you don't find the info you need in an old thread. A new thread with zero posts will catch a lot more attention than 1 with 2 pages and is 10 yrs old

Sean, this thread hasn't had any activity for over 10 yrs. You are always better off starting a new thread if you don't find the info you need in an old thread. A new thread with zero posts will catch a lot more attention than 1 with 2 pages and is 10 yrs old
Thanks

You need to start a thread, not a conversation. A conversation is just a private message between you and another member. If you go to the small block engines section right at the top right side of the page is a box that says "Post new thread". Click on that and from there its' self explanatory

You need to start a thread, not a conversation. A conversation is just a private message between you and another member. If you go to the small block engines section right at the top right side of the page is a box that says "Post new thread". Click on that and from there its' self explanatory
Yes I found that after. Thanks for your help.

-
Back