Autometer gauges are ordered- good advice appreciated

-

73SwingerBuild

Reaction score
I finally bit the bullet and ordered my new autometer gauges from Summit. They are all Sport Comp and electrical gauges, except the speedometer which is mechanical. I also ordered the Lokar 80" speedo cable, which is a little too long, but it was the closest I could find.
Couple of questions I still need answered:

Are the speedometer cable ports on the 727, A833, and 904 transmissions the same? The Lokar cable I ordered fits the 727 for sure, but I have an A833.

Also, can that cable be wrapped behind the dash in a sweeping path, or should I cut it and resolder/weld it back together to fit the car? I don't don't want to get it jammed and ruin the gear in the tranny.

Also, any tips or pointers you all have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Mike

are your for sure going to use electrical gauges? I have a complete set of Mopar Performance/Autometer Ultra-Lite Gauges that are silver with the Pentastar on the face that I'm about to list for sale..

I've spent about 6 years scouring the internet for NIB gauges and finally found them all...but have changed directions on the duster (I'm going all OEM instead of custom)

Day late and a dollar short lol. I already received them and started cutting the custom gauge panel to fit them. I'd love to see what those look like though. They sound awesome.

-Mike

are your for sure going to use electrical gauges? I have a complete set of Mopar Performance/Autometer Ultra-Lite Gauges that are silver with the Pentastar on the face that I'm about to list for sale..

I've spent about 6 years scouring the internet for NIB gauges and finally found them all...but have changed directions on the duster (I'm going all OEM instead of custom)

I,d like to see what ya got and pm me a price.

are your for sure going to use electrical gauges? I have a complete set of Mopar Performance/Autometer Ultra-Lite Gauges that are silver with the Pentastar......

I had a set in my Prostreet Ram. Nice! Sorry for the bad pic but here they are,

Attachments

• ram dash.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 218
I had a set in my Prostreet Ram. Nice! Sorry for the bad pic but here they are,

they were definitely THE best looking aftermarket gauges for mopar's...its a shame that Autometer quit making them...I'm sure it had to do with licensing

No, those gauges (And yea, there the best looking ones ever IMO!) were ordered to be done by MoPar and only sold through MoPar and they can not be reproduced by Auto Meter because there a custom ordered part from MoPar to be only made for Mopar.

Yea, I guess you can tell I called Auto Meter on this.......

They will fix the gauge for you if you have one. But not that face of the gauge, just the mechanical part of it.

Definitely looks like a nice gauge. I'll be fine with my standard autometers though. They will do the job.

But now that a few people are subscribed, I'll break into my questions lol.

I ordered the Lokar speedo cable to hook up to my A-833 and Autometer mechnical speedometer. Do anybody know if there are any corrective gears needed either in-line with the cable or on the transmission itself to make the speedometer read right? I know rear gears and tire height will obviously change this as well, but strictly refering to just the transmission and speedo, will I need to correct this ratio at all or is it pretty much just plug it in and hope for the best?
Thanks

-Mike

as for the long cable. not sure i would wind it up at all. may bind the cable. i would allow it to make any sharp bends either. nice slow easy bends...

as car as the gear goes the directions will tell you that i would assume. i'm sure you'll have to calibrate it some how.. i went electric. doesn't matter what gear is in there. you push a button, drive two miles and push the button and its calibrated. easy as pie. i woudl have really liked a gps speedo.

as for the long cable. not sure i would wind it up at all. may bind the cable. i would allow it to make any sharp bends either. nice slow easy bends...

as car as the gear goes the directions will tell you that i would assume. i'm sure you'll have to calibrate it some how.. i went electric. doesn't matter what gear is in there. you push a button, drive two miles and push the button and its calibrated. easy as pie. i woudl have really liked a gps speedo.

hey abodyjoe, I checked out the link below your avatar picture (moparmisfits) ... what the frigg is the good of a site that you must register before you can even look at the peoples posts?:banghead: I always check out a forum before I join it and there you can't

hey abodyjoe, I checked out the link below your avatar picture (moparmisfits) ... what the frigg is the good of a site that you must register before you can even look at the peoples posts?:banghead: I always check out a forum before I join it and there you can't

guess you'll have to sign up then.. if not you won't be missed..:)

i do it so guys can't just go there and read and not sign up.

if you do sign up you will need to post in the newbie section before the board is unlocked..:)

i do that to keep track of who has signed up..

every so often i go through the members and weed out those that do not post ..:) so if you do sign up ya better post or be deleted..lol

and if someone is easily offended i advise them not to sign up, but they will read all about that in the welcome PM they receive....:)

Ill have to save this thread. I plan on redoing my interior and going with all Autometer gauges in my Dart after I get my suspension and drive train out of the way. I will be going with mechanical gauges however. I figure it will be less headache to get aftermarket gauges wired and setup like I want than deal with the factory mess.

-
Back