Auto trans, which did you use?

-
Reaction score
Hello, I have a perfectly fine 19k mile 518 trans that came with my 6.1, I was wondering what everybody has used for their swap?

I really wanted the TCI 6x, but not in my price range currently, so I am having to stick with either the stock 518 or go with a built 727 I also have. I have heard alot of problems with the 518, but the srt8 charger guys seem to love them up to 650rwhp.

The 727 will be stronger and better for acceleration and better for when I throw my ProCharger on the 6.1, but no overdrive will suck. So what is everybodies opinion.

Thanks.

EDIT: Also have a W5A580 trans in the garage.

Most guys use 545rfe, 5 speed auto out of the ram's.

The 727 will be stronger and better for acceleration and better for when I throw my ProCharger on the 6.1, but no overdrive will suck. So what is everybodies opinion.

You can always use the 727 with a Gear Vendor O/D unit on which will turn your 3 speed auto into a 6 speed auto.

Over under drive . I installed one on a gm 4 spd once with 456 gears. Reduced to if I remember to around 370. A lot of fun shifts by a button .

Was going to use a NAG1, but decided to go with a 545RFE instead. Looking forward to having the .67 OD and 2nd prime gear.

Welp, I finally decided. Gonna sell all my transmissions. Got alot (904/727/518/and the 580 or whatever from the srt8 GC) and pick up a built NAG1 with upgraded valve body and misc parts from Paramount Peformance, a little expensive but when I give them my 518 I get a 750$ core refund.

I am still like 2,500 under the TCI 6x price and alot better reviews on Paramount then on TCI.

Welp, I finally decided. Gonna sell all my transmissions. Got alot (904/727/518/and the 580 or whatever from the srt8 GC) and pick up a built NAG1 with upgraded valve body and misc parts from Paramount Peformance, a little expensive but when I give them my 518 I get a 750$ core refund.

I am still like 2,500 under the TCI 6x price and alot better reviews on Paramount then on

You realize you need more then just the trans? What and how are you going to control it.

From what I understand, the nag 1 needs input from wheel speed sensors also..

The 545rfe is easier to put into the car than a NAG1 is going to be. The 545 just needs a truck PCM to control the shift patterns. Bonus is it also controls the 5.7/6.1 engine.

The best part is the 545's can be had for less than $500 in some cases. I've been selling one for about a month for $400. So they are out there.

Riddler

The guy's over at Hotwire know it best I think, but your NAG needs to talk to the ABS module, TCM, and the PCM through a CAN Bus before it will do a shift.

I am still like 2,500 under the TCI 6x price and alot better reviews on Paramount then on TCI.
Don't do it! Save yourself a whole bunch of heartache and go with the 545 like others have said. I haven't seen anyone get that NAG1 to work without basically swapping everything from the donor vehicle. Way too much hassle for what it's worth in my opinion.

I used an A518 behind the 5.7l in my '69 Dart.

The amount of tunnel mods were minimal - just some minor tweaking for clearance and a new transmission mount.
The upper portion of the original rear mount needed to be relocated to the top side of the floor pan for tail shaft / OD clearance.
I used 3" x 1/8" flat stock bent to the shape of the tunnel with 2" x 1/2" channel wrapped over it and welded to the original frame (top and bottom).
The carpet and console covers this so it's not noticeable. The lower portion of the mount is quite similar to others that have be posted already.

The best part is ~1850RPM @ 65MPH with 3.55 gears!

At the very least to get the NAG 1 trans to work you need the rear wheel sensors. Basically the computer needs wheel speed information in order to determine shift points.

The only person I've seen getting the NAG 1 to work without taking everything from a donor car was this guy.

Read all the way through this guys thread. He has a tremendous amount of good information on transplanting the NAG 1 trans into an A-Body.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=53074

Here's couple of pics of how he made his own sensor mounts for the transmission. Clearly getting a NAG 1 into an A-body is not for the feint of heart.

Attachments

• TONE RING 001 (Small).jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 441
  • TONE RING 002 (Small).jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 496
  • TONE RING 003 (Small).jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 674
Also, if you're going with a NAG, you'll need a drive shaft with a slip-joint in it. NAG's driveshaft bolt directly to the trans output shaft as the pics above show really well. I've also heard you may need a center support bearing for the driveshaft?

-
Back