Auto Paint Help

-

Eyerock

Reaction score
Hello mopar community! I am new here and was refered by memike. I will be glad to help with any paint/body associated questions. Been a DuPont rep for 20 years.
Regards
Eyerock

Hi eyerock.Welcome to the site, and thanks for the offer, however, we don't know any Memike. What is a Memike?
Sounds like something Mick Jagger might say, "hey bloke, don't touch Memike!"

We all love Memike here. And we could sure use an expert on paint....by the way, I had my hood repainted, with a guarantee of a match. It looks like crap. Does Dupont have a scanner that can match any paint, perfectly?

69 Swinger1 (Small).JPG

Any opinion on a good tangerine color for a b body ? Not looking for a Dukes shade but something more subtle but eyecatching .

Welcome eyerock(as in IROC?), you are going to get a work out here. I don`t know if I would have offered that sort of information so soon. Good to have you!

Welcome aboard eyerock, I am sure we will all have questions for you, especially regarding custom colors for our rides! Nice to have you onboard!

Welcome Eyerock!

Are there any Dupont or Nason jobbers close to me, zip code 08330?

Thanks

Hay brother Eyerock!!
Welcome and thanks for your help and support here at fabo.
Guy's and gals this man is our go to guy
for any paint problems here in our area.
and is one hell of a musician. :notworth:
Guitar to drum's and owns more guitars than I have
socks!! We have spent allot of great time's together and is apart of my family.
I just got dun watching him do a three tone black, orange and a very nice metal silver
on a 67 chevelle in my son's shop.
Welcome brother!!
show us some of your handy work you have dun on some of those
bike's you have painted.
Eyerock means he play's music like a champ. :thumbup:

Good to hear. I was thinking along the same lines as John. Almost ripped you on my first post about the IROC/eyerock thing, but I needed your help.

Welcome to the site. Hang around too long and you'll be out shopping for an A-body to work on. (I'm close to a paint job on my Swinger. I may need your input). Howard

Glad to have you back with us Eyerock :cheers:. It sure has been a while brother :clock:
a bump to a friend that may have not seen this in a long time or ever 8), Enjoy your evening John!

Hi Eyerock,
I am a long time mopar owner and troll of the site. I recently gave my 75 duster a long awaited paint job and it was my first one ever..
Needless to say i screwed alot of it up (but hey its about learning and having fun right?)
I learned not to get an old can of paint from your grandpa and spray it on for fun, because the expensive stuff from the store may not be compatible and it will bubble everywhere and cause much frustration and sanding.
Also I learned not to write on your car with jiffy marker (is anyone on this site as dumb as I am?) because it bled through about 8 coats of primer and 8 more of paint after sanding.
Anyways I was actually looking for a kind of tutorial on painting but i won't bother you for that. What I would like to know is this:
The final result of my car was not near as smooth as i thought it was going to be. I didnt much sand between coats because I didnt want to keep taking the same spots down to primer and in the end have 1 coat on it. I don't have a wet sander because it seemed more trouble than its worth getting it all wet, having the paper wet, drying it etc.

So to sum up: Whats the secret to a super smooth finish, and also is wet sanding mandatory or will dry sanding suffice?

Thanks!
-grades

Welcome eyerock.

Glad to see another "painter" on this site.

One thing to note you will see the same questions asked over and over again.

This site needs a reference library.

Good luck.

sscuda
8)

P.S. In the 80's used to teach the paint application intructors, who in turn taught the paint techs how to paint. It was a fun time!!

Last post by this person was 2007 with a total of TWO posts?

Ummm yeah

Hi eyerock.Welcome to the site, and thanks for the offer, however, we don't know any Memike. What is a Memike?
Sounds like something Mick Jagger might say, "hey bloke, don't touch Memike!"

We all love Memike here. And we could sure use an expert on paint....by the way, I had my hood repainted, with a guarantee of a match. It looks like crap. Does Dupont have a scanner that can match any paint, perfectly?

I'm sure 3 years later you found the answer, but I'll throw my .02 cents. I would never put alot of faith in DuPont scanner/camera. It's a hit or miss,about 6 out of 10 and when the coolr does match, most of the time the metallics are way to coarse when you look up close. That's why it's recommended to do a spray-out test panel and adjust the color from there.

Eyerock, how can I get a paint color similar to this one? http://s88.photobucket.com/albums/k...6 Tacoma WA/?action=view&current=DSC03875.jpg
http://www.overhaulin.com/gallery.asp?Start=19&Offset=1&target=42

It looks like a satin pearl blue or sommin!

Jason

That would be a regular basecoat with matte clearcoat, most paint brands have their own version, you spray it just like regular base/clear, and within 30-40 minutes when clear dries it turns to flat, which can also be adjusted with some paint brands, there is also additive available to add in your clearcoat, it's usually called flattening agent.

Hi Eyerock,
I am a long time mopar owner and troll of the site. I recently gave my 75 duster a long awaited paint job and it was my first one ever..
Needless to say i screwed alot of it up (but hey its about learning and having fun right?)
I learned not to get an old can of paint from your grandpa and spray it on for fun, because the expensive stuff from the store may not be compatible and it will bubble everywhere and cause much frustration and sanding.
Also I learned not to write on your car with jiffy marker (is anyone on this site as dumb as I am?) because it bled through about 8 coats of primer and 8 more of paint after sanding.
Anyways I was actually looking for a kind of tutorial on painting but i won't bother you for that. What I would like to know is this:
The final result of my car was not near as smooth as i thought it was going to be. I didnt much sand between coats because I didnt want to keep taking the same spots down to primer and in the end have 1 coat on it. I don't have a wet sander because it seemed more trouble than its worth getting it all wet, having the paper wet, drying it etc.

So to sum up: Whats the secret to a super smooth finish, and also is wet sanding mandatory or will dry sanding suffice?

Thanks!
-grades

the most important part of smooth finish is your bodywork,which has to be blocksanded prior to application of high-build primer surfacer,then blocked again before applying color, most modern basecoats do not build up thickness, and require no sanding,but I usually do a quick knock down of any dirt specks or any imperfections with 1000 grit wet,followed by light coat of color,just to make sure I have a uniform coverage and texture,then you can shoot the clearcoat. If you have a decent spray gun,good ventilation and proper catalyst for the temperature , you should have a fairly slick finish, I recommend using slow or very slow hardener ,which allows a nice flow-out and very slick finish. For show quality finish you will have to wetsand,use hard rubber blocks or paint mixing sticks to block out all the orangepeel , I usually start with 1000 grit and finish with 2000,anything past that is waste of time IMO.

-
Back