Automatic Transmission Issues

-

kyler

Reaction score
So I have not posted in a while, which I apologize for. I promise I will update you all on my cars status as soon as I get this issue figured out.

When I put my transmission in reverse, it clunks as it always does, letting me know my gears have shifted, but sometimes when I accelerate, it stutters really badly and has very little power. If I let off the gas and do it again it may or may not continue to stutter. This only happens in reverse.

My dad thinks that it needs to be rebuilt. I trust him as a resource for things like this, so that is not necassarily my concern. I wonder what it will take to rebuild it. I found this kit here on eBay for just over $100: Dodge A904 904 Transmission Deluxe Rebuild Kit TF-6 TF6. Is that the right kit? I have a 1966 Plymouth Valiant V200 with a 225 slant-six (in case any of that makes a difference). Also, we figure we aught to do the transmission pump at the same time, so where do I get one of those and about how much? Anyone have a link?

Thanks!

Only in reverse, eh?
I think that would be a carb issue.Accelerating in reverse pushes the fuel away from the main wells, making pullover more difficult.I would RnR the carb an clean it out, paying particular attention to the emulsion tubes, and the fuel level.

As to the clunk in reverse, that may not be a tranny issue at all.Actually that would be highly unlikely.It is far more likely to be in the rear end or in the rear Ujoint,or even in the front tripot. But the rear end is the go-to for a clunk.

Last edited:
Only in reverse, eh?
I think that would be a carb issue.Accelerating in reverse pushes the fuel away from the main wells, making pullover more difficult.I would RnR the carb an clean it out, paying particular attention to the emulsion tubes, and the fuel level.
As to the clunk in reverse, that may not be a tranny issue at all.Actually that would be highly unlikely.

The clunk is not a problem, I just meant the way the car moves when it shifts. When I say it "stutters" it is a mechanical feel and it's really fast, the engine doesn't seem to have any issues. It's hard to explain. I would like it to be just the carb needing a good cleaning.

In other news, I also found this kit:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tci-129000/applications/year/1966/make/plymouth

Thoughts on that?

I buy all my tranny kits locally, so can't help with that. I see no reason to rebuild the tranny yet. I would adjust the bands now and then. But you make no mention of slipping gears or burned fluid,so, for me $200plus dollars buys a lot of hamburger.
The overrunning clutch sometimes makes funny creaks or groans in reverse, but it will keep on going for years that way.

Adjust the rear band and check the rear servo, as it sounds like it's chattering.
That's the word you were actually looking for (chattering) :D

requires the pan be off but everything else can stay in place.

Adjust the rear band and check the rear servo, as it sounds like it's chattering.
That's the word you were actually looking for (chattering) :D

requires the pan be off but everything else can stay in place.
How do I go about adjusting the band? Or check in a servo? Is there a how-to video?

Thanks advice! I hope that's all it is! I will keep you posted.

How do I go about adjusting the band? Or check in a servo? Is there a how-to video?

Thanks advice! I hope that's all it is! I will keep you posted.

Front and rear band adjustments.

-
Back