Auto floor console centered ?

-

awg329

Reaction score
I converted my 76 duster from bench to bucket seats and now I am working on the factory floor console. Should it be centered between the bucket seats side-to-side ? Pictures or measurements would be awesome ! Thanks for any help !

I converted my 76 duster from bench to bucket seats and now I am working on the factory floor console. Should it be centered between the bucket seats side-to-side ? Pictures or measurements would be awesome ! Thanks for any help !

no , centered on the hump-----------jmo

I’ve a dart cut out I lay on existing pans w markouts for reinstalling brackets if that helps when I get home I can upload pics

Its centered "on" the actual centerline of the car "not" centered on the floor hump The floor tunnel hump is offset to the right, because the drivetrain is offset to the right. Heres a pic of a mockup with automatic floor shift linkage. Its centered in the car, and offset to the left of the tunnel. Note the brackets are offset compared to the tunnel.

20210328_175016.jpg

20210328_174938.jpg

20210403_220815.jpg

Last edited:
There is a larger gap between the console and the seat on one side....cant remember which side.
Use the pre-dimpled marks for the shifter rod hole and boot to lay out a new install. Start with that and make everything else fit accordingly.

Oh, and that's NOT rust on the floor of my Barracuda. That's what was left of the glue used on the old carpet. Took me DAYS to get it off...

Oh, and that's NOT rust on the floor of my Barracuda. That's what was left of the glue used on the old carpet. Took me DAYS to get it off...
mine is closer to the drivers seat than the pass. seatj-----------fyi -------------

Jim Lusk what did it take to put the E body ratchet shifter mechanism in there? Direct bolt in I'm sure. But what about the linkage? What did you have to modify?

Thanks for the help, guys. It looks like the gap between the bucket seats and the console will be wider on the passenger side. The console appears to be more to the left side of center on the transmission hump.

Thanks for the help, guys. It looks like the gap between the bucket seats and the console will be wider on the passenger side. The console appears to be more to the left side of center on the transmission hump.
It is more to the left on the hump. Its centered in the car NOT centered on the hump.

Last edited:
The split between the gear shift and shifter indicator on the console is the center. Ashtray is dead center in the dash. 2 mounting holes in the console storage bin is dead center. Measure from the door jamb pinch weld straight in on either side and find the dead center of the car.

Screenshot_20210815-171201_Samsung Internet.jpg

Jim Lusk what did it take to put the E body ratchet shifter mechanism in there? Direct bolt in I'm sure. But what about the linkage? What did you have to modify?

Shifter is a direct bolt-in. The only mod is that the upper arm on the through floor rod needs to be shortened (center of hole to center of hole) from 2.5" to 2.25" (new hole on a slightly different line).

Here is a finished job (not my car).

DW031997.JPG
DW031998.JPG

I am attempting the same thing, slap-stick Ebody shifter in a duster. But I want to use the Ebody shift indicator. Probably going to fabricate a top plate for the console.
Can anyone tell me how tall the rear console bracket is ? It appears to be around 2 3/4 " by the pics.

The split between the gear shift and shifter indicator on the console is the center. Ashtray is dead center in the dash. 2 mounting holes in the console storage bin is dead center. Measure from the door jamb pinch weld straight in on either side and find the dead center of the car.

View attachment 1715781720
This helps a lot, Thanks !

I converted my 69 Dart to console shift. I started with the shifter assembly. I mounted the shifter to the bracket, hooked all the shift linkage up and mounted the bracket to the floor. Then located the front and rear bracket after setting the console in place to locate the mounting position.
Worked for me.

If you look around here there is a few diagrams that members have posted. I used this one to convert my car to console shift.
Console mnt diag.PNG

I converted my 69 Dart to console shift. I started with the shifter assembly. I mounted the shifter to the bracket, hooked all the shift linkage up and mounted the bracket to the floor. Then located the front and rear bracket after setting the console in place to locate the mounting position.
Worked for me.
When you converted your Dart to console shift, and you got to the phase where you hooked all the shift linkage up to the transmission. Did it matter if the trans was a 727 or a 904?
Can you hook it all up with the transmission still installed in the car?
Thanks.

I don’t think it matters 904 or 727. Not sure. Yes you can install everything with the trans in the car. Mine is a 727.

Does anyone know what the correct bolts are that go into these two console mounting holes? Thanks.

Console mount screws.PNG

Self tapping button head Phillip's with built in washer. Looks the same as the screws for the fuel tank filler tube to floor grommet.

-
Back