ATF - What Type

-

JackDW

New to group old in years
Reaction score
What type of ATF would you use in an old 904 with 230K miles. Never been rebuild or worked on in any manner. As I understand, the fluid was changed once a long, long time ago. (This has to be one solid transmission.)

As I understand, once a Trans is rebuilt it may require a different type of ATF (depends upon the new cluches). If so, what is used in that case.

Thanks for the feedback.

If the fluid has not been changed in a long-long time. I'd say 70k-80k+. I would NOT recommend changing the fluid. It can, and likely, will lead to it slipping more than it does now.

If its a fresh trans, I run Type F, others run Dexron III

I would go with the type F.I have found that the Dexron III fluid tends to wash the valve body and clutch packs really fast in high mileage units.The Mopar ATF +4 is an other good fluid to use.

Ive used it all and dont see a difference, Dexron, +3, Type F, doesnt seem to matter.

Thanks for your responses. It appears that this Trans is not real fussy about what to use. Based upon what my wifes tells me, the fluid was last changed over 150,000 miles ago (maybe longer) and the Trans still works well. Does not slip, jump or jerk. We recently sold her 70 Mustang Conv. and that car was very fussy about the Fluid. Anything other the Type F, the trans would lock up so I was concerned about using the correct fluid in this car. Thanks again for the feedback.

Yeah we had a FWD Lebarron that gave a trans shutter at about 45 mph.
Previous owner had put the wrong fluid in it.
Now back to your 904... To service that trans, adjusting the bands and kickdown linkage BY (BUY) THE BOOK can be a good thing. If you want to catch the fluid in a clean pan and strain it for reuse, you wont be the first to do so. Set the park brake start it in neautral and let it warm to operating temp. You still may need a quart of type F to top off.

Yeah we had a FWD Lebarron that gave a trans shutter at about 45 mph.
Previous owner had put the wrong fluid in it.
Now back to your 904... To service that trans, adjusting the bands and kickdown linkage BY (BUY) THE BOOK can be a good thing. If you want to catch the fluid in a clean pan and strain it for reuse, you wont be the first to do so. Set the park brake start it in neautral and let it warm to operating temp. You still may need a quart of type F to top off.

Huh? If it's old high mileage fluid why in the world would you pull the pan, adjust the bands and then put used fluid back in it? It doesn't just get dirty, it has it's additive pack used up, it degrades over time and use.

I could see doing that if you just overhauled it but had to pull the pan back off because something wasn't right, but I (and you shouldn't either) ever use old used up fluid over.

Now as for fluids, Type F has a higher coefficient of friction than Dexron and Mercon, the Fords needed that to minimize the slipping and the heat buildup. Chryslers don't need that. The better lubricating qualities of Dexron or any of the Type 7176, II, III, or IV fluids are a better choice.

Synthetics are also good choices. BTW Type IV is a synthetic fluid.

BTW Redfish, that shudder in your Lebaron was from the lock up torque converter. Those transmissions required the Type 7176 or later, II, III, or IV fluids.

-
Back