Aussie VC 67 Dodge ute

-
Predecessor to the Dodge Rampage.
B9FA44B8-D205-4A8B-9AA5-E7E1AB537EF5.jpeg

I’d put the ‘66 Barracuda grill and headlight surrounds on it and call it my Dodge Frenzy, lol.

If going on a fish theme, Wahoo has my vote. Not quite a barracuda but very similar...

6DBCD858-3FBB-49BC-B030-31B4EA5BD036.jpeg

Last edited:
Wahoo in aus would wind up being called a yahoo
Maybe mule as in the factory name of the shortened test bed Ute for the Aussie charger, I would say keeping the Aussie theme and aquatic animals great white or hammerhead

Had a friend come over a couple of weeks ago and we got talking about this naming the ute thing. She did an internet search and came up with Dorado, which is a fish!...Dodge Dorado, or even Dodge El Dorado (meaning the gilded one) which kind of fits with the yellowish/orange paint colour planned! Anyway onto the update. We are in a three week Covid lockdown so I've had plenty of time to work on the Dodge. Here's what I've been up to!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Had a friend come over a couple of weeks ago and we got talking about this naming the ute thing. She did an internet search and came up with Dorado, which is a fish!...Dodge Dorado, or even Dodge El Dorado (meaning the gilded one) which kind of fits with the yellowish/orange paint color planned.

That’s perfect! We call them Dolphin fish or Mahi-mahi (which means “very strong” in native Hawaiian). I like the soliloquy of Dodge Dorado. I’ve caught a couple and their colors are stunning in person right out of the water. The bull’s look very utilitarian to boot. Dash work looks awesome, reminds me of my friend’s shop where he hand shapes and glasses surfboards.

Maybe you can even make an emblem for it?

1FB1187C-3D42-4252-8723-EB54B1F65370.jpeg

Last edited:
All the switches have arrived from Bluewire Automotive and installed. They look great and have a nice feel, worth the money! Final fit up has been done, just a couple of little things to finish to be happy with it. Just waiting for lockdown to end to be able to get to work to cover it!

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

Your dash has come up great a real retro style glimpse of what could have been if Chrysler were still making cars for our market here in Aus I have left mine basically stock just added later model stalk mounted wipers and headlight flashers and used the old switch holes for spot light switch and intermittent wiper switch

Had some down time while finishing the dash top. So I finished a little project I started some time ago! Dodges didn't come with outer sill plates. I bought a pair from an Aussie Valiant Regal but wasn't completely happy, so I made these.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

your skills are outstanding! I did notice that in your haste you got the instrument cluster, etc., on the wrong side.:rofl:

Great idea you could have used some ally ones from a sedan but I guess the would be too easy and common for your build, there is no helping you when it comes to building 1 off parts, also make your ones look like modern versions and I suppose a base model look apart from the ally ones

Cool build.My Mate in Logans Run Qld just sold his UTE .I wanted to buy it.he sold it with the convo pro's on it.It was fun riding in it 265 turbo q I th a 3 on the tree!

Photo_2015-10-23_08-34-36_PM.png
FB_IMG_1469225289807.jpg

Finally back at work, so I have now covered the dash top. The blue painted section will later be covered in the matching vinyl once the A/C and fuse box as well as all the electronic control units have been mounted. There's a massive amount of electronics so a lot of though has to go into positioning of components.

33.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

Your work is mighty impressive I love the dash and what you have done with it

As I'm going to use a Turbo 700, I dug this NOS VT Commondore shifter out of my parts bin. A few modifications to fit a Lokar surround with gear indicator quadrant, and a Dakota Digital CSS 2000 gear position system. That gives me not only gear position, but neutral safety switch & reverse lights. I was thinking of adapting a Hurst handle or, if that couldn’t fit, a Ripshift copy that is designed for this shifter. In the end I hand covered the original handle using gripper vinyl on the sides. Not too sure if it’s what I want, so made a couple of options which are on the last image. I’ll put it to the court of public opinion and see what others think!!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

9.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

AP6/VC ute trim For Sale....As there's a few Aussie's following this build that may not have seen my Facebook posts, I'll post this here

This is a trim I made when I first bought my ute and planned on using it as my daily. I bought a pair of mint low K’s BF Falcon seats. I recovered them and fitted seat heaters. The door panels have fiberglass tops to make them full height instead of having the painted section at the top of the door. They feature built in arm rests & storage pockets. There’s a custom console with storage pockets front and rear. The open recess in the centre of the console is designed to be cut out for a floor shift if needed. Included is a fabric headlining with sun visors and B pillar covers. High quality deep cut pile carpets. To finish, there’s a SAAS leather covered steering wheel. If someone walked into the workshop to price the same custom trim it would be $11,050 worth. This trim is unused and has been in storage for 9 years. Getting it ready I’ve found a couple of very small marks but they wouldn’t be seen once installed. It comes with spare vinyl and some fabric (fabric looks greener than it photographs). I’m asking $4,500ono and will leave the freight up to the purchaser.

1.jpg

2.jpg

6.jpg

10.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

17.jpg

Why are you selling the trim pieces. These parts look great in your ute!!! I wish you lived closer, your work is fantastic. I have followed your build from the beginning. It's pretty righteous.

thanks for the compliments....this trim suited the factory green paint but now I'm changing colour of both the paint and trim. The new trim will be far more detailed than this one with modern luxuries and comfort. This more the colour I'm going with!

40.jpg

-
Back