aux gas gauge voltage limiter help

-

KIII

Reaction score
I have a 73 dart sport with a rallye dash. My gas gauge has been broken since I got the car. My dad made a gas gauge and we had an old voltage limiter from the stock dash. Is there any way to wire up the gas gauge with the vl below, so I can have a temp gas gauge?

1327018421.jpg

You'll have to find out from the gauge maker what it requires. Some aftermarket gauges don't use a limiter. You'll also have to find out what the gauge requires as a sending unit. Not all have the same resistance.

You'll have to find out from the gauge maker what it requires. Some aftermarket gauges don't use a limiter. You'll also have to find out what the gauge requires as a sending unit. Not all have the same resistance.

I forgot to mention that the gauge is from the stock dash, along with the vl.

Of course. No reason why not. Are you saying the gauge won't fit your dash? Not that much work to remove the cluster and install it if so.

Otherwise, you can certainly wire it up. You have a shop manual? Download one here

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=132309&highlight=manual,+download

This page may give you some help with the socket connections. In the photo,

The top blade is ground,

The center terminal is switched ignition (switched 12V input)

The bottom terminal is the 5V output to the gauges

Note that the center blade is offset to one side which should help you orient the device

Sorry, it doesn't look like a stock gauge to me.
I fabbed it outta the stock cluster. It was hammered and the fuel gauge was the only good gauge(9v batt. test) We have a rallye dash installed which has a faulty fuel gauge. Eventually we have to send it out to get the tach and fuel gauge working. This is just a temporary set-up. mocked out of the stock gauge and a halogen light housing. Gas guessing ain't no fun.

Attachments

• IMG_20111205_145409.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 152
If the original limiter inside that fuel gauge is bad, simply attaching a external limiter may not fix anything. Shorted or crossed circuits inside there can cook that mechanical limiter or all the gauges. Some owners have took there panel out several times and tried serveral different limiters before they learned where the actual problem was.

If the original limiter inside that fuel gauge is bad, simply attaching a external limiter may not fix anything. Shorted or crossed circuits inside there can cook that mechanical limiter or all the gauges. Some owners have took there panel out several times and tried serveral different limiters before they learned where the actual problem was.
We are planning to send the Rallye dash for an overhaul. The aux. gas gauge is just temporary. I believe it works because when we hook it up (jumping it from the cluster prongs on back of rallye dash) the gauge moves to full. So, do all the gauges have internal limiters? The aux. gauge is one I removed from the stock 73 DDS. Would correct wiring be , sending wire to + tab, + gauge wire to other tab, - gauge wire to ground tab? Thnx.

Ok now I'm totally confused. I thought you were trying to fix the car.
The only factory gauge with a internal limiter is the original fuel gauge in the rallye panel. Whether the gauge in the picture requires and limiter or contains a limiter I dont know.
How to connect an aftermarket gauge, I dont know. Sorry

the aux.gauge we installed is the gauge from the stock dash.we inserted a rallye dash,but used the original fuel gauge for my aux.one.the limiter was necessary.we hooked it up and its working fine with a limiter.thanks gents for your help!!

-
Back