At what point a frontrunners Waranted?

-

Valvebounce

Reaction score
How fast do you think a car needs to be before it's worth swapping the front tyres for front runners?
I realise there's little point in fitting them to a 15 second car. But when would you fit them to your car?
Also, are there any advantages in using them over street tyres? Less rolling resistance?

Bad idea on a doorslammer bracket car unless you need an adrenalin rush.

i would just go with skinny radials...

thats what i did on my dart and unless your running slicks (ply style tire) then you dont need the ply fronts...

just dont mix and match...

I run a 185 on a 5 inch rally. Thats about as skinny as I will go. To many pot holes around here. Think I would taco a set of pizza cutters in no time.

Going to run a set on my Duster but it is going to be a drag only car.

ONLY USE THEM ON A RACECAR! No street use. I have a set of Good Year's on our bracket car with lots of passes. No issues on a 3060lb car & driver.

It's not just the static weight, it's also the rotational mass.
IIRC, one of the Mopar mags did a test maybe 8 years ago and they are easily worth a tenth in the 1/4.

track only car with slicks on the rear. Otherwise I would be running Drags Radials on the back and radials up front

Drove around my Fish with the skinneys that came on it when I bought it, I wouldn't recommend it....the car drove like ***, to the point that it was dangerous. Suffice to say they were replaced fairly quickly.

Thanks guys.
I'm looking at a cheap set of used ones, (everything I do revolves around being cheap) and wondered if they'd be worthwhile or not.
I was talking to a guy at work today with a low 11 second ford (boo hiss!) and he reckoned front runners were skinny front wheels that were slick. I had thought the term "front runner" just refered to skinny front drag tyres.
These are the tyres I'm looking at http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=369055364
I scored a cheap pair of brand new drag slicks a while ago, and thought these might go good with them.
I scored a rough old rolling body for free last year, and I've been slowly piecing together a 318 I scored for free to go in it. (engine should cost <$1000 all told) I'm also planning to bottle feed it too.
I supose if drag fronts are worth a tenth, then they're worth it at that price.

Nice tire, but at 28'' tall you'll be trimming the fenders to get them to fit.

Thanks for that Vit C. As this car was free, and is already a bit ugly, (well lots ugly actually) I'd have no qualms about taking to the guards with an Air nibbler. Although I may take my tape out before I take my wallet out.
Drag tyres would only be fitted at the track, or the car would be trailered there. (Car does have plates, so I'm contemplating having it road usable too)

I run Vw tires on my car. No issue. I am on my second set. been over 135 in the 1/4 with the old motor..

save the money and put it in the motor to actully make the car faster
worlds fastest street cars run tru z rated radials in the 7 sec area 150mph plus
its a waste inless you want that look

Ive got the cheap skinnies on the front of my Dart, and after going 120+ in the quarter, i got nervous and ordered a set of the 26'' tall moroso front runners. I hope they fit, they will be real close to the front fender lip, and i wont cut the fenders if they are to tall. I love the look of cars with the tall front runners.

28" tall ? I doult they will clear the inner guards, also beware of perished side walls, remember they are cheap for a reason & you get what you pay for, personly I wouldnt use those tyres, street or track

put a set of MT 27.5 front runners on 71 Dart this afternoon... fit with plenty of room.

I took off a set of 165R75 front tires....you could feel the difference in weight...both are using 15x3 centerlines...

and the car is used only for drag racing

-
Back