Atco runs

-

rumblefish360

I have escaped the EVIL Empire State!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Figured I'd share the day's events. I read about a MoPar meet at Atco. I said, it's a bit far, but what the hell, I'll go for a drive. Not havin a fast car ethier, I decided to take the daily scoot, the Duster (74) down and enjoy the day and hey, WTF, I might as well run the damn thing down the track as well. Why not?
I did want to do this for a base line anyway.

And for those that remember that resto thread of mine, I did tell you I was gonna goof around with the car and have fun, here is the first time out with it on anything more than a 30 min. run around town. Excellent operation.

After a missed turn and a 3 hour drive, I sign up and I hear them call class up to the line. All well, no cool down time.
The class was titled Pro Mopar No Electronics, 9.00 - 19.00. Cool, sounds like a run whatcha brung class to me.

FYI, Car/Engine back round check
1979, 318 dead stock except these parts;
Hooker headers into 2-1/2 Jegs exhaust
Edelbrock LD4B intake (Older dual plane, small 318 ports)
Carter 625 AFB Emissions carb
MoPar Performance distibutor
Crane cam, @ .050, 216/228 - .454/.480 on a 112
(New timing chain and matching springs of course)
904 tranny, stock
3.21 suregriped equiped rear, stock tires

I shut it off in the staging lanes. And that was a problem. I do believe the AFB started to suffer from the fuel boiling. It ran really bad after I started it back up and it fell flat on it's face on the first run.
(LORD I hate that)

So I just started it back up and floored it. At least I got to see where it shifted. 4,000. Way to low & soft.
LOL at the 23.659 run @ 80.

Second run with a 5,000 shift, 15.14 @ 89.65, 60 ft. 2.209.
Thrid run with a burn out and a more agressive pedal push on launch,
15.19 @88.84, 60 ft.2.212. A bit of tire spin. Same shift point.

I believe after a timing adjustment to get it in there and a carb adjustment, I'll see high 14's. :rock:

Met some really cool peoples and had a great day. Then again, what would you expect from a day with drag racers?

Sounds like you enjoyed your self.I like to go for T and T and get matched up with the ricers.I think I catch them of gaurd,which puts a big smile on me and spectators.YeeHa!!

Glad to hear you had fun.
Try lowering the float a hair maybe and if your running one of those drop base of even stock air cleaners switch it for something that doesn't create a sweltering cave around the carb. maybe raise the air cleaner?

Another reason I block the heat crossover with a piece of thin metal.

If you ran 15.19 then adjusting + the timing will possibly raise the trap speed, but could create more tire spin and slow you down.
Of corse if you get rid of the pizza cutters and bring the psi to 25 on real tires, then 15 flat should be feasible I think [with the current configuration].
Your tires + gears and you'll be a tire spinning .......you know what I mean.

A 3.73-3.91 gear and 2200-2400 converter would be nice in that setup.
I might also set the primary rods on the lean side for OTL 1/4 wot

Oh and if you get a holley you'll be in the 12's [joke]

3404spdvaliant;

Not a drag car yet.... key word, yet, maybe, I'll have to see which way the wind blows as I go along. I really like seeing Duster's set up to go. I was rappin with a couple of A body racers at Atco. Race only cars, well gutted. The only thing that sucks about that is street driving is out. I'm not sure I'd be fond of that. Even more so that the nearest track is ethier Island or E-town, @ apprx. 2-1/2 hours away through New York city.
It's bad enuff that the first bridge out of New York is $10.

The floats may need a tad of an adjustment, but not for the track use. In regular driving, hard turns near stall it. The air cleaner currently is one of those MP resto unsilenced unit's. I have very little room above it. It rubs the hood insulation now, not alot, but it leaves an impression n the hood insulation. In the futre, I want to grab a fiberglass hood and was thinking of a cowl unit.

I would like to run a OE carb to intake gasket. There thicker and will stop alot of heat into the carb. At here 1/4 inch height, unbelieveably (sp) I don't have the room. This could be due to the schmaucher swap kit being installed slightly high.

OH, I have a 600 cfm, 4160 converter to a 4150 layin in wait.

On the other suggestions, I agree with them and think that would be the right way to go to improve times. For now, the gear and converter stay put.
The heat crossover stays for now since it see's everyday duty. Going into work @ midnight, the car can heat up alittle quicker for my comfort.

Come spring, there will be changes and the tip will be used.

Also, keep in mind that this car is going to be used as a mule for teaching purposes here at ForAbodiesOnly for those just getting into this. There are going to be purposeful mismatchs to show, prove, disprove things we hear and read.

I'll next be taking carbs on and off trying out various sizes. Report on street duty and track duty performance.
Then it will be intakes and then head intake combos.

Other carbs on hand;

750 cfm's; Edelbrock, Holley 4150 DP, 3310
Edelbrock 800 AFB
Carter OEM AVS 630 & 750
Big and small T-Q's and one with a few mods to it.

Intakes on hand;

Iron T-Q, TorkerII, RPM Air-Gap, Modded LD340, Holley Strip Dom, MP M-1 single plane. (Coming soon)

Heads;

(Need to be done yet) 318's stock '78 heads, 302 & 360, 308 heads. (Ready to run) 2.02 J's, Edel. RPM's.

All set to screw around! :toothy10:

Thanks

Oh, next item up for adjusting is a shift kit for the 904 lock up and a deep pan. I really don't like the slow sloppy shift.

Wan't DJV and his Cuda down there? Thought I seen the car driving around.

Hey Rob,
Is your neck okay after those 60' times !! LOL J/K
glad You made it there and back,I didn't want to have to come find you with the trailer..
Tim

Thanks Tim. I'm glad too. I need to get a lil'something for that just incase the wifes Ford needs to come and get me. Can't have you leaving the Dart behind to get me home.

OH, the wifes rubbing my neck later, I'll be fine, thanks.

Like 496dart said,
Any time you can go down a drag strip is a great day.
Glad you had a good day at the track and talked to some good folks:-D

Thanks Me Mike.

I have some old tires. Hummm, I guess I could borrow those 10 year old jobbies off the Cuda. 255/60/15's. ...Naaaa. Wait, I think I have 225/70/15's on the side of the garage, naaaaa. LOL

What is the next wider tire that has the same diameter of the 215/70/14's on there now? I'm seriously thinking about a 235/60/15 for it come spring.

Both Holleys are not in my hands right now, but maybe by weeks end.

I need to get a 8-3/4 for this ride and a few center sections.

-
Back