Automobilia collectors, please help WIW!

-

340butterduster

no title
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to purchase a few items from a long time collector, I know these items are worth some good $.
I would like to have your opinions on the value of the following items.

Item #1; A double visible gas pump
View attachment 215073

Item #2 ; A brass fire extinguisher

View attachment 215085

Item #3 : Eco air pump

View attachment 215087

All are authentic and restored, working? I don't have the model numbers and year...available at the moment, but that should not affect a ballpark value of these items.

He also has numerous porcelain signs, most way too large for home. There's a few old oil cans, I wouldn't mind picking up also.

Any comment welcome, I don't want to over-pay.

Thanks,
Giles

Giles,

It appears the double visible pump is far and few between and sought after by collectors. I will keep going thru the books!
It also appears the globes may not be originals. I'm out on this now. good luck

Giles,

It appears the double visible pump is far and few between and sought after by collectors. I will keep going thru the books!

I'd be really happy to get it @ $3K.
The air pump generally sells for about $500., give or take. The extinguisher I have no idea, go figure, I'm a member of the fire brigade and we have a small museum.
I want to try to make him an offer on a few items, hoping to get a better deal overall.

Please let me know about that gas pump, I'm not buying it for resale.
And no the globes and the glass cylinders are not original, they are re-pro I think.

Sunoco is not around any more Giles, so that is only gonna go up in value. Depending on the size of it, I would say its worth around $500-$800 easy. I saw an old rusty bullet riddled Sky Chief sign about 4' high go for $550 at an auction. Old cans go anywhere from $5-10 a can.

Some of the other stuff is pretty valuable, but I see those fire extinguishers goin for like 20-25 bucks in antique stores all the time. they ain't nuthin uncommon.....but they are cool. Most of the time, some idiot has made a lamp out of um.

The Sunoco sign is probably 7 feet long by 3 feet high, gauged with the steel sheeting.
He has Shell, Texaco, 76, B/A. All too big for me though.

Any other guesses on the first 3 items, gas pump and air pump are the two, I'm mostly interested in.
Although I would love to have it all.

Great stuff Giles. My mom has the same exact fire extiguisher and she bought it about 3 years ago for $50. Here's has alot of putina on it and the hose is frayed a little.

I feel that one should be worth about $100 or so...

Riddler

Great stuff Giles. My mom has the same exact fire extiguisher and she bought it about 3 years ago for $50. Here's has alot of putina on it and the hose is frayed a little.

I feel that one should be worth about $100 or so...

Riddler

I didn't think those extinguishers were that common, I figured most got scrapped for the copper. I remember seeing those in my parents apartment building in the early '70's. They got replaced around then, to meet fire codes.
I'd gladly pay $100. for it, not sure how much more, I'd be willing to go.

Giles, you should try and get the dbl visible pump especially if the globes are original. the pic looks blueish, when they should be clear. also, they date about 1920's, I'm not sure how the glass was made for them, but it is possible there could be air bubbles or mould marks in the glass that can help you decide if they are original or not.
if they are not, then the value drops a fair bit.

Neat stuff Giles.

I really want one of those air pumps, but I'm looking for the wall mount type.

At Moparfest one year, I talked to the gentleman at the old fire truck for about two hours. Very interesting guy. When I went to Yarmouth, I took a few of your flyers with me, and put them in their fire museum. Wow! they had some very old, very neat stuff too.

I would LOVE to have the double visible pump. $3500 seems reasonable for it, even though I probably couldn't convince the "boss" of that. :iconbigg:

gas pump has to be worth $2000 - $2500
eco air tower $400-$500
good luck

Neat stuff Giles.

I really want one of those air pumps, but I'm looking for the wall mount type.

At Moparfest one year, I talked to the gentleman at the old fire truck for about two hours. Very interesting guy. When I went to Yarmouth, I took a few of your flyers with me, and put them in their fire museum. Wow! they had some very old, very neat stuff too.

You must have been talking to Blain, he's an old school firefighter, he was a captain, nice fellow.
I'd prefer the wall mount also, as those are the one's I used to use to "pump up" my bicycle tires with, they were always mounted next to the far bay door, but it seems the pedestal ones is all I run into, and not commonly.

Any other guesses on the first 3 items, gas pump and air pump are the two, I'm mostly interested in.
Although I would love to have it all.

Your thread is making me feel old! I remember some of this stuff like it was yesterday! We used to have those fire extinguishers in school. I put holes in a lot of those Quaker State cans. Pumped a lot of Sunoco 260.

From watching "American Pickers" I think the first response is pretty close on both the pump and air dispenser. That double gas pump might break the bank.

Some cool stuff there Giles.I have some collectables also,few old bottles,oil cans and such,but my prize collectable is my old Red Indian Motor Oils sign.It,s porcelin coated and someone shot the Indian(which sucks)but still a neat piece.Some of that stuff looks pricey.Here,s a pic of my sign.It,s about 6foot by 3 1/2.
View attachment 66 Dart project Nov2010 139.jpg

Sunoco is not around any more Giles, so that is only gonna go up in value. Depending on the size of it, I would say its worth around $500-$800 easy. I saw an old rusty bullet riddled Sky Chief sign about 4' high go for $550 at an auction. Old cans go anywhere from $5-10 a can.

Sunoco is all over western PA.................

The ECO pedestal pump can easily sell for over a grand on Ebay......

The pedestals alone can bring $250+.........The pump head I've seen bring over $850.........Depends on the "who and where".......that's why I say "Ebay" because it puts it out to collectors everywhere who scan for the stuff constantly.

Some cool stuff there Giles.I have some collectables also,few old bottles,oil cans and such,but my prize collectable is my old Red Indian Motor Oils sign.It,s porcelin coated and someone shot the Indian(which sucks)but still a neat piece.Some of that stuff looks pricey.Here,s a pic of my sign.It,s about 6foot by 3 1/2.
View attachment 215195

Love the sign Scott, looks great!
Unfortunately as usual, these things always pop up @ the wrong time. When I need to max out on my RSP contributions, so I get a decent tax refund.
The value of the items will only appreciate with time. I need to decide rather quickly as to what to do.

Well, a quick update, I put in my offers earlier this week, and they were not accepted, and all went to auction sale today.
I offered $3,000. for the double visible gas pump, $750. for the air pump, and $175. for the extinguisher, which I taught was high, but I wanted them.

I just got back from the auction, which I registered to bid, hoping to get the items cheaper then what I offered in the first place. Turns out I was nowhere near the actual selling prices, which were way, way, way out of my buying potential.

The double visible gas pump sold for $9750., plus 10% auction fees, plus 13% HST.
The air pump sold for $1,200., +,+.
The brass extinguisher went for $210., +,+.

The prices of the porcelain signs were simply outrageous, Player's cigarettes $13,800. yes, $13,800.

Oil cans averaged $30./pc.

Scott (pettybludart), hang on to that Red Indian oil sign. Red Indian, gas pump globes sold for $2,400. and a RED INDIAN oil & gas, 60" porcelain signs went for $5,500.

And I was under the impression, that we were slowly climbing out of a recession.

Giles

-
Back