At what point would you suggest Aftermarket Axles.

-

Dart Sport 360

Wanna Race?
Reaction score
Just curious what you guys think on this subject.

My car is street driven, taken to the track 2 or 3 times a season. Its gone 12.60's and if it ever went 12.40's I would be happy. It not a race car and never will be.... If I decided to race it more than no question I would just get the axles.

Its an 8 3/4 with 3.55 gears and a 28" tall tire. 60 foots were 2.0's. IMO the car is not launching violent enough to need them, what do you think? My wife races it so I want the car to be safe but I don't need to spend the money on something that will likely never break.

Its fastest pass is linked in my signature so you can see for yourself...

Thanks a lot for the input!!!

I think there's an axle rule for slick tire cars. If it was me, I'd say once you need a roll bar (11.49 and faster) axles are a good choice. If a spool is used instead of a differential, axles are mandatory. For your car, good brakes, a solid front suspension, and a driveshaft loop would be all I'd worry about having. They dont mandate the loop either, but I think it's cheap insurance. I've had slower cars spit Ujoints before.

if using spool..aftermarket axles required..

if running faster then 10.99...aftermarket axles required ..

this is nhra rules...

Thanks guys.

Rules aside, when will these stock suckers break?

I do have a loop, I believe in them if you put a tire on the car.

Do you think I should look into stronger aftermarket lug studs. I have a buddy with a Hemi General Lee with a 4 speed thats broke studs but thats with a @5000rpm lauch...

Thanks guys.

Rules aside, when will these stock suckers break?

I do have a loop, I believe in them if you put a tire on the car.

Do you think I should look into stronger aftermarket lug studs. I have a buddy with a Hemi General Lee with a 4 speed thats broke studs but thats with a @5000rpm lauch...

You are more likely to have a problem at the track, with a sticky surface (or doing donuts in the parking lot:mrgreen:). If you run sticky tires you might have a problem...or if you run a 4 speed, you might have a problem....but if you run an automatic with "real" street tires (not street slicks) you should be fine.

FWIW, I ran a nitrous ingesting small block with a stock 8 3/4 3.55 sure grip and street slicks for a few years. When I pulled the rear apart to upgrade to 35 spline axles and a spool, the old axles looked just fine (no twist).

Glad to see I,m not the only one twisting axels.I replaced one of mine in early spring due to twisting lastyear.Even the new one is twisted now,so went Dana with 35 spline.:D
View attachment 66 Dart project Nov2010 216.jpg

View attachment 66 Dart project Nov2010 215.jpg

When running any type of slicks,you should be running 3 inch studs.Obviously the tech at the local track doesn,t really enforce the rules.For your wifes and your saftey,also spectators I would change them.

We twisted a set of strange 9" axles in the truck.... took them to BEAR because he would not believe it.

yeah I'll look for a set of studs over the winter. c'mon petty, TMP wouldn't let stuff slide threw tech... you know that.

we have a set of stock axles drilled to 4.5 bolt patt. in a 73 duster all steel, fiberglass bumper and hood scoop,2 race seats,no back seat,8 point cage with ladder bars and coil overs, stock frontend just rebuild, that has been 6.20 in the 1/8 mile and no problems..strange spool and gears.....carries the front tires about 3' in the air and about 2/3' out...451/indy iron -1 heads ,glide,and 5500 verta...stock axles are tough..jmho thanks mike

we have a set of stock axles drilled to 4.5 bolt patt. in a 73 duster all steel, fiberglass bumper and hood scoop,2 race seats,no back seat,8 point cage with ladder bars and coil overs, stock frontend just rebuild, that has been 6.20 in the 1/8 mile and no problems..strange spool and gears.....carries the front tires about 3' in the air and about 2/3' out...451/indy iron -1 heads ,glide,and 5500 verta...stock axles are tough..jmho thanks mike

Your not the only one having good luck with stock axles, I ran 10.9s with many 1.5 60fts for 2 yrs. & axles were just fine, I have seen guys slower then me twisting Moser axles, I don't think having slicks are the issue, Maybe DRs, Slicks have a softer launch as they wrinkle a bit, DRs hook harder (when they hook), I also feel having a spool helps control any major axle flex in the housing (back bracing is another plus), I run spools on all my mopars anymore, I just feel there more stable & stronger.

Running 12s in an A body i wouldn't even worry about it, especially with 2.0 60fts. Stock 8.3/4 axles are stronger then most think.

most guys that twist them will not all be most change them from side to side and let them twist back.....done around here for a long time..but what do i know my junk was slow anyway lol..mike:glasses7:

-
Back