AVS throttle screw retainer

-

Gerry Holmes

Reaction score
does anyone have a part number, or know where to buy the white, nylon (i think) bushing that has a tab, and slides into the hole that the throttle idle setting screw goes into, and then the throttle idle screw goes into it and expands it to hold the screw on an AVS. thanks Gerry

All of mine have a screw and a spring, that screws into a tab on the side of the carb.

does anyone have a part number, or know where to buy the white, nylon (i think) bushing that has a tab, and slides into the hole that the throttle idle setting screw goes into, and then the throttle idle screw goes into it and expands it to hold the screw on an AVS. thanks Gerry

Gerry...do you have a pic of the area in question? I have a couple AVS's around, but mine just have the screw threading into a tab off the main body casting w/ a spring to hold it.

:worthles:

i have a picture, but can't get photobucket to take it right now, but the 3 AVS'S i have are all the same. in that tab were the idle screw goes is this ivory colored bushing that pushes into that tab from the back side. the screw and spring then thread into it and spread it to hold the idle screw firmly, it works like the inserts that one would put in sheetrock to hold a screw. thanks Gerry

i have a picture, but can't get photobucket to take it right now, thanks Gerry

Try resizing (smaller) the pic and post it directly here. 640x480 or 800x600 works here.

Here's a pic of an AVS that looks like mine....no nylon bushing...

Attachments

• AVS.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 222
i have a picture, but can't get photobucket to take it right now, but the 3 AVS'S i have are all the same. in that tab were the idle screw goes is this ivory colored bushing that pushes into that tab from the back side. the screw and spring then thread into it and spread it to hold the idle screw firmly, it works like the inserts that one would put in sheetrock to hold a screw. thanks Gerry

We really need to see the pictures. I've had about 20 of them over the years and none of them had what you discribed.

I had the same problem and I fixed it with this

Attachments

• hly-0-82751_w.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 209
I have six or seven AVSs here, nothing like that in any of them. Could that be something that was put in there when the screw striped out.

I agree. Never seen that item before.

Hey mulli....Don't you know...Holley's suck!!!....:toothy8::toothy8::blob::D:D

LOL.

.................Out of the 20 some odd carbs i've had i have never seen that, but then i didnt work on any mopars till the middle seventies..............kim..........

Another vote for the never seen????????on any carb?

Would love to know the story behind it though. Were these carbs built in different plants, could that be the difference, i have no idea :-k.

What is the part number of the carb you are working with ? I have only seen them on later carbs.

two of the carbs are 4966S from 69-71 440s, and the other one is off a 383 N code, all have the same bushing. and it must be original, because of the tab on the bushing to stop it from turning when tightening the idle screw, and a machined slot in the casting to hold that tab in place. i just called a local carburetor rebuilder and he says that its an original part, and he gets people calling for this part every now and then, but he hasn't found a supplier, all he does is double nut the screw, when he needs one, but to me that seems like a pain, so i'll try the plastic wall anchors. also because of the size of the bore that this bushing goes in, threading it to accept another screw wouldn't work as it would be to weak.

two of the carbs are 4966S from 69-71 440s, and the other one is off a 383 N code, all have the same bushing. and it must be original, because of the tab on the bushing to stop it from turning when tightening the idle screw, and a machined slot in the casting to hold that tab in place. i just called a local carburetor rebuilder and he says that its an original part, and he gets people calling for this part every now and then, but he hasn't found a supplier, all he does is double nut the screw, when he needs one, but to me that seems like a pain, so i'll try the plastic wall anchors. also because of the size of the bore that this bushing goes in, threading it to accept another screw wouldn't work as it would be to weak.

4966 is a 71 non HP 440 carb ... 625 cfm, it's not a 69 or 70 carb. I had one and I don't remember it having that, but I have seen it on others. A screw and double nut is definitely a hack job .

I'd be looking at putting a keensert or timesert in it .

Just found a 4966s in my parts shelf that is set up for that bushing, not in it though.

-
Back